╌>

Amazon suspends hosting Parler on its servers over violent content

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  3 years ago  •  63 comments

By:   Ahiza Garcia-Hodges and Dennis Romero

Amazon suspends hosting Parler on its servers over violent content
Parler could go dark after Amazon suspends server hosting for the conservative-oriented site. The move follows suspension from Google's and Apple's app stores.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Amazon will suspend social media site Parler from its server hosting service on Sunday over violent content that has also prompted Google Play and Apple to remove the platform from its app stores.

Parler, the "Twitter for conservatives," was used by supporters of President Donald Trump to express hatred and threaten violence that culminated in Wednesday's riots at the U.S. Capitol, the tech giants said.

"Recently, we've seen a steady increase in this violent content on your website, all of which violates our terms," Amazon Web Services trust and safety team said in a letter to Parler obtained by NBC News.

"It's clear that Parler does not have an effective process to comply with the AWS terms of service."

nn_jke_trump_twitter_ban_210109_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg

President Trump permanently banned from Twitter

Parler CEO John Matze, writing on his platform, called the decision by Amazon an "attempt to completely remove free speech off the internet."

"There is the possibility Parler will be unavailable on the internet for up to a week as we rebuild from scratch," he wrote.

Matze accused the Silicon Valley tech giants of a "coordinated effort knowing our options would be limited and knowing this would inflict the most damage right as President Trump was banned from the tech companies."

Trump's son, Donald Trump, Jr., described the situation in a tweet as a "purge of conservative ideas and thought leaders."

Twitter permanently suspended the president on Friday, citing "the risk of further incitement of violence." The next day, Apple's App Store joined Google Play in suspending Parler until it adopts stricter content moderation.

"We have always supported diverse points of view being represented on the App Store, but there is no place on our platform for threats of violence and illegal activity," Apple said in a statement Saturday.

In a letter to Parler, Apple's app review board said, "We have continued to find direct threats of violence and calls to incite lawless action" on the social media platform.

Amazon's letter to Parler contained screenshots of some of the content it said violated its terms for hosting. One Parler user posted that he would give liberals "a damn bullet to your damn head."

Another said, "We need to systematically start assassinating #liberal leaders."

Amazon declined to comment.

Parler, founded in 2018, found traction in a social media world where Facebook and Twitter moderate content more rigorously. Parler does not have a formal set of moderation policies.

Twitter on Friday banned several accounts, including permanently suspending of Trump's personal account for violating its terms about inciting violence.

Facebook indefinitely banned Trump on its main app and on Instagram for violating its policies.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2  igknorantzrulz    3 years ago

About time ! The Divider in Chief has spread so many LIES, Division, and hate, it's unbelievable it took this catastrophe to finally silence him. Good luck at Parler, sounds like a blast !

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1  SteevieGee  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2    3 years ago

This hurts Trump more than impeachment.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1    3 years ago

damn straight. The mental midget was physically addicted, look out for the withdrawal reflex.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2  Gordy327  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2    3 years ago
it's unbelievable it took this catastrophe to finally silence him.

Ah, peace and quiet at last, Lol

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.2.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Gordy327 @2.2    3 years ago

How someone could actually follow that fcktard is beyond my comprehension skilless level, cause to follow one not to tight , in the up right side the head ( sleep tight, for me, sleep tight for me, I'm gone....   

Shadow face

blowing smoke and talking wind

Lost my grip   fell too far   to start again     start again

"""""""""" and i hope it's a sweet ride     sweet ride

sleep tight for me   sleep tight for me     i'm gone

cause i feel i'm going  feel i'm slowing    downnnnnnnnnn

sorry, as i was writing not to tight, one of my favorite Chris Cornell written and sung, Soundgarden Songs came on my mix. The song is Tighter and Tighter, by Soundgarden, and after reading partial lyrics, i'd say rather apropo for the Trumptard   Lost his grip, and fell too far to start again , start again, sleep tight for US sleep tight for US , You're GONE  

adios mutha fker

Gordy327
Professor Expert
2.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.2.1    3 years ago

Only sycophants and the extremely ignorant and/or gullible will continue to do so.

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago

I am torn on this. All it will do is make these people in the shadows.

For what we do see, there is already a large faction that is using encrypted apps to most likely say a lot worse.

