╌>

Even the Mildest Form of Gun Control Could Have Prevented the Odessa Shooting

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  5 years ago  •  10 comments

Even the Mildest Form of Gun Control Could Have Prevented the Odessa Shooting

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

One of the current enthusiasms through which our government attempts to address this country's insane affection for its firearms is something called a "red-flag law." Basically, these laws allow courts to remove firearms from those people shown to be a threat to themselves and others.  States—17 of them now—have been passing them  for a while against the usual resistance from the usual quarters. Generally, however, they pass with considerable bipartisan support, largely because they seem relatively immune from the gun-fondling lobby's hatred for laws that make sense. Even Mitch McConnell expressed qualified support for the laws, and that was before Seth Ator went on his killing spree in west Texas

Things like red-flag laws are the mildest form of gun-control as can be imagined. And the reason that they're mild is that they make too much sense. Thanks to some great reporting from JohnMcCormick of the San Antonio Express-News , we learn that Seth Ator  pretty much was dressed in red flags  for some time.

They also said he no longer resembled the healthy, grinning man depicted in a 2001 police mug shot, from when he was arrested in Waco on charges of criminal trespass and evading arrest. He later failed a firearms background check and was prevented from buying a gun.

It was unclear how he obtained the rifle he used Saturday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

He was arrested in Waco on charges of criminal trespass and evading arrest. He later failed a firearms background check and was prevented from buying a gun.

As Trump has pointed out (after he received that phone call from the NRA), background checks don't work.

(And background check are clearly an infringement on our 2nd Amendment rights. Perhaps we can MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN by eliminating them entirely?)

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @1    5 years ago

He obtained a weapon without going through a background check. Had he been adjudicated by the courts to determine if he was in fact a pending threat? What is it you don't understand about criminals or a disturbed wacko not submitting to a background check? The get the guns illegally.

The ban all guns crowd sure seems to have a bunch of simplistic solutions to the problem of gun violence. What about the other article about the daily shootings in Chicago. Don't black lives matter?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

It was unclear how he obtained the rifle he used Saturday. “

Does anyone else find it more than a bit strange that politicians in Texas won't reveal how he obtained the gun he used?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Krishna @2    5 years ago

How would they know? My most powerful weapon is a 30-06 I’ve had since I was fourteen years old. The government doesn’t even know I have it. My grandmother picked me up one day and we drove to the gun shop. She said pick one out and I did a Belgium made Browning semi auto. She payed for it the clerk handed the gun to me and she never even touched it. While grateful at the time I had no idea how much that gift would mean to me years after she was gone. I’m sure not going to let anyone know where I keep it. Colorado’s red flag is useless seeing as how the cops have no idea I own it or where it is hidden. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1    5 years ago

Colorado’s red flag is useless seeing as how the cops have no idea I own it or where it is hidden. 

And a large number of Colorado sherrifs have said they would not enforce it. It could end up getting law enforcement officers shot.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    5 years ago

The facts in this article seem to contradict the central claim in the headline. 

The claim:

Even The Mildest Form Of Gun Control Could Have Prevented The Odessa Shooting

The fact:

He later failed a firearms background check and was prevented from buying a gun.

OK, that sounds like gun control actually working.

Another fact:

It was unclear how he obtained the rifle he used Saturday

If we don't know how he got the gun, then the writer has no business making claims about what would have prevented the shooting.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    5 years ago

The facts in this article seem to contradict the central claim in the headline. 

The claim:

Even The Mildest Form Of Gun Control Could Have Prevented The Odessa Shooting

The writer was referring to  "Red Flag Laws".

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @4    5 years ago
The writer was referring to  "Red Flag Laws".

I understand that, but in doing so he fails to acknowledge that the "mildest form of gun control" is already in place and then some. Furthermore, it's apparently functioning as intended.

In my estimation, the writer's purpose is to get his readers angry because there is not even a minimal level of gun control. But that characterization is false.

We can only speculate, but I would guess this guy actually broke a law in obtaining his weapon.