By:  john-russell  •  5 years ago  •  7 comments

New Movie On Midway

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    5 years ago

I usually eat up World War II movies,   last being Dunkirk, which I thought was excellent. 

This new Hollywood film about the battle of Midway looks a lot like a video game.  No one wants to pay to recreate battle scenes in real life when they can be done on a computer. 

Not sure about this one, but I'll probably watch it anyway. 

Trailers dont even give a clue of what the battle was about or how it came to be. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1    5 years ago
I usually eat up World War II movies,   last being Dunkirk, which I thought was excellent. 

I'm not big on them, but I do want to critique Dunkirk. If you watch that movie, you can easily get the mistaken idea that Dunkirk was somehow a victory. It wasn't - it was a tremendous defeat for the allies. At the time the German Army had become a virtual killing machine. Because of that defeat neither Britain nor the Free French had any desire to put forces back into continental Europe until both the Soviet Union and the United States were involved.

This new Hollywood film about the battle of Midway looks a lot like a video game. 

Kind of like the most recent Pearl Harbor movie? In that case I don't have to see it. We already had movies made on both Pearl Harbor & Midway. It is difficult to make a movie with subplots etc involving major battles of WWII. Those events are best left to documentary type films.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1    5 years ago

I thought Dunkirk was very well made, but it did have a very noticeable flaw. 

The beaches at Dunkirk looked empty or relatively empty for almost all of the movie, when they were supposed to represent tens of thousands of British soldiers waiting to be rescued. 

I guess the movie makers decided not to spend the money on a lot of extras , or computer generate them. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     5 years ago

I'll probably see it but I sure would have rather seen a movie made of the ''Battle of Samar'' the largest naval battle of WWII...

I'd seen a few years ago that they were going to make a movie about it. I guess that it didn't turn out. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @2    5 years ago

Midway is generally considered  to be a battle of attacks on air craft carriers which hinged on strategy, tactics, and luck.  I don't see anything referencing any of that in these trailers , which seem to mainly depict swarms of CGI planes and explosions.  The movies worth will hinge on how well it explains what happened. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    5 years ago
Midway is generally considered  to be a battle of attacks on air craft carriers which hinged on strategy, tactics, and luck.

More luck than anything.

Entire wings were wiped out by attacking willy nilly like VT-8 which attacked without fighter support

killing every airman of the group except George Gay.

Throughout the whole battle only one airborne torpedo actually worked.

Midway could have gone either way.

Samar could have gone either way.

Such are the winds of war.