╌>

Father and son arrested and charged with murder in death of Ahmaud Arbery

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  1stwarrior  •  4 years ago  •  93 comments

Both men were taken into custody and face charges of aggravated assault and murder, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A white man and his son who are   accused of killing an unarmed black man   in Georgia in February have been arrested after video of the incident sparked widespread outrage.

Gregory McMichael, 64, and Travis McMichael, 34, were arrested in the death of Ahmaud Arbery, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation announced. Both men face charges of aggravated assault and murder.

Arbery, 25, was shot to death in Brunswick , a coastal city about midway between Savannah, Georgia, and Jacksonville, Florida, on Feb. 23 as he was running through the Satilla Shores neighborhood. His family says he was out jogging, while the McMichaels claimed that they thought he was a burglar.

Video released Tuesday by attorneys for Arbery's family   appears to show an altercation between a group of men before what is alleged to be the fatal shooting.

According to a Glynn County police report, Gregory McMichael first spotted Arbery on foot "hauling ass" down Satilla Drive and immediately thought he was a burglar who had recently been targeting the neighborhood.

Gregory McMichael armed himself with a .357 Magnum, and his son grabbed a shotgun. They jumped into their pickup truck and chased Arbery. Police said a third man, identified as a neighbor, joined the chase and jumped into the McMichaels' truck.

The police report did not specify whether Arbery had a gun, but lawyers for the family say he was unarmed.

In the video, Arbery is seen running down a road as a white pickup truck is stopped in front of him. Arbery runs around the vehicle. The video then shows Arbery and another man appearing to tussle as shots are fired.

NBC News cannot verify what occurred before or after the events shown in the video.

George Barnhill, one of the prosecutors who first handled the case, defended the actions of the McMichaels and their neighbor in the truck. In a letter to the Glynn County Police Department obtained by NBC News, Barnhill wrote that the men had "solid first hand probable cause" to chase Arbery, a "burglary suspect," and stop him.

Barnhill also said that after he watched the video of the incident, "given the fact Arbery initiated the fight" and grabbed the shotgun, he believed Travis McMichael "was allowed to use deadly force to protect himself" under Georgia law.

The office of Tom Durden — the district attorney in Liberty County, who is now handling the case — asked that the GBI begin an inquiry Tuesday, and the bureau's Kingsland Office began investigating Wednesday.

Arbery's death sparked nationwide outrage, with many activists, politicians and celebrities sharing a social media post urging people to contact the Liberty County prosecutors to demand that the McMichaels be charged.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp   called the video of the shooting "absolutely horrific"   and said Georgians deserve answers.

"I have full confidence in Vic Reynolds and the Georgia Bureau of Investigation," Kemp said. "I know that they will be working around the clock to thoroughly and independently investigate Mr. Arbery's death to find the truth."

"Black Panther" and "Creed" actor Michael B. Jordan shared the call to   action Wednesday , saying on Instagram that the video made him sick to his stomach.

"Just because you may not experience racism, doesn't mean it doesn't exist and if you don't think anything is wrong with this video or try to defend this in any way, you are a part of the problem," Jordan said.

Joe Biden, the apparent Democratic presidential nominee,   called Arbery's death a "grave injustice"   during a virtual roundtable with African American lawmakers in Florida on Thursday.

"This family and the country deserves justice, and they deserve it now. They deserve a transparent investigation of this brutal murder," Biden said. "But our nation deserves it, as well. We need to reckon with this. This goes on. These vicious acts call to mind the darkest chapters of our history."

The McMichaels were to be booked at the Glynn County Jail. It was unclear whether they have retained an attorney.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1  seeder  1stwarrior    4 years ago

Pure pre-meditated murder by some serious Red-necks.

"Hauling ass"????  Well, compared to the two fat azzes who killed him, a steady walk would be considered as "hauling ass" by their standards.

They had the nerve to drive past him, set up their truck to block him, and then kill him in cold blood????

And these 'good ol' boys' used to work in law enforcement??

