Celebrating 25 years of ‘Friends’ with the show’s creators

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  one month ago  •  29 comments

Celebrating 25 years of ‘Friends’ with the show’s creators
“Friends” creators Kevin Bright, Marta Kauffman and David Crane discuss the show’s enduring appeal with NBC’s Joe Fryer. A New York City pop-up based on the show sold out weeks in advance.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    one month ago

It's strange how some shows will be enjoyed by future generations. Is there a show that speaks to you. 

Mine is "Mad about you". What was yours?

sandy-2021492
1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    one month ago

I loved "Mad About You."  Paul and Jamie were such a good couple, and for a sit-com couple, they were pretty real.  It wasn't all laughs.

TV was so much better then, before reality TV became all the rage.

Another one I loved was "Family Ties".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1    one month ago

Funny you should mention "Family Ties". We just started rewatching it on one of those oldies TV show. It was very well done. 

And we found "Mad about you" on "Stars", so we are watching that, too. It was a very real look at marriage and I guess that is why it has lasting power. It also had a great theme song, that was written by Paul Reiser and played by Andrew Gold (they guy who wrote the songs, "Lonely Boy" and "Thank you for being a friend", which was used by "The Golden Girls"

dave-2693993
2  dave-2693993    one month ago

It has been so long since watching TV shows.

The first show that comes to mind is the original black and white Dr. Who.

Waiting up to 1 AM on Sunday mornings to catch a couple episode once a week.

Interesting exercise of time, space and "humanity".

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @2    one month ago

We watch a lot of sci-fi but never Dr. Who. My daughter does. We just finished "Another Life" which was really good, but I have to say, you should watch "The Expanse". It's amazing. 

dave-2693993
2.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 weeks ago
The Expanse

Thank you Perrie.

I read a couple right ups of "The Expanse".

Early on in both write ups my mind drifted towards The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury. 

Then the write ups obviously went forward in to other directions.

Might be worth finding the books.

About the Martian Chronicles, there was a tv very mini series (maybe 2 or 3 parts) made in the early 80s which tried to portray the story.

Somewhat of a disappointment as it seemed to literally portray Bradbury's words without cashing in on the imagination stirring that his words always invoked.

Well, maybe I have something new to read.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

There was a mini-series in the '80s that was I think 6 parts long. I thought it was pretty good. It even included "There will come soft rains" which shocked me. 

The Expanse is as much about human nature as it is about space and mystery. It is very unique and very well told. It is most def worth the watch. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  dave-2693993 @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

Dave,

If you want to read the books ( yes there are 8 and counting) read the review here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)

It is what the TV series is based on. Both give you something interesting and different. 

dave-2693993
2.1.4  dave-2693993  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.3    4 weeks ago

I might take a look where I can find the shows online and take a look. Then order some paperbacks as well.

Thank you Perrie.

JohnRussell
3  JohnRussell    one month ago

Frasier, King Of Queens, and MASH (first three seasons). Seinfeld goes without saying. 

I was not a fan of Friends at all.  Boring. 

sandy-2021492
3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  JohnRussell @3    one month ago

"Frasier" and "Cheers" were both great.  Well, "Cheers" was great until Shelly Long left.  I like Kirstie Alley, but she and Ted Danson didn't have the same chemistry.

"MASH" is one of the best shows ever made.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1    one month ago

I have to agree with Sandy, totally!

Kathleen
4  Kathleen    one month ago

I was never big on most of the current tv shows except for The Big Bang Theory.  I loved  the older ones like The Andy Griffith Show, All in the Family, TZ and some of the British shows. The British one I am watching now is Call the Midwife. Its on Netflix, and very good.

sandy-2021492
4.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @4    one month ago

I love "Call the Midwife".  I think I cry at almost every episode. 

Kathleen
4.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1    one month ago

It’s so good isn’t it...

I accidentally came across it a week ago and now I am on the third season. Me too, I cried at lots of them.  I like all the characters, especially the nun that does not hold back and tells it like it is.  Chummy is a favorite of mine too.  Great show...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.1    one month ago

Thanks for recommendation. I never heard of it. 

Kathleen
4.1.3  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.2    one month ago

Give it a try and see what you think, the stories are heartwarming and very tense.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
4.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.3    one month ago

I think I will! Thanks Kathleen.

sandy-2021492
4.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.2    one month ago

It's excellent - based on the memoirs of a nurse for the NHS starting in the 50's, and following the same clinic (which was a joint venture by the NHS and an Anglican convent) through the 60s (so far).  There's heartbreak, triumph, and comedy, and so many social issues are handled with sensitivity.

sandy-2021492
4.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.1    one month ago

Ah, Sister Evangelina - definitely a favorite.

I grew to like Chummy eventually, but she bugged me at first.

And Sister Julienne is a model of serenity and grace.

Trixie's competency as a midwife is so downplayed in the first several seasons.  I came to think that she should have been in a hospital as an Ob/Gyn, handling high-risk patients.

Kathleen
4.1.7  Kathleen  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.6    one month ago

Sister Julienne does handle everything with dignity and grace. Yes I do agree about Trixie, after watching her, she is very capable of being a GYN.  

One day I had the windows open, I am surprised the neighbors were not wondering what was going on with the women going into labor. 

I can’t wait to watch some more....

Ender
4.2  Ender  replied to  Kathleen @4    4 weeks ago

Use to love watching the British shows on PBS.

Loved Benny Hill. One of my favorites was Are You Being Served.

Absolutely Fabulous was another one I would catch.

Kathleen
4.2.1  Kathleen  replied to  Ender @4.2    4 weeks ago

I watched Are You Being Served too!  I could never understand why they had the floor walker. He stood there doing nothing. The older lady would dye her hair different colors. 

There is another called The Grand and Upstairs Downstairs.  

Benny Hill was so funny.

Ender
4.2.2  Ender  replied to  Kathleen @4.2.1    4 weeks ago

Served was great. Could be a little crass but was funny. I need to go home and tend to my pussy.

I don't know about the stairs one, will have to look for it. I do remember one about a hotel during WW2, or something like that.

Kavika
5  Kavika     one month ago

I love ''Inner Sanctum''.....Oh wait, that was radio...Oh well, I still loved it. 

Ender
5.1  Ender  replied to  Kavika @5    4 weeks ago

Video killed the radio star.

dave-2693993
5.1.1  dave-2693993  replied to  Ender @5.1    4 weeks ago

One of my favorites.

GaJenn78
6  GaJenn78    one month ago

Hallmark channel plays the Golden Girls every morning at 7. My girls and I watch that while they are getting ready in the mornings :-)

Kathleen
6.1  Kathleen  replied to  GaJenn78 @6    one month ago

I forgot about them, they are another that is so good. Betty White is a sweetheart.