╌>

Veterans And Gold Star Families Granted Lifetime Passes To National Parks

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  evilgenius  •  4 years ago  •  10 comments

By:   VANESSA ROMO

Veterans And Gold Star Families Granted Lifetime Passes To National Parks
"With the utmost respect and gratitude, we are granting Veterans and Gold Star Families free access to the iconic and treasured lands they fought to protect starting this Veterans Day and every single day thereafter," said Secretary of the Interior David L. Bernhardt.

Something I'm planning on looking into further. 

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As coronavirus cases again surge across the country, the outdoors remains a rare and safe refuge for Americans, particularly for those struggling with anxiety or depression due to the pandemic.

On Wednesday, those hoping to reap the benefits of fresh air and the unseasonably warm weather in much of the country can explore national parks and forests for free in honor of Veterans Day.

And, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs   announced   U.S. military veterans and   Gold Star   families will be granted a lifetime of free access to national parks, wildlife refuges and other federal lands managed by the Department of the Interior.

"With the utmost respect and gratitude, we are granting Veterans and Gold Star Families free access to the iconic and treasured lands they fought to protect starting this Veterans Day and every single day thereafter," said Secretary of the Interior David L. Bernhardt.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

evilone
Professor Guide
1  seeder  evilone    4 years ago

It doesn't look like you need to apply for a pass. You only need to present ID that identifies you as a veteran.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

I love the National Parks and wildlife refuges and visit them whenever possible. This act for veterans and Gold Star families is much appreciated by me and I'm quite sure by all vets and their families.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago

There are a number of parks I would like to try to get to. I'll be trying to get to at least one of the closer parks this next year.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  evilone @2.1    4 years ago

Between MN and WI you have quite a few to choose from. 

In MN, Pipestone National Park and Voyageurs National Park are two of the very best.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    4 years ago

I was thinking maybe the Badlands and photographing some buffaloes. Maybe... Voyageurs is an outstanding place to go too. I'vr never been to Pipestone so that might be really cool to put on my list. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    4 years ago

Awesome.   Thank you fed, this is great.  

I hope the states reciprocate.   In fact, i'll be calling my Rep today to suggest it.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1  seeder  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @3    4 years ago

You can present an ID at any MN State Park and get a day pass. You can also go online and apply for an annual pass. In WI I think you can go online and apply for an annual pass, but I'm not certain. I'd have to look that back up.

EDIT: My VA card works for MN parks. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @3.1    4 years ago

Not in Michigan. 

Last i knew that was reserved for MOH recipients, 100% disabled, and POW's.

Which is great but it would be nice for all Vets as well.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.1.2  seeder  evilone  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.1    4 years ago

I just looked online in WI and it's 70% service connected disability or greater, POW or Purple Heart awardee.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I wish this had happened while I still had a car.