╌>

Fauci Squashes Trump's Distortion Of CDC's COVID-19 Death Toll Data

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  54 comments

By:   Cristina Cabrera (TPM)

Fauci Squashes Trump's Distortion Of CDC's COVID-19 Death Toll Data
Dr. Anthony Fauci on Tuesday threw cold water on President Donald Trump and his allies' attempt to distort the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's…

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

GettyImages-1208730821-804x536.jpg

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Tuesday threw cold water on President Donald Trump and his allies' attempt to distort the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) data to misleadingly shrink the COVID-19 death toll.

During an interview on "Good Morning America," Fauci clarified the CDC's recent report that states 6 percent (approximately 9,000) of the 183,500 COVID-19 deaths were attributed to the coronavirus alone.

The infectious disease expert pointed out that the figure simply means COVID-19 caused those 9,000 deaths without causing the pneumonia, cardiac arrest, or other complications that killed the other 94 percent of people who contracted the virus.

That data "does not mean that someone who has hypertension or diabetes who dies of COVID didn't die of COVID-19. They did," Fauci said.

"So the numbers you've been hearing, the 180,000+ deaths, are real deaths from COVID-19. Let there not be any confusion about that," he added. "It's not 9,000 deaths from COVID-19. It's 180+ thousand deaths."

Fauci's explanation comes after Trump retweeted several times the false claim that only 6 percent of the CDC's recorded deaths were caused by COVID-19 (Twitter took down one of the posts Trump had retweeted for violating the platform's misinformation policy). White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany defended the President's retweets, claiming that he was "highlighting new CDC information that came out that was worth noting."

Watch Fauci below:

FULL INTERVIEW: Dr. Fauci weighs in on 6M US coronavirus cases, deaths and comorbidity.@arobachhttps://t.co/Jmk8Ni1mQVpic.twitter.com/ELvo50X68N
— Good Morning America (@GMA) September 1, 2020

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Watch the video for Fauci's explanation which I will summarize here.  The 9000 refers to people who died of covid but didnt have any other medical condition. The rest of the 180,000 died from covid-19 but had other medical conditions as well. 

As usual Trump misrepresented the statistics. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Dr. Fauci has no reason to lie and uses statistics and facts unlike Trump who lies continually is woefully ignorant to the facts.  Dr. Fauci, the WHO, and the CDC should do podcasts and give us the skinny unlike Trump who is dumber than a post about this.

Eat The Press Do Not Read It
PhD Guide
2.2  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 years ago

Why do some folks still believe Trump, the bag of lying fermented Sheep Dips?

What is his appeal?  Ever thing Trump has done has screw things up, MADE THEM WORSE!

Do they just believe Fox TV Network News, and, do not know that one of the largest investors in a Saudi Prince?

PhD Guide
2.2.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @2.2    4 years ago

So, the ties between Fox-Saudis-Trump-Saudis!  All comes down to MONEY & WORLD DOMINATION!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago

If there is confusion over any data or guidance coming out of the CDC, it is their own fault. The one consistency has been their inability to communicate with clarity.

PhD Guide
3.1  Eat The Press Do Not Read It  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

The inconsistency comes from the CDC's boss, Trump, misusing, abusing and subverting another goverment agencies to benefit himself.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Eat The Press Do Not Read It @3.1    4 years ago
The inconsistency comes from the CDC's boss, Trump, misusing, abusing and subverting another goverment agencies to benefit himself.

Not to mention Trump had to be corrected on the information he provided at times.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I thought this was pretty simple to understand. Some people get COVID and die even tho they have no pre-existing conditions. Some one with a pre-existing condition gets COVID and dies. But if they hadn't contracted COVID they would not now be a COVID statistic. Without COVID, they would be a statistic of people who die of diabetes and heart conditions

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 years ago

If a person has cancer and drowns the death certificate doesn't read death by cancer. It reads death by drowning.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @4.1    4 years ago

My mother had rheumatic heart disease, the underlying condition, but her death certificate read myocardial infarction brought on by internal bleeding caused by coumadin overdose. No rheumatic heart disease on her DC

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.2  Jasper2529  replied to  Kavika @4.1    4 years ago
If a person has cancer and drowns the death certificate doesn't read death by cancer. It reads death by drowning.

Hi, Kavika. I suppose it depends on the physician. My father's death certificate "cause of death" is COPD, CAD, prostate and bladder cancer. Although he had prostate cancer in the late 1980s, he'd been cancer-free for over 20 years and he'd never been diagnosed with bladder cancer. No autopsy done. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Kavika   replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.2    4 years ago

I think that each state may be a bit different. I looked up some info on death certificates and this is what I found regarding death by COVID.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
4.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Kavika @4.1.3    4 years ago
I think that each state may be a bit different.

This is very possible. Thank you for the CDC link. I use CDC and Johns Hopkins for my Covid data.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Kavika   replied to  Jasper2529 @4.1.4    4 years ago

I use JH as well.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Trout Giggles @4    4 years ago

It does seem like a bit of good news, though. Unless you're elderly and/or have some these conditions, you'll probably do just fine if you get infected.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @4.2    4 years ago

Not with some studies that show people can have damage to the heart.

We don't know any long lasting impact.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Kavika   replied to  Ender @4.2.1    4 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Kavika   replied to  Kavika @4.2.2    4 years ago

I looked up how many people in the US are obese. 

The numbers are staggering.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.4  Ender  replied to  Kavika @4.2.2    4 years ago

What I call disingenuous is people trying to say the virus has less of an impact as people were sick anyway.

Bullcrap. People can have their condition manageable yet here comes the virus and it is substantially worse.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2.5  Ender  replied to  Kavika @4.2.3    4 years ago

The amount of 'large' people is unreal.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I thought this was pretty simple to understand. Some people get COVID and die even tho they have no pre-existing conditions. Some one with a pre-existing condition gets COVID and dies. But if they hadn't contracted COVID they would not now be a COVID statistic. Without COVID, they would be a statistic of people who die of diabetes and heart conditions

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    4 years ago
Without COVID, they would be a statistic of people who die of diabetes and heart conditions

Or, they might not be dead in 2020. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    4 years ago

that, too

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    4 years ago

Then there are some with pre-existing condition like my neighbor (diabetes) who get it and survive.