╌>

Lindsey Graham says Black people can 'go anywhere' in South Carolina if conservative | US news | The Guardian

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  cb  •  4 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   Jessica Glenza (the Guardian)

Lindsey Graham says Black people can 'go anywhere' in South Carolina if conservative | US news | The Guardian
“If you’re a young, African American or an immigrant, you can go anywhere in this state, you just need to be conservative, not liberal”.

You see the quote? above. I have been saying this for months! Conservatives are waging war on liberals, while liberals of all stripes simply want to be left out of their 'madness.'

But, what should you do when someone, some group, some collection of organizations, won't leave you alone to live in peace?  You get a bigger political stick and you knock their asses out! Make them get back! Teach them about boundaries!

Emphatically.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In a televised campaign event US senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said African Americans and immigrants can "go anywhere" in his home state but they " just need to be conservative".

Graham made the comment in a televised "conversation" with his political rival, former South Carolina Democratic party chair Jaime Harrison, the first African American to serve in the role.

He made the remark in the context of political careers, and said Harrison would lose because he is a Democrat, not because he is Black.

"Do I believe our cops are systemically racist? No. Do I believe South Carolina is a racist state? No. Let me tell you why. To young people out there, young people of color, young immigrants, this is a great state, but one thing I can say without any doubt, you can be an African American and go to the Senate but you just have to share our values."

He went on to say: "If you're a young, African American or an immigrant, you can go anywhere in this state, you just need to be conservative, not liberal".

The comment was in response to a question about civil unrest, and as America reckons with its long history of racism and ongoing police brutality, including the national revulsion following the killing of Black man George Floyd by a white Minneapolis police officer.

South Carolina was a Confederate state during the civil war, and later institutionalized racism during the Jim Crow era, enforcing the second-class status of African Americans.

Graham, a longtime senator, is tied with Harrison in a highly competitive race.

The conversation was originally planned as a debate, but was changed at the last moment because Graham refused to take a Covid-19 test, despite a major outbreak in the Trump White House which has infected two of Graham's Republican Senate colleagues.

That speculation and Graham's remarks - which sparked a deluge of online fury - prompted Democratic congressman Eric Swalwell to tweet: "Is that the fever talking, or the steroids?"

Charlie Sykes, editor the Bulwark, was even more blunt, saying: "Lindsey, 1954 wants its talking point back."

NOTE: Image from this article could not be fetched.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

CB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  CB    4 years ago

Charlie Sykes, editor the Bulwark, was even more blunt, saying: "Lindsey, 1954 wants its talking point back."

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

I found that comment to be absolutely mind boggling.

Does he not remember EMC?

CB
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  CB  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago

Trump conservatives want it all: All of everything! Liberals stay back! What/who is EMC?

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  CB @2.1    4 years ago
What/who is EMC?

Emanuel African Methodist Church where Dylan Roof killed nine black churchgoers in Charleston a few years back.  

My wife and I were in Charleston a week or so after this happened. We went to the church to pay our respects. It was surrounded by a fence at that time. I remember standing there and feeling my heart drop, my wife had tears running down her face. It was overwhelming to say the least.

CB
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  CB  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    4 years ago

Kavika! I just read this comment from two days ago. (So much happening, I guess got the best of me.) Thank you for sharing such a personal moment. It was a 'nother moment of injustice that makes you throw up both your hands and wanna holler!

Lindsey just laid it out there plain: You won't get schemed against in conservative circles by conservatives, if, and only if, you are a conservative. Otherwise, your freedoms are questioned and subject to adjudication! Just look at how they are orchestrating the control over the courts from top to bottom.

It is a diabolical scheme to disenfranchise liberals, progressives, and secularists in 'merica!

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    4 years ago

What kind of bull is that? You can be here but you have to share our values and be conservative...

If I lived in the state I would be pushing for Harrison. He made him look like a fool during the debate.

And now the idiot refuses to be tested for the virus. He could be positive and spreading it around.

Let him go to his senate meetings and spread it to his republican colleagues...

CB
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  CB  replied to  Ender @3    4 years ago

It is a tell: Conservatives have cut the liberals off in the senate. There is no "us" and camaraderie in the senate anymore. It is just conservative senators:conservative talk radio and tv hosts and Donald doing whatsoever they will using raw political power to fuel their indulgences.

Realize that Mitch McConnell has not legislated much in the last two years; bills from the liberal house piled up and "stinking" in Mitch's in-basket graveyard! While Mitch greedily stuffs conservative judges (from the federalist society) onto federal courts!

Done to thwart liberals who one day will come seeking and appeal . . . .

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Lindsay knows where he can go.  I would be more than happy to give him directions.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  CB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

The opportunist! He turned against the memory of John McCain just like that! I used to believe and accept that seniority in the states was a positive thing. Not anymore! I have watched them "old heads" some even liberals that simply can't cut "the mustard" anymore. Their arguments are weak or simply ineffective.

It is time for the aging "wonders of the yesteryears" (Lindsay is one of them, my dearest Diane Feinstein -one of my senators is another) to pass the batons! Go home. You've gotten all your t-shirts, your pensions, and accolades. Go home. . . and do so while we can still thank you for your service!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

Ms. Linsey supports the proud boys.  

Lindsey Graham photographed with leader of white nationalist group Proud Boys

8347754083c90c9e6f2126dae8c0d302

CB
Professor Principal
4.2.1  seeder  CB  replied to  Tessylo @4.2    4 years ago

That is 'rich.' And speaks volumes about the cautious nature of political picture-shopping.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

Indeed! He is as two-faced as his now godly leader. I remember when he was so devoted to John McCain and against Trump. Now he echos Trumps nasty words about McCain now that he has walked on. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    4 years ago
"Do I believe our cops are systemically racist? No. Do I believe South Carolina is a racist state? No. Let me tell you why. To young people out there, young people of color, young immigrants, this is a great state, but one thing I can say without any doubt, you can be an African American and go to the Senate but you just have to share our values.

I lived in SC for 5 years. I  was mistaken for a Health Inspector once because I was a white man shopping in a black owned Piggly Wiggly.

When passing older black people downtown, they always politely stepped into the street to avoid confrontation. It was embarrassing.

The town clung to their "White's Only" water fountains with pride because they no longer enforced it, making them feel better about themselves.

In traffic court one day and two cases in a row, the defendants were asked why they ran.  They said it was because they were black

and the officer(s) were white and they were afraid based on prior experiences.

the racism is real and it runs both directions

CB
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  CB  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

Translation for what Lindsay is TRYING to state as a positive: Conservatives know their place; their role; know their "percentages,"  their ability to claw, rake, and tear their way to the top over the business and political 'flesh' of another. A black person, a minority individual (not a group classification), can achieve greatness in the conservative marketplace, speaking, behaving, and perpetually camouflaged as a conservative.

Of course, that means, freedom is conditional in South Carolina. But, Lindsay implies he and others know that!

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

Here they are finally changing the name of an elementary school that is in a primarily Black neighborhood.

It has been called Jefferson Davis elementary...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @5.2    4 years ago

What are they changing the name to?