╌>

Pangolins are possible coronavirus hosts, scientists say

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  freefaller  •  4 years ago  •  19 comments

Pangolins are possible coronavirus hosts, scientists say

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Pangolins are possible hosts of coronavirus, a study led by South China Agricultural University has found.

Experts believe the outbreak originated at wild animal markets in Wuhan, China. After analyzing more than 1,000 samples, scientists found that the genome sequence of the virus in pangolins was 99% identical to that from infected people. That means pangolins are the most likely intermediate host of coronavirus, Liu Yahong, president of the university, said,  according to state media

Pangolins , which look like scaly anteaters, are considered a delicacy in China and other countries, and pangolin scales are used in traditional medicine. 

Pangolins are protected by international law, but they are still one of Asia's most trafficked mammals. More than one million have been poached in the past decade, putting the species' survival at risk, according to the International Union for the Conservation of Nature. In 2016, a ban was placed on the trade of pangolins , but sale of the animals appears to persist in parts of Asia and Africa.

The new information about pangolins as a potential intermediate host of the novel coronavirus will aid in the prevention and control of the virus, Liu said.

Health experts believed the  new strain of coronavirus  possibly originated with bats before jumping to the human population, perhaps through an intermediary like pangolins. 

Infectious disease expert  Dr. Ian Lipkin told CBS News  on Wednesday that similar viruses will continue to pop up "every couple of years" as long as the so-called wet markets selling a multitude of animal species remain in business. 

"I want the wild animal markets closed," Lipkin said. 

But that step alone might not be sufficient. "While closing wildlife markets could have a major impact, bans alone will not stop the illegal wildlife trade if demand persists,"  The World Wildlife Fund said in a statement . "This health crisis must serve as a wake-up call for the need to end unsustainable use of endangered animals and their parts, as exotic pets, for food consumption and for their perceived medicinal value."

The death toll from coronavirus has risen to more than 630, with all but two of the deaths in mainland China. More than 31,000 people have been infected with the virus worldwide, the vast majority of them in China.  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    4 years ago

Pangolin revenge for pushing them towards extinction?

Ender
Professor Principal
2  Ender    4 years ago

Not very cuddly looking.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @2    4 years ago

Jeez, it looks like a cross between an armadillo and a honey badger.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @2    4 years ago

Lol I used to think they were pretty cool looking but that belly view is ….. disturbing.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @2.2    4 years ago

Oh, the belly.  Add Egyptian hairless cat to the armadillo/honey badger mix.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.1    4 years ago
Egyptian hairless cat

I love cats but could  never have one of those, they're just creepy looking

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Freefaller @2.2.2    4 years ago

Same.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @2.2.2    4 years ago

It may look strange, but when you pet it, it is like stroking velvet.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.1    4 years ago

I was gonna say it's the Asian version of possum-on-the-half-shell

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
3  bbl-1    4 years ago

Whatever.  Humans are also hosts of the virus.  Viruses just want to live too, you know what I mean, Vern?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

These germs of disease have taken toll of humanity since the beginning of things--taken toll of our prehuman ancestors since life began here. But by virtue of this natural selection of our kind we have developed resisting power; to no germs do we succumb without a struggle, and to many--those that cause putrefaction in dead matter, for instance--our living frames are altogether immune. But there are no  bacteria viruses in Mars humans and directly these invaders arrived, directly they drank and fed, our microscopic diseases began to work their overthrow. Already when I watched them they were irrevocably doomed, dying and rotting even as they went to and fro. It was inevitable. By the toll of a billion deaths man pangolins have bought this birthright of to them and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians humans ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men  pangolins live nor die in vain.

There I fixed it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4    4 years ago

Quoting HG Wells, I see

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I just hope this won't lead to their total extinction.   

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    4 years ago

It won't, but it might have some unforeseen outcomes for us. The coronavirus is a tricky virus. It hides in the system, and can become an incurable disease. In cats it's call FIP, and it's always fatal. I don't know how this animal deals with it.... I am going to be doing some poking around. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    4 years ago

Paula can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she might be referring to a possible slaughter of pangolins, if they're identified as vectors.  If they're already endangered, killing them in large numbers could spell the end for them.

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.1    4 years ago

I love our Asian brethren yet I am sometimes amazed at what they will consume.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @5.1.2    4 years ago

Yeah.  If that's what's on the menu, I'm going vegetarian.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
5.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @5.1.2    4 years ago

I love our Asian brethren yet I am sometimes amazed at what they will consume.

I dunno, looks like it might be good with melted butter. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5.1.1    4 years ago

Exactly.