╌>

NC school sends kids home in the cold without coats for violating dress code

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  13 comments

A North Carolina middle school is under fire for sending students home from school on a cold day without their winter coats.

The students apparently ran afoul of a strict uniform dress code policy at the Ranson IB Middle School in Charlotte that includes outerwear.

Chanda Spates told WBTV in Charlotte that three of her children came home Tuesday without their coats and said the teacher took them because they did not match the school uniform. Spates said at least 20 other students were sent home coatless that day for violating the dress code.

When the children came home from schoolthey came home with no coats on, Spates told the station Friday. So I said, Where are your jackets? Where are your coats? They said, The school took them. They took all the students jackets during lunch at the cafeteria.

She said the students were told if they wanted their coats back to have their parents come up to the school.

Spates said her children were told that their coats were taken away because they were not the right color, hunter green. She said last year Ranson sold coats that matched the uniform. This year the coats were not available in the right color.

Charlottes temps Tuesday afternoon were in the high 30s.

Im upset that you would send children home in that degree weather without a jacket. Unacceptable. Period, she told the station. Because that shows youre not looking (out) for the welfare of the children. Youre not having any regard for the children.

The school issued a statement the following day, admitting that it goofed.

Outer coats are a part of the uniform at Ranson, the school said. Until today the policy has not come into question. Coats that did not meet the color requirement for the uniform dress code were taken by an employee (Tuesday). The employees intent was to return the coasts to students before they went home. This action did not take place.

In the statement, school administrators apologized to parents and said staff had worked diligently to return the coats to students the next day.

Corrective action has been taken with the employee who did not return coats back to the students, the statement added.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/01/nc-school-sends-kids-home-in-cold-without-coats-for-violating-dress-code/?intcmp=latestnews

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

What is wrong with this school?? I'm all for uniforms, but this is ridiculous...

Cerenkov
Professor Silent
link   Cerenkov    9 years ago
I'd fire the employee solely because this event demonstates a fundamental lack of judgement. She shouldn't work with kids.

Nona62
Professor Silent

BINGO!! I agree 100% !!

Nona62
Professor Silent

None what so ever!! Show no mercy!!

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

This wouldn't be so bad if it was SOUTH Carolina ...

Nona62
Professor Silent

It's just so stupid and wrong.....sigh

Petey Coober
Freshman Silent
link   Petey Coober    9 years ago

The difference in climate alone would make a difference ...

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    9 years ago

I never did like strict conformity.

Nona62
Professor Silent

I don't think many people do like strict conformity, but the upside is. uniforms help alleviate the jealousy of other's clothes (name brand sneakers etc.)

sixpick
Professor Quiet
link   sixpick    9 years ago

I don't think many people do like strict conformity, but the upside is. uniforms help alleviate the jealousy of other's clothes (name brand sneakers etc.)

Yes in the old days from all people I knew there didn't seem to be so much jealousy. In fact it was motivational to many to become the succesful as many have become today, but in today's world it seems it motivates them to beat the person up and steal them.

Some of the most successful people I know from school today were some of the poorest in school.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Some of the most successful people I know from school today were some of the poorest in school. That makes sense to me...

Nona62
Professor Silent

I would rather pay for a uniform and know that my child is not going to get beat up or killed for a pair of sneakers, or a purse....that's just me....

Nona62
Professor Silent

I understand you point of view also...but I figure if the school isn't willing to pay for the uniforms, , I would rather pay for them than having my child beat up or shot. (Iprobably should have phrased itdifferently initially)Smile.gif