╌>

Trump's Racist Stench Will Cling to His Enablers Forever

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  15 comments

By:   Jonathan Chait (Intelligencer)

Trump's Racist Stench Will Cling to His Enablers Forever
Conservatives like Ben Shapiro and many National Review writers praise Donald Trump for opposing woke excess and the 1619 Project. But they are undercutting their argument by ignoring Trump's open racism, most recently his attacks on Ilhan Omar.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

b1ba53f496229d8eeea1042c0312743ef4-trump-rally.rsquare.w700.jpg

A month ago, President Trump added to his rally speech a new riff about Ilhan Omar, expressing indignation that the Democratic member of Congress would dare to express opinions about American government. "She's telling us how to run our country," he sneered. "How did you do where you came from? How's your country doing? She's going to tell us — she's telling us how to run our country."

Omar is an American citizen who immigrated to the United States legally, as a child. Trump's claim that she has no right to participate in American politics because she is an immigrant from Africa — and that she is permanently defined by her country of origin — is not only flagrantly racist, but would have been seen as bigoted a hundred years ago. And yet he has continued to repeat this grotesque racist attack on her at rally after rally before braying crowds.

This is the sort of outburst that used to trouble a certain strain of professional conservative. The right-wing intelligentsia has formed three broad categories of response to Trump. The most enthusiastic, on the right, have defended the president unreservedly. The most disgusted ("Never Trumpers") have denounced him, and often his enablers as well.

In the broad middle of conservatism is a third category of conservative I have in mind here. These are the conservatives who will occasionally acknowledge Trump's flaws even while supporting him broadly. They will ruefully and sarcastically bemoan his childishness, egotism, and self-destructive habits without ever urging a course of action that might stop him (Democratic control of Congress, enforcement of congressional oversight, impeachment, voting for Joe Biden).

These conservatives have spent the last four years mostly directing their energies attacking Trump's opponents or dissecting the flaws in the arguments against him. They are most comfortable discussing something else. Usually, that something else is the excesses of the cultural left. If you read National Review , or Ben Shapiro's Daily Wire, you find them filled with ghastly tales of obnoxious progressives unfairly calling something racist or sexist.

I happen to believe that the use of witch-hunt tactics on the left is a problem — not as important a problem as racism, but a problem, and have made thispoint repeatedly. Conservatives clearly (almost by definition) consider the left's response to racism worse than racism itself. They have believed this forever, since National Review 's founding, when William F. Buckley was mocking civil-rights demonstrations in the South. But even conservatives who take this position acknowledge that racism is bad.

Or, at least, they acknowledge it in the abstract. Trump's emergence onto the national scene has complicated matters for them. Their position requires dismissing racism as a vestigial prejudice whose once-doleful influence has waned to the point of irrelevance. Trump's insistence on reminding people that racism and sexism remain alive and well makes a mockery of their pat dismissal.

Even worse, his constant outbursts of unconcealed bigotry force them to choose between affirming their official racism-is-bad line and offending their audience, which adores everything about Trump, perhaps most especially his raw assertion of white-male prerogative.

The default position for this brand of anti-anti-Trump conservative was to ignore Trump's racism when possible, acknowledge and dismiss when necessary. The main subject was always Trump's critics, but Trump himself would sometimes pop into the field of vision. His worst offenses were subjected to careful parsing. Shapiro's agonized equivocation over Trump's reported comments about opposing immigration from "shithole countries" in Africa from 2018 is a classic of the genre:

Perhaps Trump is a racist. Perhaps not. Either way, we can have a productive conversation about whether particular Trump statements or actions are racist. But we can't have a productive conversation that starts from the premise that Trump is a racist overall, and that every action he takes and every statement he makes is therefore covered with the patina of racism.

Trump may do and say racist things — quite a few of them, in fact, over a long period of time — but Shapiro believes it's unfair to describe him as a "racist." "Racist-American," perhaps? "Person of racism?"

As the evidence of Trump's bigotry has piled up, the need to ignore it has grown more urgent. National Review 's endorsement editorial is a telling document in this regard. Unwilling either to lash itself to the candidate it had famously opposed in a special "Against Trump Issue" or to alienate its readership, NR published three endorsement editorials — one pro-Trump, one anti-, and the other undecided. The latter, by Charles C.W. Cooke, positioned as the "reasonable" middle ground for conservatives, functioned as a proxy editorial and a final statement of the magazine's assessment of the president.

The editorial contains a healthy mix of criticism and praise for Trump, along with unstinting hostility toward Joe Biden. (The implicit combination of these assessments, mixed toward Trump and uniformly hostile to Biden, makes it a kind of sub-rosa Trump endorsement.) Most revealingly, while it lashes Trump for a variety of personal and ideological failings, Cooke's editorial does not scold him for his racism or sexism, even in a single aside. The only mention of Trump's position on identity politics is a line praising him for having "chosen to use his platform to champion the nation's history and push back against 'critical race theory,' a cancerous ideology that, if unchecked, will destroy the country from within."

