Overview of Intimate Partner Violence [aka domestic violence)

Via:  loretta-mashkawidee-kemsley  •  4 weeks ago  •  35 comments

Overview of Intimate Partner Violence [aka domestic violence)
Historically called "domestic violence," "intimate partner violence" describes physical, sexual, or psychological harm by a current or former intimate partner or spouse.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Violence by an intimate partner is linked to both immediate and long-term health, social, and economic consequences. Factors at all levels — individual, relationship, community, and societal — contribute to intimate partner violence.  This type of violence can occur among heterosexual or same-sex couples.

Preventing intimate partner violence requires reaching a clear understanding of those factors, coordinating resources, and fostering and initiating change in individuals, families, and society.

Types of Intimate Partner Violence

NIJ has often partnered with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on the issue of violence against women, in particular by cosponsoring the National Violence Against Women Survey (NVAWS). The CDC's  National Center for Injury Prevention and Control , which spotlights injury and violence prevention topics, defines four main types of intimate partner violence: [1]

• Physical violence is the intentional use of physical force (e.g., shoving, choking, shaking, slapping, punching, burning, or use of a weapon, restraints, or one's size and strength against another person) with the potential for causing death, disability, injury, or physical harm.

• Sexual violence can be divided into three categories: (1) the use of physical force to compel a person to engage in a sexual act unwillingly, whether or not the act is completed; (2) an attempted or completed sexual act involving a person who, because of illness, disability, or the influence of alcohol or other drugs, or because of intimidation or pressure, is unable to understand the nature or condition of the act, decline participation, or communicate unwillingness to engage in the act; and (3) abusive sexual contact.

• Threats of physical or sexual violence communicate the intent to cause death, disability, injury, or physical harm through the use of words, gestures, or weapons.

• Psychological/emotional violence traumatizes the victim by acts, threats of acts, or coercive tactics (e.g., humiliating the victim, controlling what the victim can and cannot do, withholding information, isolating the victim from friends and family, denying access to money or other basic resources). In most cases, emotional violence has been preceded by acts or threats of physical or sexual violence.

Stalking is often included among types of intimate partner violence. Stalking generally refers to harassing or threatening behavior that an individual engages in repeatedly, such as sending the victim unwanted presents, following or laying in wait for the victim, damaging or threatening to damage the victim's property, appearing at a victim's home or place of business, defaming the victim's character or spreading rumors, or harassing the victim via the Internet by posting personal information. [2] As with perpetrators of physical and sexual violence, stalkers may be motivated by a desire to exert control over their victims. Stalking and intimate partner violence may co-occur.

Learn more about stalking from NIJ's Stalking Web page.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
Find text within the comments Find 

Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley
1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley    4 weeks ago

Feminists have long addressed the issue of domestic violence. Few people know the prohibition movement was anchored in domestic violence. At that time, it was believed men beat their wives because they were drunk. Of course, that wasn't true. Sober men batter their wives too.

The second wave of feminists began working on changing the laws concerning male violence inflicted upon women. One of the first changes they managed to get through were laws about domestic violence. However, the police refused to enforce those laws. In the 1960s, NOW sued the LAPD and won because of that reality. The LAPD was forced to respond because of that lawsuit. That was just one of meny lawsuits that were won on behalf of battered women.

By the 1970s, feminists first began speaking out in force. They changed the discussion by coining the term "domestic violence". That change alone drew attention to what has been a centuries old viciousness inflicted upon women by men who claim to love them.

At that time, seven American women were being slaughtered every single day by their intimate partners. By the 1990s, that number dropped to three per day, still horrendous but proving thousands of women's lives were saved by feminists who continued to educate the public by speaking out about it and refusing to let there be silence about it.

Since the idiot in the WH was elected, that number has gone back up to four per day -- a huge tragedy we should all be mourning but no one is talking about it. Silence from the WH is helping those who want to harm women as did the fact that millions of people voted for a man they knew was a sexual predator.

Please keep this in mind when you vote in 2020. Your vote has consequences.

squiggy
2  squiggy    4 weeks ago

“Since the idiot in the WH was elected, that number has gone back up to four per day...”

Where did that come from? Today’s trend seems to be ‘pimping women for political points’.

2.1  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  squiggy @2    4 weeks ago

That came from statistics. What a violent man does to the woman he claims to love is not connected to ‘pimping women for political points’. He abuses because patriarchal principles encourage him to abuse. Patriarchy claims men are superior and women are inferior, that men have the right to "control" women which translates into abuse when he's unhappy with something she has done or even when he's angry at someone else, like his boss.

