╌>

A family's wounds from racism | Newsday

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  4 years ago  •  40 comments

By:   Tedra Grant (Newsday)

A family's wounds from racism | Newsday
I didn't experience racism until my family moved to Long Island. And that was the beginning of our multigenerational experience with prejudice that continues today. We lived in nice areas of Brooklyn,

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

From left, Tedra and her sister, Sharonn, and their parents Doreen and William Thompson. Credit: Tedra Grant

Updated June 29, 2020 6:00 AM PrintShare fbShare Tweet Email

I didn't experience racism until my family moved to Long Island. And that was the beginning of our multigenerational experience with prejudice that continues today.

We lived in nice areas of Brooklyn, including Marine Park and Coney Island, in the early 1970s. My dad, a Vietnam veteran who earned the Bronze Star with Valor Decoration, loved the water. So, my dad, who worked for the post office and wanted a better life for his children, bought a home near the water in Freeport in 1979.

We were one of two Black families on our street.

On the second day after moving there, we came home and found "KKK [racial epithet] MOVE AWAY" spray-painted in white letters on the gray shingles of our home. For the better part of our first two years there, I was bullied by two white boys on my block. I was about 8, and I still remember being called Magilla Gorilla, tar baby and monkey, and told to go back to Africa. Of course, I was called the N-word.

After we and other Black families started moving in, some of the Irish and Italians started moving out to less diverse areas like Levittown, East Meadow and Massapequa. Many Jewish residents stayed, and none were racist toward me. I have a very strong connection to the Jewish community.

In Freeport, I recall going to my friend Donna's home, and hanging out on her family's boat. When her dad got home from work one day, Donna said: "You have to leave because my dad doesn't like Black people, and doesn't want you on the boat." I was maybe 10. Think of your child hearing that.

When the girl I thought was my best friend for years decided to invite a white friend to go with her to see her grandmother in Florida, I suspected it might have had something to do with my race because we were inseparable.

When my now-husband Andrew and I were dating, we looked for an apartment in the area. We saw an ad for a two-bedroom unit in Franklin Square. The real estate agent called the homeowner, and the place was available. It took us five minutes to get to the home from the agent's office. The homeowner saw us, and said that he just rented the apartment. We looked at the agent, and each other, and knew what this was about. When Andrew and I were searching for our second home, we wanted to live in Dix Hills because of the educational reputation of the Half Hollow Hills school district. White agents would show homes in Wheatley Heights and Deer Park, but not Dix Hills. They kept telling us the homes were cheaper and taxes were lower, until my husband finally said to one of them: "Dix Hills is not Wheatley Heights, Dix Hills is Dix Hills. Stop taking us to Wheatley Heights. We don't want to live in Wheatley Heights. If I were white, would Realtors be shuffling me into this community?"

About eight years ago, I was looking for an apartment for my dad, and inquired about a place in Massapequa. The homeowner gave me directions to his home, and stated: "I'm going to take you through a short cut to get to my house. You are going to go through a Black neighborhood, but don't worry, you will be out quickly." Needless to say, I didn't bother to see that apartment: I told him that if he had an issue with Black people he should speak up because we were Black. He said he didn't, but that his neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate him renting to a Black man.

Just weeks ago, my daughter Sydney, a high school senior who will attend the University of Pennsylvania, found out through a shared text that a student she knows in her high school felt Sydney wasn't qualified to go to the prestigious Penn because she wasn't in the top 20 of her class and that she had only been accepted because she was Black. The student wrote: " ... the people who are fit to be in that college [Penn] are gonna graduate, it just happens to be whites and Asians, all the more not to accept people who don't have high enough stats just because of their skin color." Despite taking Advanced Placement and honors classes with Sydney, she assumed my daughter didn't have the stats because she was Black.

The wounds are always there. They are raw when I talk about them, even more so now that our nation is undergoing a reckoning about racism. My hope is that we listen to the voices of Black America, that there is an understanding of our human experiences with racism in America, and that change will one day come.

Tedra Grant of Dix Hills is a registered nurse in hospice and palliative care.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Long Island is a hotbed of racism and white supremacy.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @1    4 years ago

You have got to be kidding me. I live here. My husband grew up in Freeport, where she grew up. I lived in a mixed community Amityville and there were no issues. My mom is a landlord in Oceanside and rents to blacks regularly. My kids when to Hopkins where the vast majority of total scholarships went to blacks. What am I missing? Guess what? Many other people face bigotry. I know I have as have my kids. 

Oh and btw.. no real estate agent would say anything about color, since it is against the law. 

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    4 years ago

Not kidding. Long Island is known for racism!

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    4 years ago

Note the date..........................

bought a home near the water in Freeport in 1979. We were one of two Black families on our street.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1    4 years ago

According to wikipedia, Long Island is over 1300 square miles and has a population of 7.6 million people.  From the demographics it appears to be sufficiently ethnically diverse. 

But, in such a large population and a relatively large area it would be very unlikely there is no to little racism. I imagine Long island is like everywhere else. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.4    4 years ago

That is exactly what this sounds like - the way things were, more than the way things are.

The thing about the RE Agents and house sellers sounds a little amateurish. The way that used to be done was that sellers would say to whomever they were speaking - "two parties have already looked at it and one is considering putting in an offer, your'e welcome to come and see it, your'e second on the list." That's how it was done, but I never hear of that anymore. There are laws that are enforced now and the brokers wouldn't stand for it!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.4    4 years ago

Point taken. And no where does it mention Baldwin which is the town right next to Freeport. Look at these demographics:

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.7    4 years ago

That neighborhood is perfectly integrated!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.1.6    4 years ago

A broker can't say it in NYS. It is against the law and they would be sued and incur possible criminal charges. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.9    4 years ago

I agree. I said the seller.   The brokers handle all the prospective buyers and the only color that matters to brokers is green, which also helps.

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.11  seeder  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.9    4 years ago

Are you accusing the author of lying. You do know people do things against the law don't you? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @1.1.11    4 years ago

I'm saying that is her personal experience growing up in the 1970's. It is not everyone who is black or Latino, or any other minority group. 

And since my parents are in the real estate business, I do know what happens to brokers who do that. They get reported more often than not. 

Btw, the article ends with her living in Dix Hills. It is an expensive neighborhood, no matter what part. 

JBB
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

More documented evidence of racism in long Island.

JBB
Professor Principal
3  seeder  JBB    4 years ago

Denial is futile. Long Island has a racism problem...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JBB @3    4 years ago

JBB,

Your first article is an opinion piece the second one, is about a protest in Riverhead. 

Let me tell you about Freeport. It is an upper-middle-class black neighborhood of mostly black people. Here is a study about this phenomenon:

This is not forced upon them but self-imposed. They like living in their own community. I personally know 2 black families who grew up in Dix Hills proper and the most expensive part of it and loved living there. 

I am not saying that there is no racism or bigotry on Long Island, but not any different from anywhere else. 

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.2    4 years ago

LI is quite different. LI is a Trump stronghold!

Everyone knows LI is not like the rest of NY...

JBB
Professor Principal
3.2.6  seeder  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.3    4 years ago

[deleted]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago
LI is quite different. LI is a Trump stronghold! Everyone knows LI is not like the rest of NY...

There are two parts of LI. Nassau and Suffolk. Nassau went to Clinton, Suffolk went to Trump. 

both counties have about the same population. Wanna try that again?