╌>

9-year-old girl thrown in the air after Yellowstone bison attacks

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  55 comments

9-year-old girl thrown in the air after Yellowstone bison attacks
A crowd of tourists was getting a look at a massive bison when suddenly it charged, sending them running. The animal struck a 9-year-old girl, sending her flying through the air, and the encounter was captured in a dramatic video. First responders said she was not seriously injured.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

National parks are wondrous places, but also dangerous. Maybe there needs to be more supervision?

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.1  bccrane  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

That was a bull and, sorry to point this out, women need to be mindful of their periods when getting close to testosterone fueled animals like that buffalo that can smell the estrogen when the female is in heat.  We had a bull that was tame, we could scratch his back and hand feed him, one day my sister visited and walked up to the fence to pet the bull, it was like you flipped a switch, he turned ugly and tried to come through the fence at her, after that we couldn't control him and butchered him a year later.  To the bull, the cow in heat was behind my sister and she was in his way and we all became something that was in his way.

Like I told my son when we visited Yellowstone and a group of people taking pictures of a bear, my son asked what if the bear charged us, I said the only thing you need to remember is that you just have to run faster than the slowest person here.  This girl unfortunately was the slowest one there.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  bccrane @1.1    5 years ago

women need to be mindful of their periods when getting close to testosterone fueled animals 

I can't believe that you even went there.  That is the same lame argument that those two lawyers used when their presser attacked and killed a woman in the hallway of her apartment.  I doubt the nine year old was on her period anyway.  If anything, the bull may have smelled the pure fear and centered its rage on the smallest of the people there.  What if the girl had been a boy?  

bccrane
Freshman Silent
1.1.2  bccrane  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.1    5 years ago

can't believe that you even went there

Sorry but that is nature.  Did I say it was the girl?  No.  Any female there could have set the bull bison off, the only thing in this animals mind is there is a cow in heat there somewhere, it's just that all these other critters around him were in the way.  If this just happened then this should be the breeding season in order for the cow to calve around late March to May.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  bccrane @1.1.2    5 years ago
Any female there could have set the bull bison off

Is there any evidence this is what occurred?

the only thing in this animals mind is there is a cow in heat there

Any evidence this is what it was thinking?

I choose to believe that it charged due to being surrounded, approached far to closely and responded appropriately to a perceived threat.  But the fact is neither you, I, nor anyone else knows the actual reason the bison charged

Enoch
Masters Quiet
1.2  Enoch  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

Dear Friend Perrie: More supervision of the animals or the visitors?

There are petting zoos with trained people friendly animals with staff close by for letting kids enjoy animal contact safely.

Beasts in the wild, that is a whole other story.

Particularly carnivores.

Where are the adults in these situations?

P&AB.

Enoch.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Enoch @1.2    5 years ago

Bison and buffalo are not carnivores.  They will kill a source of meat, but rarely if ever, eat it.  They prefer grass and foliage.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

From the video, it looks like the people were without a doubt too close to that big rogue bull to begin with. I've seen them up close and personal myself when I was stationed the Marine Corps base at Camp Pendelton in CA and it was a uncomfortable situation to say the least. That child was extremely fortunate.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.3    5 years ago

Having done training at CP a lot, I had a chance to view these awesome creatures on more than one occasion.  But my viewing was done with a set of field glasses from a very safe distance.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
1.4  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago
Maybe there needs to be more supervision?

Parental supervision.  Maybe it's just me but in order to protect my children, I'd be the one taking that hit long before my child does.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2  Vic Eldred    5 years ago

Where were that girl's parents?

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    5 years ago

Supervising the supervision of their daughter , going on the Buffalo Wings Ride, without flapping

or

wings

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1    5 years ago

Yep, in the early to mid 80's when I was there, there was sizable herd up at Casey Springs up in the mountains. Watched a huge rogue bull stand off a P7 AMTRAC one day. That bull just stood in the middle of that dirt road by the lake in front of that AMTRAK and refused to budge. Even charged it a few times. The crew finally backed the vehicle up, went off road to cut a wide berth around the vehicle and it still charged them. me and my fishing buddy just laughed our tails off, but kept a discreet and safe distance anyway.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.1    5 years ago

Sorry, this comment was meant for Paula in response post #1.3.1.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
2.2  bccrane  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    5 years ago

Taking video.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.3  katrix  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    5 years ago

According to one account, trying to pet the bison.

Stupid, stupid people.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @2    5 years ago

Doing their Jesse Owen's imitations.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     5 years ago
Maybe there needs to be more supervision?

No, there doesn't need to be more supervision. There needs to be less stupid people. They are wild animals, it's not a frickin petting zoo.

I've been to most of the Western National parks numerous times including Yellowstone. At Yellowstone there is a Rangers information building which has film and do's and don't for the park and the animals. Rangers also roam the park but they cannot make up for the stupidity of people. 