Even pastors in the pulpit tell him he has the right to abuse, like Pat Robertson (on TV) said a man should beat his wife.

squiggy
2.1.1  squiggy  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1    4 weeks ago

“pimping women for political points’.”

Not men - it’s what you’re doing today. Trump is responsible for the global oppression of women - the day after ‘we should stop the hate’.

2.1.2  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  squiggy @2.1.1    4 weeks ago

If you want to talk about the men who've suffered from domestic violence, do your own seed. The reality is most of those men have been harmed by men, so I'm betting you won't do it. You just want to gripe because I'm posting about domestic violence, and you want the victims to remain silenced.

If helping women who've been battered by men is "pimping" them in your mind, that's a strange point of view, and it makes me wonder why you're concerned about keeping women silent.

MUVA
2.1.3  MUVA  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1.2    4 weeks ago

I bet you don't know this all men don't abuse their wives and most have never hit a women in their whole life.

squiggy
2.1.4  squiggy  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1.2    4 weeks ago

You’re mixing an anti-Trump agenda with sixty-year-old anecdotes as if they add validity to point. You’re just not fooling many people.

2.1.5  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  MUVA @2.1.3    4 weeks ago

So if most men don't batter their wives, it's okay for the others to batter their wives? The health and well being of their wives and children don't count.

Here's some statistics to read and contemplate:

Domestic Violence Statistics

• Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
  • Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
  • Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
  • Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
  • Nearly 1 in 5 teenage girls who have been in a relationship said a boyfriend threatened violence or self-harm if presented with a breakup.
  • Everyday in the US, more than three women are murdered by their husbands or boyfriends.
  • Ninety-two percent of women surveyed listed reducing domestic violence and sexual assault as their top concern.
  • Domestic violence victims lose nearly 8 million days of paid work per year in the US alone—the equivalent of 32,000 full-time jobs.
  • Based on reports from 10 countries, between 55 percent and 95 percent of women who had been physically abused by their partners had never contacted non-governmental organizations, shelters, or the police for help.
  • The costs of intimate partner violence in the US alone exceed $5.8 billion per year: $4.1 billion are for direct medical and health care services, while productivity losses account for nearly $1.8 billion.
  • Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives than sons of nonviolent parents.

Texan1211
2.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1.5    4 weeks ago
So if most men don't batter their wives, it's okay for the others to batter their wives? The health and well being of their wives and children don't count. 

I really admire your ability to read precisely what isn't written.

2.1.7  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  squiggy @2.1.4    4 weeks ago
You’re mixing an anti-Trump agenda with sixty-year-old anecdotes

Sixty year old anecdotes? Lol. That's called history and it is valid to talk about history. It is also valid to talk about the rise in domestic violence since the idiot was elected. Is that entirely his fault? No, but it is an indication of the mood of men during his time in office. He could do something about that other than brag about the assaults he's committed upon women, don't you think?

And he didn't need to make changes in the definition of domestic violence that helps men abuse women.

Did you vote for him knowing he was bragging about sexual assaults on a series of women? I don't think anyone who respected women could vote for him based on that alone.

"The previous definition included critical components of the phenomenon that experts recognize as domestic abuse—a pattern of deliberate behavior, the dynamics of power and control, and behaviors that encompass physical or sexual violence as well as forms of emotional, economic, or psychological abuse. But in the Trump Justice Department, only harms that constitute a felony or misdemeanor crime may be called domestic violence. So, for example, a woman whose partner isolates her from her family and friends, monitors her every move, belittles and berates her, or denies her access to money to support herself and her children is not a victim of domestic violence in the eyes of Trump’s Department of Justice. This makes no sense for an office charged with funding and implementing solutions to the problem of domestic violence rather than merely prosecuting individual abusers." 

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/01/trump-domestic-violence-definition-change.html

2.1.8  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.6    4 weeks ago
I really admire your ability to read precisely what isn't written.

That is the unspoken correlation of your objections to posting articles about domestic violence. You've done it on two articles so far. Since I'm going to continue posting and seeding no matter how much you object, you're going to really expose your agenda in silencing women who want to talk about domestic violence.

Now, why not discuss the realities of DV which I've been posting rather than objecting to my posting them? Why are you so dedicated to silencing women who want to talk about DV? Tell us. Don't be shy.

Texan1211
2.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1.8    4 weeks ago
That is the unspoken correlation of your objections to posting articles about domestic violence. You've done it on two articles so far. Since I'm going to continue posting and seeding no matter how much you object, you're going to really expose your agenda in silencing women who want to talk about domestic violence. 

That is a false statement. I have no objections to your articles. Quote me if you can objecting to this or any other of your articles.

Looks like you have another special ability!

