╌>

Ex-postal worker failed to deliver mail, says he 'got lazy'

Category:  Other

Via:  nona62  •  9 years ago  •  6 comments

Ex-postal worker failed to deliver mail, says he 'got lazy'

Ex-postal worker failed to deliver mail, says he 'got lazy

A former U.S. postal worker in Eugene, Oregon pleaded guilty to misdemeanor mail obstruction and was sentenced to a year of probation after failing to deliver nearly 1,000 pieces of mail.

Alex Douma, 27, told investigators he "got lazy" and failed to make rounds on multiple occasions between late April and early July. Douma set he set aside the mail because he "felt pressured for time."

Police recovered bins of undelivered mail on Douma's front porch last July, the Register-Guard reports . The bins contained mostly advertisements, but also had 27 voter ballots from last May's primary election and 200 items of first class and standard mail.

Douma's job required him to sort, scan and deliver the mail.

"I wasn't intending on keeping the mail," Douma told U.S. Magistrate Jude Thomas Coffin.

John Masters, a U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General agent told the paper that Douma's crime is a "very serious matter."

Douma's charge carries a maximum prison sentence of six months upon conviction.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/21/ex-postal-worker-failed-to-deliver-mail-says-got-lazy/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Nona62
Professor Silent
link   seeder  Nona62    9 years ago

John Masters, a U.S. Postal Service Office of Inspector General agent told the paper that Douma's crime is a "very serious matter."

Douma's charge carries a maximum prison sentence of six months upon conviction.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

In my neck of the woods they're so darn lazy they don't even offer home delivery. Everyone has to go to the post office to pick up their mail or pay a private company if you want home delivery.

Nona62
Professor Silent

Wow...you must live in an isolated area!

Nona62
Professor Silent

Not exactly a shock anymore. Unfortunately....

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
link   Dean Moriarty    9 years ago

I'm not complaining about what government doesn't do. If it was up to me I'd vail-village.jpg get rid of the post office all together and all mail delivery would be privatized. And it's not all that isolated here in Vail, Co.

Dowser
Sophomore Quiet
link   Dowser    9 years ago

I often wonder why it takes two days for mail to reach Oregon, but 7 days for a letter to come from downtown... Maybe the postman is just overwhelmed!