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

I wonder if they are also going to go after the person who shot the video..............they damned well should. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    4 years ago

I do wonder why it took so long for that video to make it to the proper authorities.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1    4 years ago

Because the three men in the white pick up truck were still free, armed and dangerous?

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.1.3  katrix  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.2    4 years ago

Apparently the guy who took the video has been charged. He may have been the neighbor who joined the racist murderers 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  katrix @2.1.3    4 years ago

That is what it looks like, he may well be charged.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.3  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    4 years ago

No kidding! I've been hearing about this, but haven't really looked at anything on it. One of the linked articles claims that a neighbor jumped into the truck with them. Can't see more than two people in the video. Maybe the neighbor is the person videoing from behind. Seems to me, the guy shooting the video clearly was in on it, or perhaps he had the wherewithal to start videoing once he figured out what was going on. 

Regardless, I'm at a loss. Let's say the bastards did actually believe he was a burglar. WTF justifies going after the guy? Dammit this pisses me off. I'll even give them the benefit of the doubt, ignore the video evidence and assume the guy was running down the road, carrying stolen property, they witnessed him stealing. WTF justifies your actions? Nothing. I can't buy that this is anything short of murder. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.3.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.3    4 years ago
Maybe the neighbor is the person videoing from behind.

This is what I've read.  If true, he may be charged as an accessory to murder.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.3.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.3.1    4 years ago

Well, he "intentionally" ran back to his house to grab his weapon of choice before willingly going with them to "head off" their intended target.

Pure cold blooded murder on all three partners - intent - choice of site - fully loaded with weaponry - and were not in the mood for discussion.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.3.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @2.3.2    4 years ago

I actually saw someone on Facebook try to convince everyone that Arbery, on foot, was chasing the armed guys in the truck.

You're right.  It was cold-blooded murder.  To me, the only question is, how many people tried to avoid bringing them to justice, and what will be done about that?

Unfortunately, with the existence of people like the victim-blaming idiot on Facebook, I have a feeling that very little will be done.  The chickenshit DA and police chief will keep their jobs, and we'll see a case like this every few years or so.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.3.4  Transyferous Rex  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.3.1    4 years ago

If the person isn't in on this, the video might be an example of the sad state we are in. That assumes a few things though. 1) witness saw the men try and stop him earlier, 2) thought enough about the encounter to grab his phone...to video, 3) but not to call the cops. 

Several assumptions, but one wonders. Also assumed is that we are seeing the start of the video. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.3.5  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.3.4    4 years ago

Agreed - what does the rest of the video have on it??

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.3.6  Transyferous Rex  replied to  1stwarrior @2.3.5    4 years ago

Who knows? From my perspective, the bit we do see is enough to hang a murder charge on, regardless of what went on prior thereto. Don't have the authority to chase and shoot criminals. Don't have any justification to speed ahead, block someone's path, and shoot them dead, even if they did previously assault you. Damn sure don't have any justification for shooting a guy simply running down the road.

I've seen some talk about an alleged criminal history of the victim. Let's assume those rumors are true. Murder.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.3.7  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.3.6    4 years ago

"Alleged" criminal history of the victim?  Such as?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.3.8  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @2.3.7    4 years ago

The killers' defense attorney has brought up prior convictions and a history of mental illness on the part of Arbery.  I haven't been able to find out what those convictions were for.

It shouldn't matter, in a fair world.  He was obviously not the aggressor here, and they obviously were.  But it's what defense attorneys do - find ways to blame the victim to save their clients.

katrix
Sophomore Participates
2.3.9  katrix  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.3.3    4 years ago

They should be arrested for accessory after the fact. 

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.3.10  Transyferous Rex  replied to  1stwarrior @2.3.7    4 years ago

Sandy shared a link, above, that has a link to the DA's letter to the Sheriff's Office. The DA makes reference to some criminal history and metal health issues. Nothing descriptive though. 