MUVA
2.1.10  MUVA  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.1.5    4 weeks ago

No what I'm saying is all men are not responsible for men that beat their wives or girl friends.

2.2  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  squiggy @2    4 weeks ago

Here's why I said that the murder rate has gone up since the idiot took office. It's because they have:

His words came within weeks of some striking new statistics. In September, the nonprofit Violence Policy Center released its annual study of numbers from the FBI’s Supplemental Homicide Reports, showing that …

In 2016, more than 1,800 women were murdered by men in single-victim or single-offender incidents submitted to the FBI, and 85 percent of them were murdered by a man they knew.

Of the 1,809 women killed, 962 were wives, ex-wives or current girlfriends — meaning more than half were or had been romantically linked to their killer. And the percentage has risen 11 percent since 2014 — these figures are for 2016, the most recent year available — when it had been falling for several years previously. The 962 figure was actually lower than the true number of intimate partner murders, as the FBI doesn’t include ex-girlfriends in its reporting, even though the CDC defines ex-girlfriends as intimate partners. Many domestic violence killings occur right after recent breakups or during separations.

===

And the situation for women is not getting better. A look at news stories from early 2018 tells us that more than 10 women across the U.S. were killed by male intimate partners in just 24 hours between 5 p.m. on New Year’s Eve and 5 p.m. on New Year’s Day 2018, with more than 25 women murdered by past or present partners in the first week of the year. Contrary to what some believe, intimate partner homicides in the United States touch all ethnicities, socioeconomic groups and geographic locations. But the one thing they all have in common? The victims will never get the chance to plead their case, defend themselves, or raise their own sons or daughters.

https://www.ozy.com/acumen/us-domestic-violence-murder-rate-rises/89868

Texan1211
2.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2    4 weeks ago
Here's why I said that the murder rate has gone up since the idiot took office. It's because they have:  His words came within weeks of some striking new statistics. In September, the nonprofit Violence Policy Center released its annual study of numbers from the FBI’s Supplemental Homicide Reports, showing that …
In 2016, more than 1,800 women were murdered by men in single-victim or single-offender incidents submitted to the FBI, and 85 percent of them were murdered by a man they knew.

Kind of interesting that you attribute any of this to Trump when you quote stats from 2016 and Trump didn't take office until 2017.

squiggy
2.2.2  squiggy  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2    4 weeks ago

“In 2016, More Than 1,800 Women Were Murdered By Men...”

... and it’s Trumps fault.

SMMFH

2.2.3  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.1    4 weeks ago

Kind of interesting that you ignored the paragraph that talked about the significant rise -- 11% -- in 2018.

Texan1211
2.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.3    4 weeks ago

According to your source, the rate had increased in 2015 and 2016.

Why did you conveniently leave that out?

2.2.5  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.4    4 weeks ago

If you read it in my post, I didn't leave it out, so why are you saying I did?

Texan1211
2.2.6  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.5    4 weeks ago

YOU didn't mention it at all. Your source did.

Can you see the difference?

2.2.7  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.6    4 weeks ago

So because I didn't copy and paste the entire article, I've done something wrong? Umm, that's called plagiarism.

However, I provided the link so everyone can read the article for themselves, so yes, I did provide the info.

But you're wrong anyway. The excerpt you copied and pasted from my post includes the 2016 info. You acknowledged that in your reply to my post:

"Kind of interesting that you attribute any of this to Trump when you quote stats from 2016"

So you're faulting me for including the 2016 info in one comment and faulting me for not including it in another. Can't have it both ways.

MUVA
2.2.8  MUVA  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.7    4 weeks ago

It's called lying by omission CNN are the masters of and the democratic party leaders run a close second.

Texan1211
2.2.9  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.7    4 weeks ago

I believe you deliberately omitted the info from your post (other than your source, of course) in your attempt (however feeble) to denigrate Trump and blame him for domestic violence.

2.2.11  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.9    4 weeks ago

No matter how much you complain, the reality is that the number of women murdered per day has gone up since the idiot was elected. No, he didn't commit all that violence, as I said before. However, in prior administrations there has been a focus on lessening DV and in his administration that focus was tossed out the window, thus the DV stats rose sharply. Was there a rise before that? Yes, but it was minimal in comparison.

It has long been a proven fact that society's focus affects these rates, and he changed the focus. Of course, his election was also an indication that people who support him don't care about abuse of women. His supporters ignored his bragging about being a sexual predator and the evidence he is violent toward women. I hold them responsible for this rise more than him, something you are overlooking.

I don't know how I can be clearer than that.

Why don't you care about the women who are being murdered? Is that rise in death okay with you? How about the hundreds of thousands of women who weren't killed but were battered? Did you know that DV is a leading cause of women needing to go to the ER?

