╌>

Associated Press has Biden just 6 electoral votes short of the presidency

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  23 comments

Associated Press has Biden just 6 electoral votes short of the presidency

The USA Today election map has Biden just 6 electoral votes short of the presidency.  They use state by state calls from the Associated Press. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Nevada will go Biden and he won't even need Pennsylvania or Georgia. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

But 306 is so much better than a 270 squeaker.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @1.1    4 years ago

Agreed!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.1    4 years ago

The Trump lead in PA has just shrunk to 109,000

400 to 500,000 ballots to go.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.2    4 years ago

That's all? whoa....

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The Associated Press called Arizona for Biden Wednesday morning and have not changed that call. They updated their reasoning earlier this morning. 

The AP called the race in Arizona for Biden at 2:50 a.m. EST Wednesday after an analysis of ballots cast statewide concluded Trump could not catch up in the ballots left to be counted.

Arizona has a long political history of voting Republican. It’s the home state of Barry Goldwater, a five-term, conservative senator who was the Republican nominee for president in 1964. John McCain, the party’s 2008 presidential nominee, represented the state in Congress from 1983 until his 2018 death.

But changing demographics, including a fast-growing Latino population and a boom of new residents — some fleeing the skyrocketing cost of living in neighboring California — have made the state friendlier to Democrats.

AndrewK
Freshman Silent
2.1  AndrewK  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

Nate Silver disagrees with their reasoning - thinks it was still too early to call - though alternately he has been saying that Nevada, based on remaining votes, is pretty much a lock for Biden. His argument is Arizona actually has a pretty strong history of mail in voting, and as such is not as likely to be as strongly pro-Biden as in some other states. The slightly shrinking margin in that state seems to support this thesis. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    4 years ago

It isn't over till it's over.  Yogi Berra.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

" the opera ain't over till the fat lady sings ." It is said that this expression was first used by a sports writer, Dan Cook, writing for the San Antonio News

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

"There is no path left for Trump in Nevada"

John Ralston 

Nevada politics guru. 

about 5 minutes ago

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  JohnRussell @3.2    4 years ago

But in Arizona, Joe Gloria just said he will be counting through Sunday, possibly Monday.

So the AP is way out on a limb of hundreds of thousands of votes that could favor Trump.

Biden & Trumps future is entirely up to  ( or down to)  PA & GA

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.1    4 years ago

I trust Associated Press.  They are the world's most authoritative news source.  Having said that, anything can happen. 

AP has had every chance to put Arizona back into a "too close to call" category, but have not done so. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.1    4 years ago

Sorry, Joe was the Clark County NV Clerk.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The Associated Press has called states in every election since 1848.   They have been wrong once.   They originally called Florida for Al Gore in 2000,  but retracted the call shortly later that night. 

Save Me Jebus
Freshman Silent
5  Save Me Jebus    4 years ago

Interesting how AP and Fox News already has Arizona for Biden, yet as I write this, CNN is still not calling AZ for Biden.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  Save Me Jebus @5    4 years ago

Funny seeing Trump supporters protesting Fox news over the AZ call.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Save Me Jebus @5    4 years ago
CNN is still not calling AZ for Biden.

There are enough uncounted ballots for Trump to win, though he'd have to win over 90% of the remaining ballots to overtake Biden and even Fox doesn't see that happening. CNN is just a little gun shy.

AndrewK
Freshman Silent
5.2.1  AndrewK  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5.2    4 years ago

The difference in Arizona is 2.4% and there is 12% uncounted. Percentage Trump would need to close is 68% by my calculation. Don't see it as likely - but who and where Arizona mail-ins come from is more difficult to predict than in say PA.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.2.2  evilone  replied to  AndrewK @5.2.1    4 years ago
...where Arizona mail-ins come from is more difficult to predict than in say PA.

It's PA where everyone is really watching. I think at this point it's a must win state for either side and it certainly looks better for Biden than Trump.

AndrewK
Freshman Silent
5.2.3  AndrewK  replied to  evilone @5.2.2    4 years ago

If Biden keeps Arizona - and Nevada is the lock that prognosticators like Silver are implying, than PA is just icing. Georgia definitely leaning Biden as well based on remaining votes and likely margins. 

My favorite crazy scenario - the Arizona call was wrong, Biden loses everywhere but Georgia ends up with 269, and Democratic House picks the President while the Senate picks VP. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.2.4  Snuffy  replied to  AndrewK @5.2.3    4 years ago
My favorite crazy scenario - the Arizona call was wrong, Biden loses everywhere but Georgia ends up with 269, and Democratic House picks the President while the Senate picks VP. 

Except it's not by individual votes in the house to pick the president.  It's by state delegation in the House and after the 2020 election,  (not counting PA as the counting there is not done) the Republicans have a 26 to 23 lead in state delegations.  

evilone
Professor Guide
5.2.5  evilone  replied to  AndrewK @5.2.3    4 years ago
My favorite crazy scenario -

Mine would be the Senate ties 50-50.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The end may be nigh. There are internet rumors that Biden will declare victory tonight. Georgia and Pennsylvania are both on the brink of being declared for Biden. 

Biden's camp was told to "prepare to celebrate" by a Pennsylvania official, according to a news report.