jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  author  TᵢG    4 years ago

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  TᵢG @1    4 years ago

Are they going to go with the Electoral College thing even if not all ballots have been counted? Isn't that how he won last time. 

That is not a fair election.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
1.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    4 years ago

As the Electoral College doesn't come into play until all states have certified the vote, you might be a bit premature.  Yes, in 2016 Trump won the Electoral College.  Will he do it again?  There are states where the votes are still being counted so the jury is still out.  I figured PA was going to take days as their election laws do not allow for the voting districts to start any processing of mail-in and early ballots until election day. PA received what, something like 10 million mail-in ballots?  I even heard on one evening news show that one county in PA wasn't planning on opening the mail-in ballots until after polls closed on election day. So PA may get called today or it may be another day or two before they call PA.  All we can do is wait and see.

And from what little I've seen so far,  while there had been a bit of bluster from politicians and talking heads it would appear that this election has been mostly fair.  Of course there is still a lot of reporting to come in.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.1.2  author  TᵢG  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    4 years ago

The electoral college is not an option, it is part of the CotUS and state constitutions.    But the ballots will be counted in states that are close and whose results could be affected by the uncounted ballots.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1    4 years ago

Let's do the math.

Biden currently with 264 and Trump currently with 215 = combined total of 478 with 54 uncounted yet

There are 538 total EC votes.

Even if Trump were to get all 54 which is unlikely, he would still be short 2 to win.

Biden only needs 6 more.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  TᵢG @1    4 years ago

Somebody is going to have to put a fork in Trump cause he is pretty much done. He just needs to realize it. I did not Biden to win, but the will of the people have spoken and it looks like he will lead the country for the next four years for better or worse.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  TᵢG  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @1.2    4 years ago

Unless the numbers turn decisive, Trump will keep this going, driven by his narcissistic ego.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    4 years ago
Trump will keep this going, driven by his narcissistic ego.

And his desperate need to stay out of jail.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2  author  TᵢG    4 years ago

There is no way to predict who is going to win this thing.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  TᵢG @2    4 years ago

If my math was correct, Trump will be 2 short on EC votes.  So he can't win.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.1  author  TᵢG  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    4 years ago

My comment @2 is three days old.   A lot has happened since then.   Right now, it is clear that Trump will lose.   I think it was also clear yesterday when Trump's positions in 3 of the 4 remaining states started to dwindle.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  author  TᵢG    4 years ago

If Biden wins GA then Trump really has to pull an inside straight flush.   I got one thing right, the election dynamics are interesting.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
5  Baron Creek    4 years ago

Looking at the county maps of MIchigan, Wisconsin and Nevada, it would seem that these states will move into the Biden column. That would make it 270. So regardless of N.C., GA, PA... Biden seems to have the race in hand, just not a blowout.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
5.1  author  TᵢG  replied to  Baron Creek @5    4 years ago

Yup, I agree.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.2  Snuffy  replied to  Baron Creek @5    4 years ago

I agree too.  If those three to go Biden, the vote count is over.  Unfortunately the court battles will then begin.  Maybe we'll get a final answer for Christmas?  hehe

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
5.2.1  Baron Creek  replied to  Snuffy @5.2    4 years ago

In some repects, it is better if Trump takes Pennsylvania. Winners rarely scream about "them cheating refs". Losers almost always do. It might be much harder to make such claims about Wisconsin and Michigan. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
5.2.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Baron Creek @5.2.1    4 years ago

yea, but we are talking about Trump here

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
5.2.3  Baron Creek  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.2.2    4 years ago

What I find interesting is that Nebraska's 2nd district is putting Biden to the 270... otherwise a possible tie. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.4  Krishna  replied to  Baron Creek @5.2.1    4 years ago
Winners rarely scream about "them cheating refs". Losers almost always do.

No matter how any of this plays out, if Trump loses, its obvious that Trump will cry "Foul" and constantly bring up the topic of "how there could be violence".

(Never actually directly advocating violence, ya unnderstan'.putting the idea out there to his followers...)

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
5.2.5  Baron Creek  replied to  Krishna @5.2.4    4 years ago
No matter how any of this plays out, if Trump loses, its obvious that Trump will cry "Foul" and constantly bring up the topic of "how there could be violence".

And if he does win, there could be violence. We live in a country where jubilant fans over celebrate victories.

Setting that all aside, I suspect that Pennsylvania and Georgia margins will be extremely small. That it is obvious, imo, that Arizona, Nevada and 2nd district of Nebraska are in Biden's column, which would hit the magic 270. There is a lot of ad revenue for networks to prolong the hysteria... in this age where both broadcast and cable news have been shedding viewership to alternate on line streaming. November is a traditional sweeps month. 

Chill out! 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6  author  TᵢG    4 years ago

A likely scenario ... the winner to be decided by split votes in ME, NE.

2pKWW.png

evilone
Professor Guide
6.1  evilone  replied to  TᵢG @6    4 years ago
A likely scenario ... the winner to be decided by split votes in ME, NE.

270 to 253 would be interesting. Not very productive (except for lawyers and media) though. I expect the next 2 to 4 years to look much like the last 2 to 4 years no matter who wins now. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  TᵢG @6    4 years ago

OMG... Bite your tongue. If it comes down to that, it will be anarchy! 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.2    4 years ago

That would not be such a great scenario, but I would hope the American people will be better than that. 

2020, the year that keeps on giving. Can I cry uncle yet?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.2.2  author  TᵢG  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @6.2    4 years ago

It would certainly state clearly that the winner does not have a mandate.   Best that the winner focus on the virus, rebuilding our economy,  and other maintenance and not try to push pet initiatives.

