╌>

Parents leave children in car to attend wine tasting

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  33 comments

Parents leave children in car to attend wine tasting
A mother and father were arrested Saturday in Washington D.C. after leaving their toddlers inside a locked, freezing car without proper clothing while they sipped wine just a few hundred feet away.

A passerby spotted a two-year-old girl crying in a locked car with her one-year-old brother. The young boy had no socks or shoes and neither child had hats or gloves in the freezing car. Temperatures in D.C. when the children were found were just above freezing.

The children's parents, Jennie Chang, 46, and Christopher Lucas, 41, were 400 feet away in the upscale wine bar Ris. The pair told police they were monitoring the vehicle using an iPhone and periodic checks on the children; the restaurant manager told police the couple had been inside for an hour. When police opened the car, they found an iPhone that had been running for 58 minutes, according to The Washington Post .

Both were charged with two counts of attempted child neglect. They are not allowed to have contact with their children. If convicted they both face $10,000 in fines and/or 10 years in prison.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Both were charged with two counts of attempted child neglect. They are not allowed to have contact with their children.Those poor kids...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
link   Hal A. Lujah    9 years ago
This sounds to me like overkill. Yeah, it was not the best parenting - but taking the kids away and a potential ten years in prison? What possible good could that serve? Between the thoughtless citizens and the overzealous administrators, this country is going down the toilet.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

Some people just shouldn't have children...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Wait, Hal... Someone had to call the police, didn't they? Or did they just show up and notice? Maybe another thing to add would be for people to mind their own business.

yet, in this case, I think an innocent bystander did the right thing.

Nona62
Professor Silent

And then there are hundreds of people that would make excellent parents, but can't have children...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Some people just shouldn't have children...That's for sure!!

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
"... had to call the police." Like I said, it's not good parenting - but it's not leaving your kids in a hot car. Kids cry - if you don't know that, you don't have kids. It was a terrible idea, but not ten years in prison terrible, particularly since there's evidence that they didn't just abandon them and go into a strip club or something. The iPhone thing was creative, but not good parenting. Honestly, if I saw those kids, I would have walked into the establishment and shamed the fuck out of them. They wouldn't have done it again. Foster parents, years in prison and $10k fine? That is draconian beyond belief.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
It was a tasting. Gimme a break.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Well, I certainly see your point-- but they have been charged? Not convicted? I'm sure a decent lawyer will point out your concerns. They probably won't get that, and shouldn't. But something should happen to them. What would you think is fair punishment? Just asking, not being contentious.

I left my crying son in a car once. He was 4 years old and was tearing out a strip because I wouldn't buy him a toy he wanted. Way past the age when he should have been doing that. I had to pick up a prescription before the drug store closed. It was a warm day, and I left the car running, the aircon on, and ran in to get my prescription. He was unharmed, but I will never do it again. It wasn't lack of concern, it was having to be in two places at the same time...

Nona62
Professor Silent

The young boy had no socks or shoes and neither child had hats or gloves in the freezing car. Temperatures in D.C. when the children were found were just above freezing.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
I can't imagine that they will get jail time, but I also can't imagine why this belongs in the news. Probably every parent worth a shit has done something that could make them look like satan if placed in the right place and in the right context. Imagine this - Marsha loses custody of her child because her car was stolen when her child was in the back seat while she was in the pharmacy. I've done things I'm not proud of either, but I can't imagine that my kids would have been better off if they were ripped away and put into foster care. This country is a mess.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
I live in the DC metropolitan area - it wasn't that cold on Saturday. It was a bad idea, but certainly not as bad as it is being made out to be. I have four young grandkids, and I can certainly understand how crying and fits could make a couple do something rash like this. It was wrong, but it wasn't 100% negligent. In fact, it was something that the kids would likely laugh their asses off over later in life.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I don't think that foster care is the answer in this case, either.

Perhaps pay a fine, or take parenting classes? I was at my wit's end and had it drilled into my head to not miss a dose of medicine... Different than doing on purpose to go and taste wine...

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
They made a bad decision, but not the worst decision possible. Unfortunately, a bad decision and the worst decision possible are subject to the same punishment. Lawyers love that fact, particularly when their clients can afford to taste wine at the most expensive wine bar in NW DC. This couple is going to pay a sickening fee for this bad decision - a fee that most people throughout the rest of the country could not possibly afford, and would possibly result in the breaking up of their family.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

I can only agree mimi...

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet

Exactly. Now you know what nightmares I have because I left my son for 5 minutes to get my medicine. Sigh!