On one visit we say a women walk up to a heard of elk, people yelling at here not to get any closer. What does she do but walk up to a bull elk (10 ft or so) and try to take a picture. The next thing she was flying through the air with the elk determined to crush her. A ranger risked his life to save one stupid women. 

This is not the first time that buffalo or other animals at the park have sent stupid people flying, and it won't be the last. 

In this video you can see someone throw a stick at the buffalo, hitting it, and then it charged. 

You can't fix stupid.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago

Park rules - stay 25 YARDS away from the Bison and Elk, 50 YARDS away from Bears.  Idiot people thought it would be "cute" to get a pic of them petting the Bison.  Sorry folks, that's a helluva lot closer than 25 YARDS.  If ya can't follow the rules, you deserve what you get.

Lucky she wasn't hurt.  Parents should be banned from the park.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3    5 years ago
No, there doesn't need to be more supervision. There needs to be less stupid people.

I concur. Saw a father taking a photo of his family standing in front of a herd of buffalo at Yellowstone. The family was maybe 10 feet from the herd.

All I can say is stupid people get lucky

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     5 years ago

The phrase ''Buffalo Jam'' has a different meaning in Yellowstone. 

When a a herd of buffalo decide to cross the road all traffic stops...One time we were driving through Yellowstone in a F250 Turbo Diesel which is quite high. We were stopped to let the buffalo cross the road. They decided they didn't want to cross it but walk directly up the road. A bull was right next to my truck and his back (hump) was level with the drivers window...that will give you an idea how large these animals are. A few cars ahead of us a bull turned and attacked a car doing a lot of damage when contintued up the road. I spoke to the women in the car who was a native to the area and had driven the road for over 20 years. She had her window down and whisled when the bull was next to the car...It seems that the bull didn't like be whisled at..

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1  pat wilson  replied to  Kavika @4    5 years ago

I had a similar experience about 15 years ago. My daughter and I were visiting Yellowstone when the traffic started backing up, we wondered what the cause was when we saw a bison walking down the road toward us in the opposite lane. My daughter was driving and as he was passing us I said "Honey, roll down the window and pet the bison" of course that didn't happen, lol. 

That beast was awesome, a living nature habitat unto himself with leaves and vines threaded through his fur and insects hovering around.

Needless to say the bison had the right of way that day.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6  Freefaller    5 years ago

I live up by Banff and Jasper national parks and we hear stories about this kind of stupidity all the time.  People wild animals are called wild for a reason, give them a wide berth.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1  katrix  replied to  Freefaller @6    5 years ago

When I went to Alaska, it was June - we were told to be far more leery of moose than of bears. The hiking trail near our lodge was closed due to moose sightings.

A mama moose trampled a little girl to death while we were there - she was playing in her backyard and a moose calf was apparently hidden in the hedge near her property. Her friend made it to the house, but she didn't. Moose have also attacked people cycling.

A lot of people seem to think that herbivores are somehow not dangerous, despite the very clear warnings. Even our white-tailed deer have been known to attack people, although it's rare. Generally it's them running in front of your car that kills you (I can't even imagine hitting a moose - its belly would probably take the top of your car, and your head, clean off).

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  katrix @6.1    5 years ago

When I moved to Anchorage, I decided to catch the 4 am bus and go explore the city and look for a job.  I was on the bus bench, enjoying a tuna fish sandwich.  It was at least 30 degrees but suddenly the air above my head became warm and unbelievably smelly.  I tipped my head back and found myself staring into two of biggest nostrils I had ever seen.  The moose made no aggressive moves so I backed away very slowly, leaving the sandwich on the bench.  He gobbled it up and walked away.  I think he was just hungry.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  katrix @6.1    5 years ago

Last week, I was walking my dog when a white-tail ran toward us, rather than away.  It stopped well away from us, but I kept a pretty close eye on it until the whole herd took off running.  I'm not sure if it was curious, protective, or what.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.2    5 years ago

I grew up in an area that had a lot of wildlife. Moose, black bear, wolf, bobcat, lynx, badger ets. 

It was not unusual to see any of the above on our property...The one animal that you watched out above all was a moose. The are very unpredictable most of the time and during rutting the bull will attack anything, anybody, anywhere. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kavika @6.1.3    5 years ago

We have deer in the yard every night, and an occasional bear or fox.  The dog tried to run after a bear cub once, and I had to haul his silly butt home by force to keep us both alive.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
6.1.5  katrix  replied to  Kavika @6.1.3    5 years ago
The one animal that you watched out above all was a moose.

And apparently mama moose with calves are almost as bad as the rutting bulls.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Kavika   replied to  katrix @6.1.5    5 years ago
And apparently mama moose with calves are almost as bad as the rutting bulls.

