╌>

D.C. pro-Trump protests: Hundreds storm Capitol barricades; two nearby buildings briefly evacuated - The Washington Post

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  3 comments

By:   Teddy Amenabar (Washington Post)

D.C. pro-Trump protests: Hundreds storm Capitol barricades; two nearby buildings briefly evacuated - The Washington Post
Thousands of President Trump's supporters rallied in downtown Washington on Wednesday to falsely assert the presidential election was stolen from Trump. Follow along for live updates.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Thousands of President Trump's supporters are in Washington for rallies Wednesday to falsely assert that the presidential election was stolen from him. Many in attendance see the demonstrations as a last stand for Trump on the same day that Congress votes to certify that President-elect Joe Biden won the election.

Trump — who lost the popular and electoral college vote — continues to dispute the results, without evidence, and has encouraged his supporters to attend the rallies in the nation's capital. He took the stage about noon to roaring crowds, claiming he had won the election.

The crowd was packed between the Washington Monument and the Ellipse to the point where few people could stand without touching someone else. D.C. Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D) has asked residents to stay away.

The latest developments

• Hundreds of Trump supporters stormed through metal barricades at the back of the Capitol building about 1 p.m. Wednesday, running past security guards and breaking fences. Some tried to reach the steps of the Capitol, but were stopped by law enforcement.
  • Capitol Police briefly ordered evacuations of two Capitol campus buildings — the Library of Congress James Madison Memorial Building and the Cannon House Office Building, both just across Independence Avenue from the Capitol. Rep. Elaine Luria (D-Va.), whose office is in the Cannon building, tweeted "I just had to evacuate my office because of a pipe bomb reported outside."
  • D.C. police said they made 10 arrests Tuesday afternoon into early Wednesday at pro-Trump demonstrations, while Park Police made one arrest. Charges included weapons violations and assault.
  • Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump called on members of Congress to reject electoral votes Wednesday that would cement their father's loss. "This isn't their Republican Party anymore," Trump Jr. said of GOP lawmakers who oppose rejecting the votes. "This is Donald Trump's Republican Party." Their father then took the stage to claim he won the election.

6:58 p.m. Link copiedlink

Hundreds storm Capitol barricades as Congress meets; two nearby buildings briefly evacuated

By Rebecca Tan Supporters of President Trump crossed barricades and began marching toward the back of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. (The Washington Post)

As protesters marched from the Ellipse to the Capitol, several hundred came up against the metal barricades surrounding the back of the building.

Just before 1 p.m., a group of primarily White men pushed, then toppled the barricades, storming through them to the grassy fields leading to the Capitol.

Several Capitol police stood guard but could not hold back the tide. Hundreds scaled and kicked aside the barricades, yelling "forward!!" as they ran upward.

Some tried to reach the steps of the Capitol, but were stopped by law enforcement. A few who made it through and scaled metal construction structures were tackled by police.

After a few minutes of the crowds yelling "USA! USA!", dozens of law enforcement descended down the steps to boos.

Capitol Police briefly ordered the evacuations of two Capitol campus buildings — the Library of Congress James Madison Memorial Building and the Cannon House Office Building, both just across Independence Avenue from the Capitol.

Rep. Elaine Luria (D-Va.), whose office is in the Cannon building, tweeted "I just had to evacuate my office because of a pipe bomb reported outside." The all-clear was given about 1:50 p.m.

Inside the Capitol, Congress is meeting to count electoral college votes for President-elect Joe Biden. Outside the building, law enforcement stood on steps above a growing crowd of protesters. Members of the Proud Boys, a male-chauvinist organization with ties to white nationalism, wove through the crowd, trying to incite yells and chants.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

ANTIFA? My Ass! There are whites rioting in DC...

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago
"I really don't hope for a civil war," Wyatt said. "But there are people who won't be pushed around, Americans aren't those kind of people."

Most Americans are smarter than this dimwit.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

Are things getting back to normal? It's nearly 2 PM here so I'm assuming this happened about an hour ago?