╌>

Greta Thunberg sails the North Atlantic aboard La Vagabonde

Category:  Other

By:  dignitatem-societatis  •  4 years ago  •  10 comments

Greta Thunberg sails the North Atlantic aboard La Vagabonde

This crossing took place a few months ago, but Riley and Elayna have only recently started posting videos of it on their YouTube channel: Sailing La Vagabonde.

Riley and Elayna are an Australian couple who've spent the past several years sailing around the world on their yacht, La Vagabonde, filming their exploits along the way, and sharing them with the world on YouTube.

I don't know if anyone here is familiar with them, but I check in on them from time to time and was surprised today to see a new set of videos in which they give Greta Thunberg (and her dad) a ride back to Europe... in late November, no less.

I thought some here might enjoy the adventure of sailing across the North Atlantic with Greta, on a relatively small boat, and in a cold and stormy (if not dangerous) season for sailing, so here are the videos they've posted so far:

Updated 2-28-20

Updated 3-2-20

Apparently, La Vagabonde got quite a bit of press from around the world about this passage with Greta, but I somehow managed to miss it all and didn't know anything about it until I checked their channel on YouTube. Here's just one article, from NPR: Greta Thunberg Sets Sail For Home — And The U.N. Climate Conference

Again, here's Sailing La Vagabonde's video page on YouTube. If you'd like to go back in time and see how they got started, just sort by date added (oldest).

I'll update this page with new videos in the series as they are posted, so check back from time to time to see it all the way to the end.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  author  Dig    4 years ago

How cool is that?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Dig @1    4 years ago

November?  Way too cold for me...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    4 years ago

Nah.  That is why 'they' invented long john underwear.

lol

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago
How cool is that?

Very...

Dig
Professor Participates
3  author  Dig    4 years ago

La Vagabonde is an owner's version Outremer 45 sailing catamaran (48ft actual).

I'm pretty sure this is the layout. They may have a different year, but this is the same model.

The first La Vagabond was a monohull, a Beneteau Cyclades 44, but they apparently got a sweet deal on a new cat from Outremer in return for featuring it in their YouTube videos, so they switched and have been living large (relatively speaking) ever since.

Here's a boat tour from a while back:

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

I think it would be best if she travels carbon neutral everywhere she goes not just this publicity stunt. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
5  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Great adventure; thanks for sharing!

Dig
Professor Participates
6  author  Dig    4 years ago

New video posted 2-28.

Dig
Professor Participates
6.1  author  Dig  replied to  Dig @6    4 years ago

A few scary moments and a couple of mechanical issues, but not a horrible trip so far.

In the preview at the end of the latest video (the half-way one) Elayna says they reach dry ground in the next one, so I'm guessing the second half of the trip is mostly smooth sailing and uneventful.

It looks like they really could have used one of those miniature wind generators on this trip, though. I got the impression from the videos that they had to go without hot water most of the time. They could've maybe hooked one up directly to a heating element in the hot water tank. They do have a Watt and Sea, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

Dig
Professor Participates
7  author  Dig    4 years ago

New video posted 3-2-20.

Arrival in Lisbon.