╌>

COVID-19 UPDATE:Hospitals in South and Midwest Showing Signs of Strain

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  17 comments

By:    By Melanie Grayce West/WALL STREET JOURNAL

COVID-19 UPDATE:Hospitals in South and Midwest Showing Signs of Strain
People still aren't taking Covid-19 seriously and with 3,000 news cases a day, the state can’t keep up.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Surging Covid-19 cases in the Midwest are hitting  hospitals in the region hard. BING GUAN/REUTERS

Hospitals across the South and Midwest are scrambling to accommodate a surge of new patients, in some cases pausing elective surgeries or transferring patients out of state.

More than 52,000 people are hospitalized with Covid-19 across the country. While every region is seeing increases, states in the South and Midwest were experiencing the greatest number of hospitalizations.  Nearly 17,000 people were hospitalized across the Midwest on Wednesday, eclipsing a previous high in May.

"Almost every hospital in Oklahoma has transferred or received Covid-19 patients as hospitals try to reduce wait times in emergency departments or free up space in intensive care units", said George Monks, president of the Oklahoma State Medical Association. "Some patients have even been transferred out of state".

The Oklahoma City area hit tier three of a four-tier statewide hospital surge plan, which calls for elective surgeries to be put on hold, among other measures.

“We’ve never seen a hospital crisis like this in Oklahoma,” said Dr. Monks. “Every day is worse and the pathway is unsustainable.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago
  • People still aren't taking Covid-19 seriously and with 3,000 news cases a day, the state can’t keep up.
  • Nearly 17,000 people were hospitalized across the Midwest on Wednesday, eclipsing a previous high in May.
  • "Almost every hospital in Oklahoma has transferred or received Covid-19 patients as hospitals try to reduce wait times in emergency departments or free up space in intensive care units"

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago
People still aren't taking Covid-19 seriously

While I think that’s true for a lot of people, I think we should be careful not to intimate that anyone who is sick got infected because they didn’t take it seriously enough. Some people surely are being reckless and exposing themselves unnecessarily, but no one deserves to get this disease.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago
  • “We’ve never seen a hospital crisis like this in Oklahoma,” said Dr. Monks. “Every day is worse and the pathway is unsustainable.”
  • The seven-day average of new infections in Oklahoma is nearly 1,400, according to health officials, the highest rate yet during the pandemic.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     4 years ago

Over 100,000 new COVID cases yesterday and more than likely it will be the same again today.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @3    4 years ago
Over 100,000 new COVID cases yesterday and more than likely it will be the same again today.

Its becoming obvious that cases nationwide are surging... and despite the fact that its growing much more rapidly than many people realize--- some people are still downplaying the severity of the pandemic.  Some saying masks aren't effective! And and a few of the real nutcases are even still claiming that the Pandemic is actually "A hoax"!  jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @3.1    4 years ago
Some saying masks aren't effective! And and a few of the real nutcases are even still claiming that the Pandemic is actually "A hoax"! 

So who is saying that it is a hoax? Just who is saying shit like that? I took all the precautions and still go it. Masks give little if any protection.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    4 years ago
Masks give little if any protection.

Thank you for your comment :-)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago
  • Hospitalizations hit new highs Wednesday in North Dakota and Idaho, two states which had for the most part avoided the spring and summer surges.
  • In Minnesota, Jan Malcolm, commissioner of the Minnesota Department of Health, called the rapid rise in cases alarming. “We are seeing record numbers of new cases every few days. And it’s because we’re falling behind the rapid spread of this virus,” she said.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    4 years ago

Another relative passed in his sleep yesterday.  He had beaten colon cancer but it spread to his lungs and stomach and the doctors were not worried. They said he'd be fine in  a few months.

He smoked like a chimney for 50 years until this past year with the colon.

Stopped cold turkey. 

Went to the ER twice last week for coughing and breathlessness.

The coroner is doing a covid test but will not likely list it as the cause of death even if it is positive.

As of Oct. 19, the state’s official tally includes anyone who dies from natural causes within 30 days of testing positive for the respiratory disease. As long as there is a recent positive result, the person’s death certificate is not required to specifically list a COVID-19-related term as an underlying cause of death.

So as I'm talking to another relative about that, I see my bride pull into the driveway.

She went to a wedding shower on Saturday,

all rules followed but someone in attendance came up sick yesterday and tested positive today

so we are back to quarantine, again.

CMTSU

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

Sorry to hear of his passing, SP.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Kavika @5.1    4 years ago

Thank you my friend

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Split Personality @5.1.1    4 years ago

Fingers crossed on the quarantine turning out negative.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago
so we are back to quarantine, again.

That is sad... :-(

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @5.2    4 years ago

We were best friends for years before it came to cohabitation and I work from home anyway.

So except for two old people yelling

" I cant hear you over the ( TV, fan, PC noise, Ultraviolet Hepa thingy )"

or

" Honey , I'm on the phone"

all day

we get along great.

jrSmiley_16_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @5.2.1    4 years ago

We are actually very cute old couple...

Trout Giggles