The DA goes through a brief analysis of the video, to support his immediate thoughts concerning an arrest. In this, he points to Abery's act of turning 90*, after passing the truck, and grabbing the gun, as potential evidence of self-defense on the part of McMichael, as well as some other issues related to lawful carry, citizens arrest, etc. I think his reasons are shaky, to start with the legality of the attempted citizens arrest, but I can't say that I disagree with his recusal and leaving the decision to arrest to the prosecutor next in line.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.3.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.3.10    4 years ago

I guess nobody considered the fact that maybe Mr. Arbery grabbed the gun to defend himself? I don't think anybody wants to be shot

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.3.12  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Transyferous Rex @2.3.10    4 years ago

OK - gonna do a bit of supposition here - I used to jog 5 miles a day, 5 days a week and 3 miles the other two days.

The golden rule for all joggers, at the time, is/was always run FACING the traffic 'cause you can/could anticipate any upcoming issues.  So, here is Arbery, doing his daily run, and, as is CLEARLY shown in the beginning of the video, is running FACING the traffic.  As you go around the bend/curve, up ahead, you see a truck pulled over to the side of the road, on the RIGHT side and you are running on the LEFT side - as a good jogger would do.

Something/someone made Arbery switch sides of the road, to the right side, before he reaches the truck (and, here the video starts its universe twirl completely off the subject). And, the next thing the video shows is Arbery pushing someone, who clearly has a weapon in his hands, from the front of the pick-up and, during the scuffle, the weapon is discharged twice, Rambo in the bed of the pick-up yanks out his .357 and jumps into the fray - with no one seeing the end of the video.

So - he didn't "comply with simple commands", such as "Hey Boy, com'ere a second - I wanna ast ewe some qurstions" - and as he turned to the back of the truck and was walking to the front, right hand side, Jr. pops out with his weapon.  Arbery jumps into a defensive mode, tries to take the weapon and, in turn, is shot twice by Jr.  Did Rambo get in any shots?  We don't know - the video doesn't show.

IMHO, this was planned - premeditated - by friggin' former/present LAW ENFORCEMENT people, and they rightly deserve Capital Punishment.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.3.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @2.3.12    4 years ago
IMHO, this was planned - premeditated - by friggin' former/present LAW ENFORCEMENT people,

I'd be very interested to know if this was just the end of a pattern of behavior.

I'm gonna do another bit of supposition here, and speculate that both of them have a history of unsavory interactions with people whose skin is darker than a paper bag.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.3.14  Thrawn 31  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.3.13    4 years ago

I think you are right. 

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
2.3.15  Transyferous Rex  replied to  1stwarrior @2.3.12    4 years ago
And, the next thing the video shows is Arbery pushing someone, who clearly has a weapon in his hands, from the front of the pick-up and, during the scuffle, the weapon is discharged twice

The DA that recused himself was waiting on the forensics to come back because of this. (at least, that's what he says) I can see where he is coming from on that issue. Who actually pulled the trigger, etc?

As for the ability to effect an arrest? I'm not on the same page as he is. The vigilantes could have lawfully arrested an offender if: 1) the offense was committed in their presence or 2) within their immediate knowledge. They could arrest an escaping offender if the crime was a felony. 

First: I've yet to hear that they witnessed any crime being committed, so 1 is out.

Second, the news reports, apparently based on the police reports, claim that the McMichaels immediately thought Arbery was a dude that had recently been targeting the neighborhood for burglary. Thus, 2 is out.  What is immediate knowledge?  "We think that the words, "in his presence, "  and the words "within his immediate knowledge, " are synonymous. To justify the arrest without warrant, the officer need not see the act which constitutes the crime take place, if by any of his senses he has personal knowledge of its commission. Thus, if he hears shooting or other noises, and runs immediately to the place and finds the offender with evidences of the alleged crime on him, or finds the offender running away as if in apparent flight from the crime, and in similar cases, the crime is considered as having been committed in the officer's presence or immediate knowledge. Lynn v. State. Georgia case.

Meaning, the crime just happened, the person making the arrest has personal knowledge of its commission, and the offender had evidence of the crime on him. Or, the person was "in apparent flight from the crime" that just happened. There has to be some immediacy. "I thought the guy may have been the guy that robbed old man Higgins last week" doesn't get you there. If that is where you are, then you call the authorities. 

