╌>

Black People Are Tired

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  4 years ago  •  7 comments

By:   Red Letter Christians

Black People Are Tired
"Black People Are Tired" was anonymously authored and circulated through social media in the wake of Ahmaud Arbery's death.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

RLC Editor May 14, 2020 General, Peace & Nonviolence, RaceACS_0145.jpg

"Black People Are Tired" was anonymously authored and circulated through social media in the wake of Ahmaud Arbery's death. Yet black souls like Breonna Taylor keep being stolen from us. Red Letter Christians has created this tribute to bring light to these tragic injustices and honor the lives of those lost in a world still infected by white supremacy and violent racism. May they rest in power. May we fight for love and justice so that no one else has to see their loved ones become a hashtag.

Thank you to the person who first penned these words, to Lisa Sharon Harper for narrating, and to Common Hymnal for sharing Rose Petals with us.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Red, Brown, and Black.

Those are the colors of my grandchildren.

Indian, Mexican, and African American.

How best do I create a safe world for them?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

By remembering that we all bleed red and stop putting so much value on what makes us different. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

You love them and you hold them and do the best you can.

CB
Professor Principal
2  CB    4 years ago

I was not going to react emotionally to this Youtube piece. I thought it would be more of the same, . . . . And still, the accumulation of the images and the remembering of each life's narrative in the news broke me down.

It's so much. It's too much. It's another rose petal resting on the ground.

I ache for these young black people; I imagine the individual killing shot or vice-like grip that divided each one of them from their voices and sense of our world. I'm 'wounded.' And yet that sore spot in my life will have to be reopened and walled off many times, because I have no faith in humanity to heal itself of hatred for the Other.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
2.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  CB @2    4 years ago

The video did the same for me,,,, truly heartbreaking. 
Recognizing likeminded folks, who bring healing in the face of hatred, gives hope. I recognize that in your posts here CB. Thank you. 

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  CB  replied to  Larry Hampton @2.1    4 years ago

Larry, I have been to the mountaintop. I have stood on it and peered over the other side down, down, down into the valleys and still standing there I behold the most amazing sights. Black, white, brown, red, and yellow people dealing with proper and real problems as agents of humanity; free of the curse of mere skin .

The image that will stick with me. . . .

original

Because this is. . .  .

A little black boy only imagines one day to be the power, majestic, and authority behind the badge to be in charge of his own people's manifest destinies. A little boy like him does not hate the police (he would not get this close or turn his back to them if he did), he wants them to simply SEE him vulnerable through his black and brown container of skin.

I have never been this vulnerable to police, because in my encounters with law enforcement officials somehow, through it all, each individual officer in the critical moment or crux - that officer even with gun drawn SAW me- the real me.

And, I am here today to tell that story.

CB
Professor Principal
3  CB    4 years ago

The video montage, song, and story are impeccable, Larry! (Smile.)