╌>

WLS-AM (890) owner orders stations to stop alleging 'stolen election' - Chicago Sun-Times

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  24 comments

By:   Chicago Sun-Times

WLS-AM (890) owner orders stations to stop alleging 'stolen election' - Chicago Sun-Times
Cumulus Media, which syndicates prominent Trump supports Ben Shapiro and Mark Levin, says its personalities need to tone things down or face firing.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Cumulus Media, which syndicates prominent Trump supports Ben Shapiro and Mark Levin, says its personalities need to tone things down or face firing.

By Associated Press Jan 11, 2021, 4:32pm CST GettyImages_824671398.0.jpg

WLS-AM (890) host Ben Shapiro, a prominent Donald Trump supporter, is among the syndicated radio personalities working for Westwood One, owned by Cumulus Media.Joshua Blanchard/Getty Images

======================================================================================

NEW YORK — The owner of Chicago's WLS-AM (890) and syndicator of talk radio hosts across the country, including outspoken Donald Trump supporters Mark Levin and Ben Shapiro, says its personalities need to tone things down or face firing.

Cumulus Media content chief Brian Philips sent an email to managers Wednesday, the day of the U.S. Capitol riot, saying the company had to help induce calm.

"There will be no dog whistles about 'stolen elections,' 'civil wars' or any other language that infers violent public disobedience is warranted, ever," said the memo, first reported by Inside Music Media.

The memo said Cumulus would not tolerate any suggestion by its on-air personalities that the presidential election is not over.

"Please inform your staffs that we have ZERO TOLERANCE for any suggestion otherwise," Philips said in the memo.

The company did not immediately respond to an AP request for comment Monday.

Cumulus owns 416 radio stations in 86 markets across the country, along with the syndication arm Westwood One, which distributes Levin and Shapiro's shows. WLS midday star Rush Limbaugh is allied with a different syndication company, Premiere Networks.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

Although the headline mentions Chicago, that is just because the seed was taken from the Chicago Sun times web site.  The warning given by Cumulus Media applies to all their talk radio stations nationwide. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

"Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro said Wednesday it was “deeply irresponsible” for President Donald Trump to falsely and prematurely claim a re-election victory."

The horror! How dare he say such things on the airwaves!

This is the left wing media in action, lying about someone who has been consistently stating since Trump lost since the day of the election. But he's popular, so he had to be dirtied up.

I don't listen to his radio show, podcast or otherwise pay attention to his work on anything approaching a regular basis and immediately knew it was bullshit. Either the media can't be bothered to do two seconds of research, or they sincerely don't care about the accuracy of what they report. 

Ironic. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    3 years ago
including outspoken Donald Trump supporters Mark Levin and Ben Shapiro

One thing about Ben Shapiro that is actually pretty well known: He is not, and never has been, a supporter of Donald Trump. That’s a pretty profound and fundamental failure by the author of this article.

See at time: 1:52

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 years ago
Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro revealed Monday that he plans to vote for President Trump in the upcoming election  after declining to support his 2016 presidential bid.

Since you seem to know so much about Shapiro, tell us, did he advise Trump to stop trying to prove the election was rigged because he had no evidence?  Or did he continue to blame the "left" for all that is wrong? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4    3 years ago
One thing about Ben Shapiro that is actually pretty well known: He is not, and never has been, a supporter of Donald Trump.

Unfortunately for your argument, here is a fairly long video where Shapiro supports Donald Trump. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2.1  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @4.2    3 years ago

See, I can look at Shapiro's words and see someone who doesn't actually support Trump. I suppose he supports him more than he did four years ago, but that's only on his willingness to implement conservative policies.

It's clear to me that given a choice between Trump and literally any other Republican option, Shapiro would take the option. There are probably even some Democrats he could vote for, but his assessment of the party in general (specifically at this time) was not flattering.

Before you express your objection, I already know you will not entertain this attempt at nuance. You have already made clear that you will accept no such approach. That's fine. I'm not writing it for you alone. Others read this, too.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @4.2.1    3 years ago
See, I can look at Shapiro's words and see someone who doesn't actually support Trump. I suppose he supports him more than he did four years ago, but that's only on his willingness to implement conservative policies.

I dont really care what his reason is for supporting Trump, he supported him . You said he has never supported him. He made an 8 minute video explaining why he was supporting him for re-election. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5  Gordy327    3 years ago

At this point, anyone who claims the "election was stolen,"  was fraudulent, or that Trump actually won, is just flat out lying (and/or delusional) and has no credibility. 

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
5.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Gordy327 @5    3 years ago

... and any media that propagates such misinformation is committing sedition.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  Bob Nelson @5.1    3 years ago

I wouldn't say it's committing sedition. It might be feeding seditious attitudes. It's certainly a lie either way.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Get the pink slips ready Mr C. because those two Trumptards will never stop saying the election was stolen.