Now back to the self-defense. I don't think they had any lawful authority to arrest Arbery. If that is the case, then is Arbery not justified in engaging a person who is threatening the use of deadly force upon him?

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.4  JaneDoe  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    4 years ago

100% agree. He was filming before he even came upon the scene. I feel he absolutely knew what was about to go down.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Should have happened months ago.  Dereliction of duty by the DA and police.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Does Georgia still have the death penalty?

IMO, this is a modern day lynching

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    4 years ago

I think they do.  Absolutely, it was a lynching.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.2  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    4 years ago

Capital punishment is a legal penalty in the U.S. state of GeorgiaGeorgia reintroduced the death penalty in 1973 after Furman v. Georgia ruled all states' death penalty statutes unconstitutional. ... As of January 30, 2020, 76 people in total have been executed since 1983.

Yup - think they should get full benefit of the reintroduction of the law.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  1stwarrior @5.2    4 years ago

Bullet to the brain. There is no question in this case. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7  Thrawn 31    4 years ago
while the McMichaels claimed that they thought he was a burglar.

I am curious as to exactly how they came to this conclusion. Did he have a TV strapped to his back as he was running? Was he holding or carrying anything? None of the articles I have seen have suggested any such thing.

Was he sprinting or running at a sustained pace? I mean for fucks sake, any idiot (even a white man in Georgia, low bar I know) can tell the difference. 

How, in any way shape or form, could some dip shit think this guy was running from a crime scene? I saw a black dude running down the road this morning, you know what I didn't do? I didn't think "fuck he clearly just robbed a house!" and run him over. I actually just thought "good for you, I need to do more of that...asshole".

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7    4 years ago

Additionally I would like to ask these two, if I (a middle aged white male) had been logging alongside him, would they have shot? I like this question because there is no answer that doesn't make them sound like the total assholes that they are. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1    4 years ago

Good point.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.1    4 years ago

At a certain point, the stupid is so severe that even we can agree. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.3  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Thrawn 31 @7.1.2    4 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Semper Fi guy.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.1    4 years ago

And it is sad to say that it is a good point. In 2020 if a white person had been next to this poor son of a bitch, would he still have been shot?

That question right there reveals everything IMO.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
7.1.5  Thrawn 31  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.3    4 years ago

You too, ooorah!!

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

There is a Facebook group with just shy of 70,000 members who are advocating for the murderers.  Apparently, Arbery should have "complied with simple commands".  The McMichaels are "God-fearing men who were only trying to protect their neighborhood."

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
8.1  JaneDoe  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    4 years ago

70,000 idiots and counting.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8    4 years ago

70,000 reasons why I am convinced that our species doesn't deserve to leave this planet. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2    4 years ago

There do seem to be an inordinate number of assholes among us.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.1    4 years ago

Not even assholes, just really, REALLY stupid people. Modern medicine has been a godsend to be sure, but part of me thinks our species might be better off without it in that the real dummies wouldn't be able to reproduce. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2.2    4 years ago

But we wouldn't have had Stephen Hawkings, either.

There are 11,000 more members in that group since I posted my comment.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.3    4 years ago

You are right of course, hence why I am so conflicted. 

And 11,000 more reasons I hate our species. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2.4    4 years ago

You're right.  They are stupid.  The group used to be named Christians Against Google, and some of the comments were public.  One I was able to see talked about their endeavour to take down Google because "Google doesn't have the answers; God does."

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
8.2.6  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.1    4 years ago
There do seem to be an inordinate number of assholes among us.

As they say "If you see one cockroach, then there are a thousand more under the stove". Those 70,000 are just the tip of the right wing white supremacist iceberg.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2.7  Thrawn 31  replied to  sandy-2021492 @8.2.5    4 years ago

Am I a bad person for hoping that we run into a dinosaur sized asteroid?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.2.8  Gazoo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2.7    4 years ago

Yeah.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2.9  Thrawn 31  replied to  Gazoo @8.2.8    4 years ago

Lol, i appreciate the honesty 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.2.10  Gazoo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2.9    4 years ago

Ok, i don’t know you well enough to say you’re a bad person, but hoping that every human on the planet suffers, or worse, dies, is not a good thing.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2.11  Thrawn 31  replied to  Gazoo @8.2.10    4 years ago

But is our species continuing on or spreading amongst the stars a good thing?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8.2.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2.11    4 years ago

We're due for a The Day the Earth Stood Still type moment.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
8.2.13  Freefaller  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2.7    4 years ago
Am I a bad person for hoping that we run into a dinosaur sized asteroid?