That is very true. Students harassed a cow and her calf for hours on college campus in Alaska. She, in turn, attacked and killed a college professor. 

How ignorant students were allowed to harass a cow and her calf for hours is amazing. What the frick is wrong with people.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  katrix @6.1.5    5 years ago

Mr Giggles was fishing in his favorite slough one night when we lived in Alaska. I didn't know where it was because he kept it a secret from everyone.

As he was throwing out his line he saw a calf come down to the slough for a drink. He knew Mama was not far behind and sure enough, she appeared. He stood stock still and thought..."Nobody knows where I'm at. When I don't come home, Giggles won't know where to send the Search and Recovery Team."

Mama and calf calmly walked away and Mr G got the hell out of there and went home

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.2    5 years ago

A buck put my uncle in the hospital. Uncle John was minding his own business in his own yard and this damn buck came out of nowhere and attacked him

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
6.1.9  dave-2693993  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    5 years ago

I like that story.

TTGA
Professor Silent
6.2  TTGA  replied to  Freefaller @6    5 years ago
People wild animals are called wild for a reason, give them a wide berth.

They might also want to keep in mind that human beings are also wild animals.  In the case of people, rural or urban, while a wide berth may not be needed, a certain amount of caution is indicated.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7  pat wilson    5 years ago

The video clip I saw showed two adults running away as the 9 year old was charged. Sad.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8  Sunshine    5 years ago

I think I would instinctively grab or block the child. 

Looked like a rag doll flying through air.  Poor thing, must have been terrified.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1  Freefaller  replied to  Sunshine @8    5 years ago
I think I would instinctively grab or block the child.

Lol, I'm not saying you wouldn't but I'm sure the parents would have thought the same until 2,000 lbs of angry Bison charged

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
8.1.1  Sunshine  replied to  Freefaller @8.1    5 years ago

We don't know if they where the parents, but I would without hesitation protect a child.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @8.1    5 years ago

I used to ride bulls in non sanctioned rodeo events. My father wasn't going to leave it up to the clowns to protect me and jumped into the arena when I got thrown once to divert the bull's attention.  When the bull went for him, I was able to clear the arena.  He also escaped with no injuries.  I was, to say the least, pissed that he would pull such a stupid stunt.  He told me that I was his child and it was his job to protect me from danger if possible.  He said that is what father's are supposed to do.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1.2    5 years ago

Your father is a good man.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.1.4  Freefaller  replied to  Sunshine @8.1.1    5 years ago
but I would without hesitation protect a child

It's good you know yourself so well.  Personally I have no idea how I would react as I've never been charged by a big wild animal before.  I would like to think I'd react as you have but having never been in that situation can't say for sure.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @8.1.3    5 years ago

That he was.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
10  Split Personality    5 years ago

Somewhere in a very old  shoe box I have old, very old, and very blurry pictures to prove this.

In the early 70's we went to one of those drive through zoos in the middle of July in an old Camaro.

At some point traffic was just stopped, no one could see anything except a baby bear next to the roadway.

Naturally, the A/C quit and the car started to overheat...

The driver and the woman in the right front cracked their windows open a few inches

despite the park 'rangers' in a Jeep in the nearby field yelling at everyone not to do that.

So of course the "baby bear" stands up right next to our car and immediately has his claws and front upper teeth pulling on the window.

Being in the back seat we were trapped. 

The right front passenger is now on her husband's ( the driver) lap and he tries to move the car and it stalls.

A "ranger appears on the driver's side and sees whats going on inside the car and sprays the bear.

I swear the bear laughed.

Then as he had one hand in the car, we all heard the Jeep at the same time, and they literally hit the bear with the Jeep.

After that we got an earfull from 'rangers on both sides of the car,

which miraculously restarted and we 'escaped'.

Next stop was the baboons,

bored poop throwing, masterbating, car disassembling baboons with an assortment of car antennas for sale.

after words we needed "minds-eye-bleach"

a very, very thorough car wash

and new wiper blades......

Never again.

True story Kav, lol

Tacos!
Professor Guide
12  Tacos!    5 years ago

Sometimes I have doubts, but right this minute, I feel pretty good about my performance as a parent since not one of my progeny has ever been stampeded by a freakin bison.

I guess there will always be morons who think that the wilderness is some kind of petting zoo and all wild animals crave human attention.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
12.1  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @12    5 years ago

One group wants to hug them, regardless of the ticks and odors...and danger.

Another wants to assassinate them and hang their heads on a den wall as trophies...

Ender
Professor Principal
14  Ender    5 years ago

I saw this. The people ran without a thought for the child. I wouldn't have gotten that close anyway but I would tend to think, instead of running for myself I would have grabbed my child, then ran.