Facts and Statistics on Physical Abuse

Victims of abuse often do not reach out to the police as women report to the police only 20% of all rapes, 25% of all physical assaults and 50% of all stalkings perpetrated by intimate partners. This means that medical personnel, such as doctors at the emergency room, often have the first chance to identify the cycle of physical abuse. And even then, the numbers who go to the emergency room is low with only 14.7% of physical abuse victims saying that would go to the hospital for assistance.

• Between 4-15% of people at an emergency room are there due to problems related to domestic violence

And unfortunately, even once there, most woman do not directly note physical abuse as their complaint and facts on physical abuse show that emergency room physicians fail to identify abuse in many cases.

• An accurate diagnosis of battering is estimated in less than 1 of 25 women
  • Data from a study documented that 23% of women presented 6-10 times before physical abuse was diagnosed
  • Another 20% sought medical attention on 11 occasions before a diagnosis of abuse finally was made

It is thought so many cases of physical abuse are missed simply due to the physician's failure to ask about it.

https://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/adult-physical-abuse/facts-and-statistics-on-physical-abuse

Texan1211
2.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.11    4 weeks ago
No matter how much you complain, the reality is that the number of women murdered per day has gone up since the idiot was elected. No, he didn't commit all that violence, as I said before. However, in prior administrations there has been a focus on lessening DV and in his administration that focus was tossed out the window, thus the DV stats rose sharply. Was there a rise before that? Yes, but it was minimal in comparison. 

Pointing out facts isn't complaining. I am also too smart to blame the President for violence against women increasing, nor would I credit him with any decreases in that violence.

Of course, his election was also an indication that people who support him don't care about abuse of women. His supporters ignored his bragging about being a sexual predator and the evidence he is violent toward women. I hold them responsible for this rise more than him, something you are overlooking. 

What a crock.

Why don't you care about the women who are being murdered? Is that rise in death okay with you?

If you think I don't care, then quote me stating that.

Otherwise, it is just intellectually dishonest and lazy to attempt to put words in my mouth and attempt to debate them.

2.2.13  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.12    4 weeks ago
What a crock.

Really? If they cared, they wouldn't have voted for him. He was very explicit about his abuse of women.

2.2.14  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.12    4 weeks ago
If you think I don't care, then quote me stating that.

Show me where you've ever spoken out on behalf of battered women. Then I'll believe you care.

Texan1211
2.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.14    4 weeks ago
Show me where you've ever spoken out on behalf of battered women. Then I'll believe you care. 

WTF? Why would you think I care what you believe?

MUVA
2.2.16  MUVA  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.14    4 weeks ago

Virtue signaling at it's finest. You are not a better person because of what you believe it is actions that make a person good  not bad mouthing people you have never met on the internet. 

2.2.17  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.15    4 weeks ago

So you can't provide even one comment supporting women's well being. That's what I thought.

It is so easy to sit back and say, "Yes, I care," but do nothing while the rate of women being murdered is rising. I hope you do care and will listen to what I'm saying. If you would do that and you care, you just might do the right thing and begin speaking out on behalf of women. That's how society changes: with people being proactive.

Texan1211
2.2.18  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.17    4 weeks ago
So you can't provide even one comment supporting women's well being. That's what I thought. 

I support women's well-being.

Excuse me for not mounting a soapbox as some do.

2.2.19  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  MUVA @2.2.16    4 weeks ago

So tell me what your actions are in regards to helping women, especially battered women.

2.2.20  seeder  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley  replied to  Texan1211 @2.2.18    4 weeks ago

You're costing yourself money by not supporting battered women, Every dollar lost goes into higher costs to you:

Statistics on the Cost of Physical Abuse

Physical abuse has societal, economic costs as well as personal ones. It was estimated in 2003 that the annual economic cost of domestic violence was $8.3 billion, including $1.2 billion for lives lost. It is estimated by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that victims of severe physical abuse annually miss 8 million days of paid work, the equivalent of 32,000 full-time jobs. It is also a physical abuse statistic that the police spend one-third of their time responding to domestic violence calls.

https://www.healthyplace.com/abuse/adult-physical-abuse/facts-and-statistics-on-physical-abuse

MUVA
2.2.21  MUVA  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.19    4 weeks ago

This is what I do I don't beat women what do you do beside virtue signaling.

Texan1211
2.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  Loretta Mashkawide'e Kemsley @2.2.20    3 weeks ago
You're costing yourself money by not supporting battered women, Every dollar lost goes into higher costs to you: 

And you are assuming something about a person you don't even know.

Why do you do that?