So if Biden wins I hope (just hope) that he will focus on getting the nation healthy again and restoring dignity to the office of PotUS.   How about a routine, moderate four years just keeping the ship afloat?

CB
Professor Principal
6.2.3  CB  replied to  TᵢG @6.2.2    4 years ago

I hear your sentiments loud and clear. However, it is getting frustrating to ALWAYS have to placate right-wing politics and policies!

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.2.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.2.1    4 years ago
2020, the year that keeps on giving.

It's like herpes.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.3  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @6    4 years ago

In several states its so close that's important when looking at the map...to check the day and time it was posted.

It changes that quickly!

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.3.1  author  TᵢG  replied to  Krishna @6.3    4 years ago

It would be shocking at this point if Trump pulled out a win.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
6.3.2  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  TᵢG @6.3.1    4 years ago

Agreed.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.3.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @6.3.1    4 years ago

I dunno. Anything could happen

TᵢG
Professor Principal
6.3.4  author  TᵢG  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.3.3    4 years ago

True, but a Trump win is extremely unlikely given the information at hand.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.3.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  TᵢG @6.3.4    4 years ago

I do want you to be right

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.3.6  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.3.5    4 years ago

within the last 15 minutes

Biden is holding steady in 2 states

Trump is slipping steadily in 3 states

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Biden just got Wisconsin. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    4 years ago

Come on, Michigan.  Count faster.  And what is the holdup with Nevada?

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.1  evilone  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1    4 years ago
And what is the holdup with Nevada?

Nevada said they won't release their final numbers until Friday?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  evilone @7.1.1    4 years ago

Ok, thanks.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.3  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1    4 years ago

Michigan is saying another 24 hours.

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.4  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1    4 years ago

Kavika
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Kavika   replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1.2    4 years ago

In the 2016 election, Michigan was not settled until November 24th. 

They are counting millions of ballots. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
7.1.6  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Kavika @7.1.5    4 years ago

That they are and Antrim County is manually recounting because of a software glitch.

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.7  evilone  replied to  Kavika @7.1.5    4 years ago

Some outlets are calling MI for Biden now. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.8  Krishna  replied to  evilone @7.1.7    4 years ago

Not certain yet-- but it looks like Biden will carry both MI and We-- and Trump doing surprisingly well in Pennsylvania. 

Arizona stronger for Biden than expected. One possible contributing factor there? Possibly some Californians fleeing taxes-- andrecurring terrible  fires (plus the possibility of earthquakes).. high cost of living in general...

Probably many of those fleeing are moving to AZ and NV??? (And the majority probabl;y being very liberal...)

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    4 years ago

All I want is this lying, stupid, deceiving, president gone. If I never had to look or hear Donald Trump pass by or speak in my world again it would be a day too soon! What a disgusting 'brute' of a man! Trump is a disaster!

Will this be hard on the Biden yes to govern a 'herd' of brute-sycophants who will try and test his patience to the ng degree, but at least we will have time to let some of the scarring take place over this festering wound that is our political environment today!

Snuffy
Professor Participates
9  Snuffy    4 years ago

Of course we still have to wait for the states to certify the vote.  Just listened to the noon news here in Arizona.  While the AP called the state for Biden, the counting isn't done.  According to the state, there are still 248,000 approx early ballots to count, plus the early ballots that were dropped off at polling locations yesterday, plus all provisional ballots.

The current numbers are :

Biden :  1,411,086 

Trump : 1,317,568

difference of 93,518

I would imagine that there are other states in the same situation where the state has been called one way or the other but the tabulation of the votes is not yet complete. So in my opinion it's time for another glass of bourbon and some more patience.  

Good news, the world hasn't ended and the sun still came up. 

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
9.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Snuffy @9    4 years ago

Michigan's is closer than Arizona. We're talking less than 40,000 vote difference and one county hasn't reported anything at all yet.

Wisconsin is closer too; similar to MI in difference. We're talking less than 1% difference still.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
10  Baron Creek    4 years ago

I am intrigued by the house races. Supposedly, the reps had hoped to minimize lost seats to single digits. Now it appears they may gain some seats, although the dems would still hold majority. It does suggest a leadership battle come 1-3-2021.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1  Texan1211  replied to  Baron Creek @10    4 years ago

I think after yet another lackluster House election, Pelosi's role as Speaker may be in real jeopardy now.

Losing 7 seats when your party wins the WH doesn't look good.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
10.1.1  Baron Creek  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1    4 years ago

All politicans are about the next election cycle and getting re-elected. We have concluded a census and redistricting will take place in several states. Politicians in those affected states are guessing whether they have a job opening next time around and what their constituency might look like. Toeing the party line might become difficult if the leadership appears weak. That will be happening when major issues are still staring us in the face. 2021 is looking tough, imho. 

evilone
Professor Guide
10.1.2  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1    4 years ago
I think after yet another lackluster House election, Pelosi's role as Speaker may be in real jeopardy now.

I'd be happy if they voted in someone else, but she does a good job keeping the Progressive at bay which is fine by me.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  evilone @10.1.2    4 years ago

she had a tough time in 2018 while winning seats, what will happen after losing seats when Biden won?

evilone
Professor Guide
10.1.4  evilone  replied to  Texan1211 @10.1.3    4 years ago

I think it will actually be easier for her since the smaller numbers will need to be more focused.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
11  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Trump's lead in PA has dwindled to one percentage point.  In Georgia, it's 0.1%, about 3,600 votes.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
12  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Georgia and Pennsylvania have both flipped blue.  Looks like Biden will win with 306 electoral votes.  Maybe more, if North Carolina flips, but that one's too close to call.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
13  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Biden has been declared the winner in Pennsylvania.