╌>

Disney to release Mulan online Sept. 4 on Disney Plus, for $30 in US

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  evilgenius  •  4 years ago  •  25 comments

By:   Joan E. Solsman Aug. 5, 2020 5:23 a.m. PT

Disney to release Mulan online Sept. 4 on Disney Plus, for $30 in US
It'll cost roughly the same amount in other select countries, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a number of countries in Western Europe.

Are you ready for feature films to be released on streaming platforms because they can't get a wide theatrical release? I don't know if I am or not, but Disney is going to test the waters here with Mulan.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Disney  will release its live-action film  Mulan  online through its   Disney Plus   service on Sept. 4, but it won't be included as part of a standard subscription.   Mulan  will cost $30 in the US in addition to   Disney Plus ' regular subscription fee, and it will be priced at roughly the same amount in international markets where it'll be available online too, including Canada, Australia, New Zealand and a number of countries in Western Europe. 

Mulan , which Disney originally slated for theaters in March but had to  push back the release date multiple times  because of the  coronavirus , will be released as what's known as premium video on demand. Typically, that means a high-priced rental, but Disney will give customers access to watch Mulan indefinitely as long as they keep their Disney Plus subscription active. You're essentially buying the brand-new movie, rather than unlocking a one-time rental. 

Read more at https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-mulan-release-date-online-disney-plus-sept-4-30-dollars-us/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    4 years ago
You're essentially buying the brand-new movie, rather than unlocking a one-time rental. 

I would consider dropping $29.99 if I got perpetual digital viewing rights to the right movie. I don't know if Mulan is the right one for me though.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

I miss the old Disney movies like Son of Flubber, the original Love Bug and the Shaggy DA but I can't get into the stuff they've been releasing the last thirty years. 

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

I believe I saw Flubber the Herbie movies listed there. I probably wouldn't have signed up if I didn't get 1 year free with Verizon. The Mandalorian was a pretty damned good series. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @2.1    4 years ago

I signed up for Disney+ because someone told me I "had to" see the play Hamilton which was shown exclusively on Disney+.  I wasnt all that impressed with Hamilton and dont watch the channel enough to make the 8 bucks a month worthwhile. Will probably cancel it before the second month kicks in. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The price is well, gouging. Netflix has released numerous films to streaming in recent years, including some that have been nominated for Oscars, with no charge other than a monthly subscription. The new Tom Hanks WW2 movie The Greyhound was released directly to streaming on Apple TV with no extra charge beyond a subscription, which can be canceled after one month. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 years ago

The price is well, gouging.

It's a $200M movie that hasn't released in theaters.

Netflix has released numerous films to streaming in recent years, including some that have been nominated for Oscars, with no charge other than a monthly subscription.

Netflix lost money on those movies. It's not a sustainable business model.

The new Tom Hanks WW2 movie The Greyhound was released directly to streaming on Apple TV with no extra charge beyond a subscription...

Tom Hanks wasn't happy about that either.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 years ago

The price is about what a couple would spend on a night out at the movies.  Between the ticket price, food, drinks, and sometimes parking, it can add up.  The one downside I see is not having the large theater screen and sensuround.  The upsides are that you can enjoy better food at home, no line for the bathrooms, people talking during the movie, cell phones belonging to rude assed people going off, can watch from bed or watch totally naked if that is what floats your boat, and no one kicking the back of your seat.  Also Netflix usually streams movies after theater releases and most people who do stream it have seen the movie before.  Moulan is a new release so it makes sense that it might be more.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    4 years ago

I love going to summer blockbuster movies at the theater. It's one of those things I miss during this Covid close down. Yes, it's runs me somewhere aroun $35 a trip if we get snacks and I almost always at least get a bucket of popcorn. I could save money if theaters close and don't re-open. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.2  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    4 years ago

I will say in theatres the sound is excellent. I just have a tv with no soundbar or anything extra. Sometimes I have a hard time hearing their words, if the background noise is too much or it sounds like they are mumbling.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2.3  seeder  evilone  replied to  Ender @3.2.2    4 years ago
I just have a tv with no soundbar or anything extra.

I have a new 7.2 surround sound Dolby Digital 4K Ultra HD home theater receiver. Yeah... I know, I know. My gf already told me I was wasting my money, but she still uses it as much as I do. LOL!

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    4 years ago

I would have to say no. That is expensive. So you would have to pay thirty bucks plus continue to pay for a subscription.

I would rather just buy a dvd or a digital download and have it on a thumb drive.

Sounds like a ripoff to me.

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Ender @4    4 years ago
Sounds like a ripoff to me.

