╌>

Donald Trump Jr. said covid-19 deaths are at 'almost nothing.' The virus killed more than 1,000 Americans the same day.

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  9 comments

By:   Timothy Bella (MSN)

Donald Trump Jr. said covid-19 deaths are at 'almost nothing.' The virus killed more than 1,000 Americans the same day.
Trump Jr.'s comments come as at least 1,063 people in the U.S. died of the novel coronavirus, the second-highest daily total for October.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

AAxYtfi.img?h=24&w=24&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&f=png Donald Trump Jr. said covid-19 deaths are at 'almost nothing.' The virus killed more than 1,000 Americans the same day.

Donald Trump Jr. declared on Thursday night that coronavirus deaths had dropped to "almost nothing," questioning the seriousness of the pandemic on a record-breaking day for new cases in which more than 1,000 Americans died of the virus.

e151e5.gif © Twitter/Screen shot via Twitter Donald Trump Jr. during an interview on "The Ingraham Angle" on Thursday.

Speaking to Fox News host Laura Ingraham, Trump Jr. pointed to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that he suggested show a declining coronavirus death rate.

"I went through the CDC data, because I kept hearing about new infections, but I was like, 'Why aren't they talking about deaths?' " Trump Jr. said. "Oh, because the number is almost nothing. Because we've gotten control of this thing, we understand how it works. They have the therapeutics to be able to deal with this."

While medical advances and less-crowded hospitals appear to have reduced the death rate from the early days of the pandemic, scientists warn it's not clear whether that's a long-term trend, The Washington Post reported. As cases surge across the United States, fatalities are often a lagging data point for CDC researchers, and reports can be incomplete in capturing the actual rate at which people are dying from the virus and its complications.

Physicians are also fearful that the latest burst in new cases, including a record 89,940 on Thursday, will lead to a greater number of deaths in the coming weeks, according to the New York Times.

"This is still a high death rate, much higher than we see for flu or other respiratory diseases," Leora Horwitz, director of NYU Langone's Center for Healthcare Innovation and Delivery Science, told the Times of the current death rate. "I don't want to pretend this is benign."

On Thursday night, though, the president's eldest son pointed to a post from his Instagram account that he argued painted a more clear picture of the present state of a pandemic that has killed at least 228,000 people in the United States.

"If you look at my Instagram," he said, "it's gone to almost nothing."

At least 1,063 people in the United States died of the novel coronavirus on Thursday, the second-highest daily total for October, and 5,668 have died in the past seven days. This week has also featured two consecutive days of more than 1,000 deaths, marking the second time that has happened in as many weeks, according to The Post's coronavirus tracker.

The discussion on Fox was sparked by an earlier segment on CNN, when Sanjay Gupta advised President Trump's supporters not to attend his rallies. Gupta, the network's chief medical correspondent, reported that new coronavirus cases had increased 82 percent of the time in counties that hosted a total of 17 rallies for the president between August and September. The infection rate in those counties had also climbed at a faster clip than the overall rate for their state, CNN reported.

Gupta noted that if anyone had been to one of Trump's outdoor rallies, which have attracted thousands of maskless supporters not adhering to social distancing recommendations, they should assume they have been exposed to the coronavirus and quarantine for 14 days.

"Don't go to these rallies," Gupta said. "Look, just about anywhere in the country now, if you go to a gathering that's several hundred people, it's without a doubt the virus is attending that rally with you."

On Fox, Ingraham said that Gupta's words, along with Minnesota's covid-19 guidelines capping the number of attendees at the president's planned Friday rally to 250 people, was "a part of a larger media effort" to discourage attendance at Trump rallies. The president later tweeted his displeasure over the Minnesota limitations.

"Don, is he kidding me?" Ingraham asked Trump Jr., referring to Gupta. "They are pulling out all the stops. Now the virus is attending the rally. Apparently, they're waving flags, too." She added later, "A tragedy is not a reason to take people away from their candidate." Trump Jr. scoffed at Gupta, calling him a "moron."

Trump Jr.'s claim that death rates were now at "almost nothing," captured in a clip that had been viewed more than 2 million times as of early Friday, prompted a strong response from critics and medical experts.

Alexis C. Madrigal, a staff writer at the Atlantic, concluded that Trump Jr.'s statement "may result from a common misinterpretation of CDC provisional death counts," noting that incomplete data for recent weeks would incorrectly show deaths to be in decline.

Ashish K. Jha, a physician and the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, suggested the claim showed a lack of empathy.

"I realize I am naive," Jha tweeted. "But I'm still shocked by the casualness by which our political and media leaders and their families dismiss the daily deaths of nearly a thousand Americans."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Let's get rid of these assholes on Tuesday. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Ashish K. Jha, a physician and the dean of the Brown University School of Public Health, suggested the claim showed a lack of empathy.

Well, look who just woke up.  Putz.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Who listens to Donny, Jr anyway?

Ender
Professor Principal
4  Ender    4 years ago

Would people please vote these idiots out....

lady in black
Professor Quiet
5  lady in black    4 years ago

Another brainless twit heard from

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
6  Dismayed Patriot    4 years ago

To a Trump, American lives are worth nothing which is why they can't even be bothered to notice when a 1,000 Americans are dying every day. The narrative they've selected to get through the election is that Donald did a great job, beat the virus, we rounded the curve and the pandemic is over, all hail the champion Donald Trump. Apparently the virus didn't get the memo. But who are you going to believe? Don Jr or your lying eyes? Trump is betting his followers are just too stupid to notice, and sadly, he may be right. You can fix ignorance with knowledge, but you just can't fix stupid.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     4 years ago

Yesterday Florida had 5592 new COVID cases that is the highest since August 16th. We also had 72 deaths. 

The village idiot Donnie Jr. seems to think that this is not a big deal since our state Florida has lost 16,720 citizens. Not enough to concern himself about.

I'm sure that the Trump rally in Tampa yesterday in around 3 weeks with add to the count, but there just some numbers. /s

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Well.  He seems nice.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
9  Gsquared    4 years ago

"Almost nothing"

Describes Donnie Jr. perfectly