Nona62
Professor Silent

So true!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I feel bad for people that are raising children in this day and age. My youngest daughter has 3 beautiful girls and my oldest is expecting a boy at the end of April...what will this world be like when he gets older????

Nona62
Professor Silent

Thank you...I do too! My grand daughters are 12, 13 and 14..I worry about then also..kids grow up way too fast and are exposed to tings that they shouldn't know about until they are older.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
Holy Christ - I'm sure you've never done anything stupid. You probably never gave your kid a toy he might have choked on, or let him eat a hot dog without you watching every bite (most common cause of choking death), or let him go to a party where underaged drinking was likely, or let him play outside even though there was thunder, or put him in a car without a car seat because you forgot the car seat was in another car, or left mini blinds in a room where the child frequented, or stepped away from the tub for ten seconds while your kid was splashing around, or a hundred other things that good parents do and then realize that these are things where it is possible for a child to get seriously injured over. And there you are rooting for these parents to go to jail. Sickening.

Here's what probably happened - the well-to-do parents probably intended to take their kids inside. The two year old threw a fit in the car, so left him in the car with the baby who was sleeping, and they thought that a video monitor would be sufficient. It was just a bad decision, like any number of bad decisions good parents make all the time. Nobody was hurt, nobody deserves to go to jail, and certainly nobody deserves to have their kids taken away from them.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
Badfish - my mom told me a story recently. My daughter urgently needed someone to pick up her kids from daycare because she couldn't make it there before they were to close. Mom hopped in the car and drove ten minutes to get there just in time. She was mortified when she realized that one of the car seats was in my dad's car, and he was at work and unavailable. She buckled my grandkids in the back seat, one without a car seat, and safely drove them home. Should she go to jail? Should the government take ten thousand dollars from her? After all, what's a more likely event - a car accident, or a child being taken from a locked car?By the way, everyone in the family was fine with what she did. The reaction was not outrage, it was more like "I hate it when that happens."

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
I didn't say it was right, and it's not an apples and oranges comparison. My mom could have ran to Kmart across the street to buy a car seat, or sat in the car with the kids and waited however long for someone to deliver a car seat to her. She had options, and she consciously chose to do something that was illegal. So answer the question.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Hal....the incident with your grandchildren was unavoidable, these parents planned on leaving the children in the car.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
Why does it not surprise me that you are a libertarian only when it's convenient for your argument? If these people had every intention of taking their kids inside, but at the last minute made a bad decision on how to deal with a kid throwing a tirade, then your claim of them abandoning their kids to get drunk is disingenuous and you know it - they are only guilty of making a poor decision, much like anyone else does. Some would say that your decision to take your kids to a concert and slug beers all night in front of them before driving them home was a poor decision. Get off your high horse already. A good cop would have scared the crap out of them by telling them what he could do to them, and let them off with a warning. Nobody got hurt, and nobody gets drunk at a wine tasting.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
Why would you think that? Did you ask them? I have a hard time believing that anyone in that situation would have planned on leaving kids in the car, when they could just as easily taken them in the restaurant. The obvious explanation is that the kid was being too rotten to take into a nice restaurant. They should have just went home, but they did this instead - for that they are guilty, but not so guilty as to warrant what they are going through now.

And as I stated above, my mom had options - her situation was not entirely unavoidable, just very inconvenient. We all occasionally do things that we aren't necesarilly proud of.

Nona62
Professor Silent

My daughter urgently needed someone to pick up her kids from daycare because she couldn't make it there before they were to close. Mom hopped in the car and drove ten minutes to get there just in time Your mother didn't have time to stop and purchase a car seat, so, it was unavoidable, so she had no choice.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
Lol - it's NW DC. You obviously have never been there, but you love to bash DC in general.You keep implying that they were on a mission to get drunk, so it's unlikely that you have ever experienced a wine tasting either. It can take 45-60 minutes to finish a wine tasting, and in the end you have consumed the equivalent of less than half a glass of wine. Northern Virginia is like the Napa Valley of the east. I've been to dozens of wine tastings over the last five years alone. Nobody gets drunk at a wine tasting. I've taken my granddaughter to wine tastings - kids are perfectly welcome, so I'm sure the original plan was to take them in. Instead, they made a dumb decision and are being threatened with prison, taking their kids away, legal fees and exorbitant fines. It's way too much.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
She could have sat the kids in the car and waited for my dad to deliver a car seat. She could have walked across the street to the Kmart with the kids. There were options, but people only get outraged when they read about someone getting caught doing the wrong thing. That's my point - had nobody caught these people doing what they did, their story would just be a cutesy anecdote about their clever solution to an inconvenient situation.