Lol maybe just a little but a dinosaur sized asteroid wouldn't do any serious harm to the planet

Gazoo
Junior Silent
8.2.14  Gazoo  replied to  Thrawn 31 @8.2.11    4 years ago

A good thing for who? Or what? As a member of our species i’d say it’s a good thing we carry on. 

Is it a good thing for the planet! Nope.

But hey, our individual time here is short so enjoy it as much as we can.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
8.2.15  Thrawn 31  replied to  Gazoo @8.2.14    4 years ago
A good thing for who? Or what?

The ultimate question lol. 

lady in black
Professor Quiet
11  lady in black    4 years ago

First, these guys should NEVER see the light of day.

Second, there is a FB called Justice for Gregory and Travis McMichael (which originally was Christians against Google, they changed the name). It is a group page so unless you join you can't see what's posted but this is their description:

These 2 God fearing men were only trying to protect their neighborhood. This area has had a string of break-ins and this man fit the description and did not comply with simple commands. Our hearts go out to the McMichael family in their time of need. Amen

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  lady in black @11    4 years ago
Our hearts go out to the McMichael family in their time of need. Amen

And a heartfelt "FUCK YOU" to the family of the person they murdered. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
11.2  Freefaller  replied to  lady in black @11    4 years ago
This area has had a string of break-ins

According to another article I read this information is from the McMichaels statement.  However the police have stated there had only been one break in reported in that area and that was when something was taken from one of the McMichaels vehicles.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
11.2.1  lady in black  replied to  Freefaller @11.2    4 years ago

I read the same article.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
12  pat wilson    4 years ago

One more activity that's not safe to do if you're black...jogging.

GregTx
PhD Guide
14  GregTx    4 years ago

Wouldn't be surprised at all if the "neighborhood watch" were day drinking in the garage when they noticed the "suspect". I would hope that if there is anything positive that comes from this pandemic it's that............

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  GregTx @14    4 years ago

Don't know, pretty sure they just saw a nigger and decided murder would be fun. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.1.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Thrawn 31 @14.1    4 years ago

That might be the language they use, but let's not, OK?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14.1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  1stwarrior @14.1.1    4 years ago

You know the context in which I am using the word. I would never use it outside of said (or academic) context. 

And damn 1stwarrioir, getting a little bit of a liberal streak in you?!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
14.1.3  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  Thrawn 31 @14.1.2    4 years ago

Nah - just my Indian side parsing words :-)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
14.1.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  1stwarrior @14.1.3    4 years ago

Haha, carry on marine, carry on.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
15  Freefaller    4 years ago

Been watching this story for a couple or three weeks and all I can say is it's about damn time.

CB
Professor Principal
16  CB    4 years ago

All I will say is, 25 years old. Three quarters of a lifetime of possibilities, all scrubbed and snuffed out, because of at best men with guns and a misunderstanding. I'm out of this one. It's just too much.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
17  seeder  1stwarrior    4 years ago

Great news from the GBI - 

This is gonna get good.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
17.1  seeder  1stwarrior  replied to  1stwarrior @17    4 years ago

On Wednesday,  cellphone video  showing Gregory McMichael, 64, and his son Travis McMichael, 34, confront Arbery was released. It shows the final moments of Arbery's life while he was jogging through the Brunswick neighborhood in February. Travis shot Arbery with a shotgun twice, and the 25-year-old collapsed, and died.

"I can tell you that there's more than sufficient probable cause in this case for felony murder ," Reynolds said Friday. 

The director would not speak to police investigator's work prior to GBI's involvement, but said "in a perfect world" the bureau would have been asked to become involved in February.

In Georgia, the penalty for a felony murder conviction is either life in prison with or without parole or the death penalty.