╌>

Police Immunity is Out of Control

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  thrawn-31  •  4 years ago  •  14 comments

Police Immunity is Out of Control
This 50-year-old creation of the U.S. Supreme Court is meant to protect government employees from frivolous litigation. In recent years, however, it has become a highly effective shield in thousands of lawsuits seeking to hold cops accountable when they are accused of using excessive force.

Qualified Immunity has essentially become a license to kill. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Reuters found among the cases it analyzed more than three dozen in which qualified immunity protected officers whose actions had been deemed unlawful. Outside of Dallas, Texas, five officers fired 17 shots at a bicyclist who was 100 yards away, killing him, in a case of mistaken identity. In Heber City, Utah, an officer threw to the ground an unarmed man he had pulled over for a cracked windshield, leaving the man with brain damage. In Prince George's County, Maryland, an officer shot a man in a mental health crisis who was stabbing himself and trying to slit his own throat.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

We really need officers to be smarter. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1    4 years ago

We really need to hear the whole story in these cases, instead of a biased left wing summary.

But the authorities did the right thing and arrested and charged those assholes who shot and killed the jogger

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago
We really need to hear the whole story in these cases, instead of a biased left wing summary.

No, we really don't. When a guy is stabbing HIMSELF and trying to slit HIS OWN THROAT, the solution is not shooting him. 

When someone is riding a bike, 5 officers don't need to shoot 17 times and kill him before they even try to ID the person. 

Does someone really deserve brain damage for irritating an officer because of a cracked windshield? 

[Deleted]

But the authorities did the right thing and arrested and charged those assholes who shot and killed the jogger

Completely unrelated, but yes, fuck those cock suckers. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Ender  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

Holy crap dude. Is everything political? So now cops getting away with excessive force and dare I say even murder, is a left wing conspiracy?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.1.3  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ender @1.1.2    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1    4 years ago

Smart people don't want to be cops any more. They want to earn money so they go into the fields where they can make it.

When you don't pay people a decent salary you get  people who can't do anything else. It seems to me that the enforcement/security field is attracting a different kind of persons these days.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    4 years ago

I think you are right. Law enforcement has started to become an area of employment for those with nowhere left to go. There are still some intelligent people out there who just want to do good and serve the public, but (especially after the wars) it seems more and more like law enforcement is seeing their job as patrolling hostile territory. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    4 years ago

There use to be a running joke in Biloxi, the people that had nothing else they could do became cops.

That said, some of ours are actually pretty nice. I got stopped for speeding and was just friendly with him and he let me off with a warning.

Others are assholes though. One woman cop was having an affair and went to her lovers house and left her young daughter in her patrol car in the heat. Poor child died.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.3  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ender @1.2.2    4 years ago
That said, some of ours are actually pretty nice.

Oh I have had that happen. I came back to my hometown after being gone for 10 years, and got pulled over driving home one day. I was pulling out my license and insurance as the officer walked up to my window, as I started to look up I saw the name on the pocket. I looked up at him and just said 'Colton?" He looked back at me and said my name equally confused and I proceeded with "holy shit man, how are you? It has been a long time!". We proceeded to shoot the shit and catch up on the last 10 years (for an hour or so) before he just let me go. 

There are some good ones, but I have had a few that act like the fucking Gestapo, like you can't breathe without their permission. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2.3    4 years ago

State cops are usually the nicest. Town clowns usually have a bug up their ass about something.

My daughter was coming home for the weekend once and got pulled over for 80 in a 70 mph. The cop asked her the usual questions where you going, where you coming from, and she said to her parents home which was only about 5 minutes away. The cop looked at her and said "Young Lady, your parents want you home in one piece not a box. Slow down!" and then he let her go.

State cop...they have a thankless job but I do my best to make them earn their pay.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.5  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.4    4 years ago

The smart ass in me would have said 'how do you know what my parents want?"

But you are right, staties are usually better. My wife got pulled over in Penn. and the statie looked at our license, we explained that we didn't know how far the exit actually was (we thought it was right there) and then we just shot the shit with him for a few mins, and that was that. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2.5    4 years ago

Good one!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    4 years ago

It's a shame that we have to wait on the Supreme Court to repair this. It would be far more efficient to see policy reform at the local level. Unfortunately, all politicians are afraid of being labeled "soft on crime."

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @2    4 years ago

The Supreme Court were the ones that fucked it up begin with. 

What really set it off for me was when a cop was driving down the road using his computer, ran over and killed a kid, and the courts just said "welp, line of duty shit".