╌>

Celebrating 25 years of ‘Friends’ with the show’s creators

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  5 years ago  •  29 comments

Celebrating 25 years of ‘Friends’ with the show’s creators
“Friends” creators Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman and David Crane discuss the show’s enduring appeal with NBC’s Joe Fryer. A New York City pop-up based on the show sold out weeks in advance.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    5 years ago

It's strange how some shows will be enjoyed by future generations. Is there a show that speaks to you. 

Mine is "Mad about you". What was yours?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    5 years ago

I loved "Mad About You."  Paul and Jamie were such a good couple, and for a sit-com couple, they were pretty real.  It wasn't all laughs.

TV was so much better then, before reality TV became all the rage.

Another one I loved was "Family Ties".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    5 years ago

Funny you should mention "Family Ties". We just started rewatching it on one of those oldies TV show. It was very well done. 

And we found "Mad about you" on "Stars", so we are watching that, too. It was a very real look at marriage and I guess that is why it has lasting power. It also had a great theme song, that was written by Paul Reiser and played by Andrew Gold (they guy who wrote the songs, "Lonely Boy" and "Thank you for being a friend", which was used by "The Golden Girls"

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2  dave-2693993    5 years ago

It has been so long since watching TV shows.

The first show that comes to mind is the original black and white Dr. Who.

Waiting up to 1 AM on Sunday mornings to catch a couple episode once a week.

Interesting exercise of time, space and "humanity".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @2    5 years ago

We watch a lot of sci-fi but never Dr. Who. My daughter does. We just finished "Another Life" which was really good, but I have to say, you should watch "The Expanse". It's amazing. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    5 years ago
The Expanse

Thank you Perrie.

I read a couple right ups of "The Expanse".

Early on in both write ups my mind drifted towards The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. 

Then the write ups obviously went forward in to other directions.

Might be worth finding the books.

About the Martian Chronicles, there was a tv very mini series (maybe 2 or 3 parts) made in the early 80s which tried to portray the story.

Somewhat of a disappointment as it seemed to literally portray Bradbury's words without cashing in on the imagination stirring that his words always invoked.

Well, maybe I have something new to read.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.1    5 years ago

There was a mini-series in the '80s that was I think 6 parts long. I thought it was pretty good. It even included "There will come soft rains" which shocked me. 

The Expanse is as much about human nature as it is about space and mystery. It is very unique and very well told. It is most def worth the watch. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.1    5 years ago

Dave,

If you want to read the books ( yes there are 8 and counting) read the review here:

It is what the TV series is based on. Both give you something interesting and different. 

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
2.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.3    5 years ago

I might take a look where I can find the shows online and take a look. Then order some paperbacks as well.

Thank you Perrie.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    5 years ago

Frasier, King Of Queens, and MASH (first three seasons). Seinfeld goes without saying. 

I was not a fan of Friends at all.  Boring. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @3    5 years ago

"Frasier" and "Cheers" were both great.  Well, "Cheers" was great until Shelly Long left.  I like Kirstie Alley, but she and Ted Danson didn't have the same chemistry.

"MASH" is one of the best shows ever made.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1    5 years ago

I have to agree with Sandy, totally!

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     5 years ago

I love ''Inner Sanctum''.....Oh wait, that was radio...Oh well, I still loved it. 

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1  Ender  replied to  Kavika @5    5 years ago

Video killed the radio star.

dave-2693993
Junior Quiet
5.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Ender @5.1    5 years ago

One of my favorites.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
6  GaJenn78    5 years ago

Hallmark channel plays the Golden Girls every morning at 7. My girls and I watch that while they are getting ready in the mornings :-)