I'd be paying nearly the same price to go to a theater to watch it once. Then I'd have to wait for it to drop on the service OR pay another $20 to pick it up on BluRay. Considering it's a $200M film that hasn't yet released in theaters I don't think the cost is excessive. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Ender  replied to  evilone @4.1    4 years ago

I think the last time I went to see a movie I only spent the 10 bucks for the ticket. I don't like to sit there and get my hands dirty trying to eat popcorn or something and no where to wipe off my hands. I also never understood the need to have to have a drink. I can go two hours without having to have a beverage. Better to go have a drink after.  Haha

I see all of Hollywood as nothing but waste and excess. I have seen crappy movies and thought, how in the hell did they spend that much money.

I have also seen great films where they only spent maybe a hundred grand.

Maybe just me but I would rather just have something like HBO and wait for a movie to show there.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @4.1    4 years ago
Considering it's a $200M film

Is that the viewers problem?  They are depending that kids who saw the animated version will demand that their parents buy the live action version at any cost. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.3  seeder  evilone  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    4 years ago
Is that the viewers problem?

It is if they want to see the movie. 

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.4  seeder  evilone  replied to  Ender @4.1.1    4 years ago
I think the last time I went to see a movie I only spent the 10 bucks for the ticket.

It's around $9 per person here for matinee. Factoring the snacks and stuff I'd probably be saving money. Still, it's Mulan.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.5  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  evilone @4.1.4    4 years ago

we have to remember we are basically talking about marketing , and how a movie company is going to recoup what they spent to make a film , and in the age of corona and the shut down of public venues , it actually makes sense to do what their doing  to try and recoup what they spent , now will a film be worth it? that will depend on who actually wants to see the live action version of the animated hit.

IMHO , the live action versions have been pretty much hit or miss as to how audiences receive them .

one I didn't like was the live action version of alladin., No one , and I mean no one could replace  robin Williams as the genie.  to me that would have been like taking James earl jones out as playing Mustafa in the lion king. certain people will always be identified with some of the parts they play , they are looked at as the gold standard , and its hard to top what people already think is perfect in their minds .

evilone
Professor Guide
4.1.6  seeder  evilone  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @4.1.5    4 years ago
we are basically talking about marketing , and how a movie company is going to recoup what they spent to make a film , and in the age of corona and the shut down of public venues , it actually makes sense to do what their doing  to try and recoup what they spent

Yes. How long can they keep pushing back theatrical releases? 

I didn't like was the live action version of alladin.

I didn't think it was horrible. It was pretty unforgettable.  I did kind of want to see this live action Mulan because it's a big budget action film and not a movie with comedy side kicks and musical numbers.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
4.1.7  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  evilone @4.1.6    4 years ago
did kind of want to see this live action Mulan because it's a big budget action film and not a movie with comedy side kicks and musical numbers.

Come on lol the spiritual guardian dragon voiced by eddie murphy ,,,he pretty much egged Mulan on ...

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

for me , streaming is the way I have chosen to go for the simple fact that my hearing being what it is ( bad )  I can adjust things better in the comfort of my own living room than I can in movie theaters , its the same if I go out socially , too much background noise and I end up with a migraine and cant hear anything and end up leaving events .

I currently pay for 2 services , hulu and Disney +, I stream through a Roku , which gives me other options for free streaming that I usually search through, so I basically pay 14 bucks  a month for my 2 pay services , and my internet connection for streaming is a reasonable fee of 50 bucks which I would pay anyway just for internet services .

The only problem with the roku menu is some channels require one to have a cable subscription to acsess some of the available  channels .

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5    4 years ago

Hi Mark. I use a Roku TV in my living room and a Roku Ultra up in the bedroom.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
5.1.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  evilone @5.1    4 years ago

I like mine , a lot of choices on some of those free channels to tv shows that are in syndication 

I just did a binge marathon watching on Hulu of lost. never got into it when it was actually on the air.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  evilone @5.1    4 years ago

I am an old fart so I don't stream or subscribe.  If I can't find something to watch, I put on a DVD.  I have been to the movies twice in 8 years (one of those times, I heard that Hugh Jackman would be naked, so I had to go).  I am one of those who will just wait for a movie to hit cable.  I avoid going to theaters for the reasons I stated in 3.2.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1.3  seeder  evilone  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @5.1.1    4 years ago
I just did a binge marathon watching on Hulu of lost.

Hahaha. I have all the DVDs. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6  Greg Jones    4 years ago

I haven't been to a movie theater since the early 80's

I get all the entertainment I want from a generous Direct TV lineup provided by the apartment management

My only cost is a $10 a month charge for the DVR, which holds a prodigious amount of programming.