Imo it will make what they are planning and doing, saying a lot harder to track.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @3    3 years ago
All it will do is make these people in the shadows.

Right where they belong.

Imo it will make what they are planning and doing, saying a lot harder to track.

Or it might just make themselves their own echo chamber, but nothing else of substance.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Suz @3.1.1    3 years ago

How so, Suz?  Liberals, conservatives, and independents are all welcome to comment here.  Nobody's comments are being deleted just because they belong to the "wrong" political party, or follow a certain ideology.  That's pretty much the opposite of an echo chamber.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Suz @3.1.1    3 years ago
Echo chamber? 

Did I stutter?

What do you think you people do here? 

People discuss various things across (but not limited to) a broad range of the sociopolitical spectrum.

The exact same thing. 

Some discussions might seem that way at times.

I have heard nothing but the same spiel coming out of your mouths so stop with the excuses you use.  You sound like scratched records.

If that's what you think, then why are you here? Because whining and complaining sounds even worse!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Suz @3.1.1    3 years ago
Echo chamber? What do you think you people do here?

Nothing compared to the private groups which have blocked me, I assure you.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.8  Krishna  replied to  Suz @3.1.1    3 years ago

Echo chamber?  What do you think you people do here?   The exact same thing.  I have heard nothing but the same spiel coming out of your mouths so stop with the excuses you use

Suz, have you ever wondered about that?

Why the Liberals and Progressives here keep doing that all the time. But the Conservatives never do!

Why do you think that is? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.9  Krishna  replied to  Suz @3.1.1    3 years ago
I have heard nothing but the same spiel coming out of your mouths so stop with the excuses you use.  You sound like scratched records.

Well-- at least they don't sound like a broken record! 

( Scratched records aren't all that bad...much better than broken ones! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif )

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Suz @3.1.7    3 years ago
I have heard nothing but the same spiel coming out of your mouths so stop with the excuses you use. 

you've heard my spiel come out of others....i'd like to see that. When the insane asylum needs asylum, i go to music. LOUD, VERY LOUD HEAVY ROCK MUSIC. I'VE FOUND IT DOES A BODY AND MIND SWELL, FOR MY NEIGHBORS , hell

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Suz @3.1.6    3 years ago

Try entering this group....who knows, you may be one of the 41 members, I am not.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.12  pat wilson  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.11    3 years ago

If you're referring to the "We the People" group you only have to comment on one of the group's articles and you become a member.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.13  Split Personality  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.12    3 years ago

Try

"The undeniable truth"  group, 41 members

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ender @3    3 years ago
All it will do is make these people in the shadows.

Perfect, the smaller their voice the better.

For what we do see, there is already a large faction that is using encrypted apps to most likely say a lot worse.

Your average person isn't even aware of those places and won't try to find them.

I hope the FBI and NSA are as good as we think they are, this is a big part of their job these days. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3  Krishna  replied to  Ender @3    3 years ago
I am torn on this. All it will do is make these people in the shadows.

I wonder if you think Federal Law enforcement agencies are as incompetent in this regard as you think?

That they can only see what's posted ona public forum-- but if its private they have no way of getting in.

And do you really believe that they can't pretend to be sympathizers and then be accepted into "private" groups? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4  Gordy327    3 years ago
Amazon will suspend social media site Parler from its server hosting service on Sunday over violent content that has also prompted Google Play and Apple to remove the platform from its app stores.

Let's see how soon it is before certain individuals start claiming censorship.

Parler CEO John Matze, writing on his platform, called the decision by Amazon an "attempt to completely remove free speech off the internet."

It seems Mr. Matze fails to understand that while people are free to say whatever they want, that does not mean they are guaranteed a platform for what they say. Those who often claim censorship do not seem to understand that.

"There is the possibility Parler will be unavailable on the internet for up to a week as we rebuild from scratch," he wrote.

Only a week? Well, at least there's one less BS on the web for at least a week.

Trump's son, Donald Trump, Jr., described the situation in a tweet as a "purge of conservative ideas and thought leaders."

Or maybe people don't want to put up with others BS! And there's no reason BS should be given a platform, much less tolerated.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @4    3 years ago

FOX is already claiming that democrats are getting ready to abolish the constitution because of it.

