╌>

Wild bison gores 72-year-old woman in Yellowstone after she got too close - CBS News

Category:  Pets & Animals

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   CBSNews

Wild bison gores 72-year-old woman in Yellowstone after she got too close - CBS News
Park officials say she repeatedly approached the animal to try to take its picture.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

June 30, 2020 / 5:37 AM / AP

A 72-year-old California woman was gored and injured multiple times by a wild bison at Yellowstone National Park after repeatedly approaching the animal to take its photograph, park administrators said Monday.

The woman was flown to an Idaho hospital for treatment of her injuries following the June 25 incident. She wasn't identified and her current condition isn't known.

1593520170-yellowstonebison3006.jpg?fit=1894%2C1263&ssl=1

The woman was at her campsite at the park's Bridge Bay Campground when she approached within 10 feet of the animal multiple times prior to being gored, park officials said.

Run-ins between visitors and bison, also known as buffalo, occur periodically at Yellowstone. The animals are normally placid but can respond aggressively and charge when approached.

Park biologist Chris Geremia said that's what appeared to happen in the latest instance, with the bison responding to what it perceived as a threat when the woman got too close.

Visitors are required to stay at least 25 yards away from large animals, including bison, elk, bighorn sheep, deer, moose and coyotes, and at least 100 yards away from bears and wolves.

In May, a woman was knocked to the ground when she got too close to a bison near the popular Old Faithful geyser.

Earlier this month a Missouri woman suffered minor injuries after being knocked to the ground by a grizzly bear in a surprise encounter.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

bison_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

She got within 10 ft of the animal.   Possible darwin award candidate, although hopefully she will be ok. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I make it a point to keep a safe distance from any wild animal that can forcibly insert a fang, claw, horn (or any combination of the 3) into my person. So far, that precaution has worked out quite well for me. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago
I make it a point to keep a safe distance from any wild animal that can forcibly insert a fang, claw, horn (or any combination of the 3) into my person

They're called "wild animals" for a reason. 

Its seems that every so often there's some idiot that doesn't realize that's there a difference between "wild animals" and tame ones. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    4 years ago

Indeed. Even tame ones will turn on you if you piss them off enough.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

You can't fix stupid. She qualifies for the Darwin award.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    4 years ago

Mess with the Bison, you get the horns ....

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
4  JaneDoe    4 years ago

So many people just don’t get what wild animal means, gotta get that picture! SMH

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Has she never heard of a telephoto lens?  You can get great pictures and don't have to get as close as ten feet to get them.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago
A 72-year-old

How do you get to be that old being that stupid?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tacos! @6    4 years ago

Dementia ....

Gsquared
Professor Principal
6.2  Gsquared  replied to  Tacos! @6    4 years ago

Never leave the house.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

She will probably never be as cool as Teddy Roosevelt riding a bull moose through a lake. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @7    4 years ago

LMAO, you believe that BS story, Dean? 

It's a fake photo. No one rides a wild full-grown bull moose. It was part of the presidential campaign and Roosevelt was the candidate for the ''Bull Moose'' party.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9  Freefaller    4 years ago

On a positive note I'm pretty sure she learned a valuable lesson and will never do something like that again.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
10  Gsquared    4 years ago

Many years ago I was camping overnight on Catalina Island with a couple of friends.  The bison herd there wandered near us after dark.  I was sitting next to a tall pile of logs, happened to stand and turn around, and came face to face with a bison less than 10 feet away on the other side of the log pile.  I sure backed off quickly.  Scared the heck out of me for a few seconds.

Minotaur sighting...

Krishna
Professor Expert
12  Krishna    4 years ago

Every once in a while there's a storyin the news  like this one:

GRAPHIC VIDEO: Tourist eaten alive by 3 tigers after climbing into pen to dodge zoo fee

Gordy327
Professor Expert
12.1  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @12    4 years ago

Hey, his plan worked: he didn't have to pay an exorbitant zoo admission. Lol

Krishna
Professor Expert
13  Krishna    4 years ago
Park officials say she repeatedly approached the animal to try to take its picture.
Maybe this particular Bison was a Muslim?

Krishna
Professor Expert
13.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @13    4 years ago
Maybe this particular Bison was a Muslim
Many devout Muslims believe its a sin to make pictures of the human form, f or some that applies to pictures of any living.thing. (That's why there are so many beautiful & very intricate abstract geometric designs in some Muslim art-- especially in some mosques).