Cooke's view is echoed in a recent column by NR editor Rich Lowry, arguing that if Trump wins, the credit would belong to him becoming "the foremost symbol of resistance to the overwhelming woke cultural tide that has swept along the media, academia, corporate America, Hollywood, professional sports, the big foundations, and almost everything in between," including "the 1619 Project."

We should be clear that, as National Review is tallying its final assessment of Trump at the end of his term, his position on race nets out as a positive in the ledger. They are not supporting him despite his record on racism, but in part because of it.

Supposedly, this is because Trump rejects the overly dark vision of American history in the 1619 Project. But Trump is a hilariously flawed vessel to advance conservatives' idealistic historical view of America as a shining city on a hill. He has frequently compared the United States to the world's most odious regimes, and denied any moral difference between it and gangster states like Putin's Russia. While conservatives spent years mining a selectively edited Barack Obama quote to falsely depict him as a critic of American exceptionalism, Trump has openly attacked the concept ("When [Putin] criticizes the president for using the term 'American exceptionalism,' if you're in Russia, you don't want to hear that America is exceptional.") He claims American military heroes have committed war crimes, and boasts of having done them himself. Trump actually paints the United States in much darker tones than the 1619 Project (which is filled with a belief in the possibility of improvement and redemption). He shares Howard Zinn's basic belief that American history is a procession of mass murder and colonial appropriation. The main difference in their worldview is that Trump sees these crimes as good things.

So bear in mind, when conservatives hold up Trump's opposition to critical race theory and the 1619 Project as arguments in his favor, they are not thinking primarily about American idealism as a civic creed. They are thinking of … other elements of Trump's racial politics.

What makes this argument especially transparent is that the alternative to Trump is not AOC or even Elizabeth Warren, but Joe Biden, the scourge of the woke left. Biden is not a 1619 Project guy. He has sung the praises of America's history, defining its progression up from racism as its central theme. He has even claimed, preposterously, that the country has never had a racist president before Trump!

Biden opposes defunding the police. He has spent the campaign defending his authorship of a tough-on-crime bill, even into the general election, where Trump has assailed him for locking up too many Black men. (Were their positions reversed, this topic would be Exhibit A in NR 's indictment of Biden as a woke, soft-on-crime leftist.)

"The Biden campaign does not care about the critical race theory-intersectional left that has taken over places like the New York Times ," a Democratic strategist told Politico this summer. "You can be against chokeholds and not believe in white fragility. You can be for reforming police departments and don't necessarily have to believe that the United States is irredeemably racist."

Biden's availability as the alternative is what puts the lie to the right's argument that Trump offers the only resistance to the cultural far left. Conservatives could support a candidate who wants to increase police funding and believes deeply in America's goodness and pledges in every speech to represent the entire country. They would rather have the candidate who gives them those positions alongside a decades-long record of virulent racism.

The conservatives could make a case for supporting Trump despite his racial politics. Instead they present his racial politics as a point in his favor. One day, after Trump is gone, they will make it out that they never liked the racism. But the stink will cling to them nevertheless.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Biden's availability as the alternative is what puts the lie to the right's argument that Trump offers the only resistance to the cultural far left. Conservatives could support a candidate who wants to increase police funding and believes deeply in America's goodness and pledges in every speech to represent the entire country. They would rather have the candidate who gives them those positions alongside a decades-long record of virulent racism. The conservatives could make a case for supporting Trump despite his racial politics. Instead they present his racial politics as a point in his favor. One day, after Trump is gone, they will make it out that they never liked the racism. But the stink will cling to them nevertheless.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Biden's long history of racist rhetoric is well documented

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
3  Transyferous Rex    4 years ago
What makes this argument especially transparent is that the alternative to Trump is not AOC or even Elizabeth Warren, but Joe Biden, the scourge of the woke left. Biden is not a 1619 Project guy. He has sung the praises of America's history, defining its progression up from racism as its central theme. He has even claimed, preposterously, that the country has never had a racist president before Trump! Biden opposes defunding the police. He has spent the campaign defending his authorship of a tough-on-crime bill, even into the general election, where Trump has assailed him for locking up too many Black men. (Were their positions reversed, this topic would be Exhibit A in NR 's indictment of Biden as a woke, soft-on-crime leftist.)

So...this is the "we don't care that Biden is an out and out racist" piece? This is the "we are going to elect a racist, because he is not Trump" piece? This is the "we know that Biden has been recorded more than the Beatles, while being a racist fuck" but we don't care piece. Let's face it, if Stalin had been in the running for the Democrats, he would be the hands down favorite. Everything the liberals want, including but not limited to the fact that he is not Trump. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Transyferous Rex @3    4 years ago

Post a few of Biden's racist quotes. 