Veronica
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Veronica  replied to  Suz @4.1.1    3 years ago

What democrats?  Can you give a list of the Democrats that say they want to abolish the Constitution?  

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Veronica @4.1.2    3 years ago

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  devangelical @4.1    3 years ago

We've heard similar claims like that from conservative sites so often, it's lost all meaning. And credibility 

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Suz @4.1.1    3 years ago
Maybe not all but the last thing anyone wants is to be censored.

So can we assume, therefore, that NT has no right to have the COC? That that is censorship of free speech-- and that to avoid censoring us, anyone here should be able to say anything they want?

(Or should certain things like nasty personal attacks, etc, be allowed here...and not censored

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.6  devangelical  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.4    3 years ago

they could probably have another host in an hour if they didn't need to bury all the dark money investor names under multiple layers of LLC's.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.1.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Krishna @4.1.5    3 years ago
Or should certain things like nasty personal attacks, etc, be allowed here...and not censored

In my perfect world , ALL would be welcome, but would not be fun forothers,, and i don't mind civil discourse, fact i don't mind arguing with most any, but, my social scene is packed with blue collars that i really don't care to tear, apart, thus what drove me to Newsvine then here. I can speak my piece, and disagree with many, and never have to deal with them outside of here. That doesn't sound to swell, but hell, it is what it is, and i've found even people i disagree with here to be all in all, alright peoples. Without the COC/censorship, doubt that would have been possible 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  Suz @4.1.1    3 years ago

I've heard these Democrats say these things so part of it is true.  Maybe not all but the last thing anyone wants is to be censored.

Name ONE. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

When "free speech" results in  mayhem, destruction, violence, and death, then the speaker(s) needs to shut the f up.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    3 years ago
When "free speech" results in  mayhem, destruction, violence, and death, then the speaker(s) needs to shut the f up.

But,,,but,,, stopping that is CENSORSHIP!

Which is the very last thing anyone would want!

Yes-- it ranks worse than, say, being tortured to death! 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6  MrFrost    3 years ago

People are free to say what they like, but many forget that their speech has consequences. For instance... You can walk up to a cop and tell them you are going to murder them if you want to, but expect to spend time in jail for doing so. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    3 years ago

Trump covets his twitter account more than almost anything. It's instant gratification for his ego, no matter what he says, he will get 10's of thousands of likes, which a guy with a huge ego needs for validation. Being permanently banned is as much of a blow to trump as losing the election was. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
8  Split Personality    3 years ago

Who knew The Cloud has a spine......

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9  Split Personality    3 years ago

A great friend is an Admin on MeWe? or Minds?

For two years there haven't been any emails about new members wanting to join this particular nation.

This morning there have been hundreds and hundreds blowing up the email account.

Parler refugees...

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @9    3 years ago

I knew this was coming to MeWe. I don't know how they are going to handle it. I do believe it is a private group, so I am not sure of their policies about that. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    3 years ago

I have an account there but haven't used it much, I don't know anyone that uses it so I stay away.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
9.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  Suz @9.1.2    3 years ago

A social media site.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
9.1.4  Freefaller  replied to  Suz @9.1.2    3 years ago

It's a social media platform, you can read more here

Kavika
Professor Principal
10  Kavika     3 years ago

Excellent.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Lol.

Making an app is easy, but building the infrastructure to support it? That is something else entirely. If you want an app to have immediate access to millions of people there are only a few companies that have the infrastructure to make it happen.  The app is the cheap part, all the physical hardware required to support it is something else entirely, and EXPENSIVE and not easy to set up. Not to mention it is hard to get your name out there if you have made the major search engines hate you (and good luck starting your own). 

Krishna
Professor Expert
11.1  Krishna  replied to  Thrawn 31 @11    3 years ago

Actually I wonder how much the organizers, and the techies who run it, want to work for free?

I would assume they would want to be paid if they put in the work.

So ... where does the money to pay them come from?

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
11.1.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Krishna @11.1    3 years ago

Hence why it will fail immediately. They will not be able to find anyone top put up the money for it. If you want me to invest ANYTHING into your project, first off show me how it will generate a profit for me. 

Parler has.... what in regards to the required infrastructure, vision, or literally any fucking way for me to make a profit?