╌>

Britney Spears loses bid to remove father from conservatorship, refuses to perform

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  6 comments

By:   Reuters By Variety

Britney Spears loses bid to remove father from conservatorship, refuses to perform
Britney Spears's bid to remove her father from the conservatorship, "Free Britney," suffered a setback when the Los Angeles court declined her application.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

LOS ANGELES — Pop star Britney Spears's bid to remove her father, James Spears, from the conservatorship of her estate has suffered a temporary setback with a Los Angeles court declining the application.

James Spears has been her co-conservator since 2008, when the singer suffered a very public breakdown. He became sole conservator in 2019 after attorney Andrew Wallet resigned from his co-conservatorship.

In a hearing on Tuesday, Los Angeles superior court judge Brenda Penny declined to suspend James Spears from his conservatorship, though she did not rule out future petitions for his removal or suspension.

"My client has informed me that she is afraid of her father," Britney Spears' attorney Samuel D. Ingham III told the judge. "She will not perform again if her father is in charge of her career."

Meanwhile, financial company Bessemer Trust has been appointed as a co-conservator.

James Spears' attorney Vivian Thoreen argued that under her client's conservatorship, Britney Spears' net worth has come out of debt to reach $60 million.

The move takes place amid the ongoing #FreeBritney campaign, which claims that the singer is being controlled by James against her will. The most recent development, last month, allows Britney to expand her legal team.

He took on the role in the wake of Britney's very public mental breakdown in 2007. More recently, acting conservator Jodi Montgomery stepped in to assist Spears. James has since criticized the #FreeBritney movement, likening its supporters to conspiracy theorists.

The singer reportedly requested that he be removed from the role earlier this year, but his conservator was subsequently extended until February 2021.

In September, the singer's father also withdrew his attempt to rehire estate manager Andrew Wallet, who Spears said was "uniquely unsuited" in his first stint working for her.

Wallet worked from 2008 to 2019 in a co-conservator capacity, but Britney said she had "difficult budgetary choices going forward" and could not afford his services.

Wallet subsequently claimed that the star could be under her conservatorship for the rest of her life.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I don't know enough about Spears' current mental state to know whether she needs her father to act as her conservator.  But it seems to me that her family has been profiting from her work for decades.  Perhaps it would be wise to assign a more disinterested party to the position.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    4 years ago

Not on my radar either.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1    4 years ago

Is she the one who walked in the hair salon, grabbed electric sheers and shaved her head right there and then?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2    4 years ago

Yes, years ago.  She also beat up a car with a baseball bat (I think) around the same time. And married a guy for 2 days in Vegas.

But that was over 10 years ago.  If her mental health has improved since then, she doesn't need a conservator.  I don't know if it has.

It seems to me that if she is already worth 60 million, she can retire comfortably, if she wants to.  At a certain point, to me, it looks like her father sees her as the goose who lays the golden eggs.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.2.1    4 years ago

Knowing little to nothing about her father, I am going to play devil's advocate here.  Could it be remotely possible that he does have her best interests in mind and protecting the financial futures of her and her children?  Okay, he gets paid, but he is doing a job.  I imagine handling any high profile celebrity, related to them or not, is a 24/7 endeavor.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.2.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2.2    4 years ago

He very well could be acting in her best interests.  I just think it looks fishy.  She legally can't even decide to turn down a tour or album deal.  She HAS TO perform when her father tells her to.  That disturbs me.