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
3.1.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    4 years ago

No. I read the article you posted, and it admits that Biden is not the poster child for a non-racist candidate. So, my question stands. Is this the "we don't give a damn that Biden is a racist" piece? Shit John, I quoted the language from the article you posted. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Transyferous Rex @3.1.2    4 years ago

If you want to believe that Biden is more racist than Trump, go ahead. 

If Biden's so racist, why wasn't he a birther in early 2008 when it might have helped him get the nomination?  

Trump was a racist birther in 2011, three years after the Hawaii Dept of Health said there was nothing to it. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    4 years ago
Post a few of Biden's racist quotes.

Thanks for the lob.

“You got the first mainstream African American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” (That’s in reference to President Obama.)

"You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."

(To a black reporter): “No, I haven’t taken a test. Why the hell would I take a test? Come on, man! That’s like saying you, before you got in this program, you’re taking a test whether you’re taking cocaine or not. What do you think, huh? Are you a junkie?”

“Unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things,”

“Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t black.”

"Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
3.1.5  Transyferous Rex  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    4 years ago

If you want to continue to avoid the simple question of "is this the we don't care if Biden is racist piece" that is your prerogative, I guess. Your post. The fact that you willfully ignore the content of the article you posted is on you. 

The funny thing is, you have to twist a question of whether or not Obama was a citizen into a racist issue. Had Obama been alleged to have been born in Germany, and if he was white, you'd have to find something else to bitch about, but Trump still would have questioned the fact, because it had nothing to do with the color of his skin, but the origin of his birth. You don't have to twist Biden's words though. Poor kids are just as smart as white kids...you have to have an accent to shop at 7-11, Obama is the first mainstream, articulate black man...Shit, the list goes on. But hey, you ain't black if you don't know who to vote for, am I right?

PJ
Masters Quiet
4  PJ    4 years ago

I could not agree more.  Anyone who aligned themselves with trump has no redeemable qualities.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ @4    4 years ago

PJ, do you remember Fred (from Wine in the Woods)?  He and I ended up having an embarrassing and very public blowup in Cape May, NJ.  We went for a day trip, the wives wandered off shopping, so he and I ducked into a pub for beer.  Three beers later it got ugg-lee.  Conversation veered to Trump, as so many conversations inevitably do, and it got loud.  Lots of heads turning around in booths to see what was going on - the waiter couldn’t wait for us to leave.  It made for an uncomfortable weekend, since we were staying with them in their RV at the beach.  This was during the primaries and Fred couldn’t name one person running other than Joe Biden, but insisted that they were all corrupt and Trump is spotlessly clean.  Haven’t seen him since then - waiting until Trump is flushed down the toilet he created to attempt another get together.

PJ
Masters Quiet
4.1.1  PJ  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @4.1    4 years ago

Do I remember Fred?!  I wish I could say no, but yes, I remember Fred.  The more wine he consumed the louder he got.  I remember ducking out before it got to the next level.  hahahahahaha 

I cannot believe you still hang out with him.  His wife seemed very nice but he definitely had some self esteem issues.   Was your lady wife upset with you after the blow up?  I bet she read you the riot act for not keeping the peace.  lol

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  PJ @4.1.1    4 years ago

His wife is the only reason he is in our life, trust me.  I don’t hang out with him, I take one for the team about twice a year so we can visit with his wife.  The bright side of covid for me is that I’ll get a nice long break from him.  We found out the other day that they both got covid btw, but neither ended up being a serious case.  My lady wasn’t upset about the scene at all, she thanked me for enduring him so she can visit with her good friend.  She knows how precarious it is to have to converse with Fred.  He is the quintessential Trump supporter.

JBB
Professor Principal
5  JBB    4 years ago

Who besides white evangelicals has not found themselves on the outside of Trump's policies...

Under Donald Trump's leadership  ? we have already seen the gop vilify Muslims and brown skinned Spanish speaking refugees. We saw gays and especially transexuals degraded. Women were marginalized. Black and Asian Americans were demonized. Immigrants were excluded and Non-Christians were falsely blamed and demonized. Everyone to the left of Rush Limbaugh has been accused of hating America. I ask you, is that any way to unite a great nation?

Is it any wonder that the once Grand Old Party of Abraham Lincoln is now known merely as the gop?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago
If you read National Review , or Ben Shapiro's Daily Wire, you find them filled with ghastly tales of obnoxious progressives unfairly calling something racist or sexist.

I suppose that's true, but that doesn't say anything about Trump. I don't frequent either of these sources, but I'm pretty sure Shapiro is well known as not being a particular fan of Trump.

This article seems like another one of those perspectives that says you're either with us 100% or you're against us. No nuance allowed.