╌>

McDonald's Sparks Brouhaha With Mexican Diss

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  25 comments

Smug Facebook post informs country tamales 'thing of the past'

Posted Feb 4, 2015 10:22 AM CST

(Newser) A McDonald's ad posted to Facebook has prompted outrage, ultimately forcing the company to take it down and apologize. The spot advertised the McBurrito as a replacement for tamales, Fusion reports. "Tamales are a thing of the past," the ad proclaimed in Spanish. But tamales are a longstanding tradition in Mexico, and social media users didn't take kindly to the message, which also noted that the McBurrito is sold unwrapped; tamales are wrapped in leaves. "How dare you insult a beautiful tradition, Id rather eat tamales than your horrible rotten products," wrote one Facebook user.

To make matters worse, NBC News reports, yesterday was Da de la Candelaria, a festive occasion associated with tamales. "On Mexico's National Tamale Holiday, @McDonalds calls them 'a thing from the past'. A big #fail for @McDonaldsMexico," tweeted MXCNews . McDonald's has pulled the ad, Fusion notes, and the AP reports that the company has apologized. "It was never the intention of McDonald's Mexico to disrespect traditions or traditional Mexican foods like tamales," McDonald's said on its Mexico website. "We apologize to those who might have been offended by the publication, which has been withdrawn from our social media."

http://www.newser.com/story/202219/mcdonalds-sparks-brouhaha-with-mexican-diss.html

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

Mexico, and social media users didn't take kindly to the message,

McDonalds goofs again...

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol Pretty much!

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

The only thing I care less about than McDonald's disrespecting the tamale is people being upset about McDonald's disrespecting the tamale.

I didn't get upset when the First Lady wanted pizza, burgers and fries off the school lunch menus and I certainly do not give a damn about what people think about McDonald's menu items or marketing decisions.

Nona62
Professor Silent

The point is...McDonalds is just ignorant...

LoneRanger01
Freshman Silent
link   LoneRanger01    9 years ago

being a drive thru effeminate (?)I buy my sandwich at Arby's, my HiC orange drink at McD's and my fries at Burger King....and that's how a professional rolls through the drivw thrus.....

Robert in Ohio
Professor Guide
link   Robert in Ohio    9 years ago

The point is - who cares?

I hate tamales, does that make me a bad person? ,,,,does that make me ignorant?

It is amazing that people seem to worry so much about what McDonalds - just do not patronize the damn restaurant if you do not like their marketing or operating strategy.

Nona62
Professor Silent

"That's how you roll huh"?? Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

MM..while you're atit, would you please slide by McDonalds and pick up a couple of Happy Meals, and share them??

Nigel Dogberry
Freshman Silent
link   Nigel Dogberry    9 years ago

I hate tamales, does that make me a bad person?

I grew up in New Mexico and I love tamales. I knew there was something wrong with you, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Now I know. hee hee hee.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I love tamales, I have never tried to make them though. It seems like it would be kind of tricky.....

Nona62
Professor Silent

I've never had one, they do sound good!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

...snort...

Nona62
Professor Silent

Now you're making me hungry!!! When's dinner??? Smile.gif Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

Mangia!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

I don't think McDonalds will ever "go under" though.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Just my burger bits . ha ha ha!! (cute one RW)Smile.gif

Nona62
Professor Silent

McPizza Happy Meal!!!

Nona62
Professor Silent

lol I have never had one of those, I'll make sure I don't!Smile.gif