╌>

The Vessel in New York City closed after third suicide at tourist attraction

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  3 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   David K. Li

The Vessel in New York City closed after third suicide at tourist attraction
'The Vessel' in New York closed after a disturbing number of suicides

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Operators of a towering New York City tourist attraction closed the structure until further notice this week following following multiple suicides at the site .

210113-vessel-new-york-mn-1640_6c852b7f63208a5ea26a51930057de5a.fit-760w.jpg

The Vessel at Hudson Yards in New York City.STRF/STAR MAX/IPx

The Vessel in Hudson Yards on the far west side of Manhattan has been the scene of three deaths by suicide since it opened last year, the most recent occurring on Monday, the New York Times reported.

And now operators of the 150-foot set of spiraling staircases will close it while they consult with suicide-prevention experts, NBC New York reported on Wednesday.

As of Wednesday night, the structure is listed as "currently closed" on its website.

If you or someone you know is at risk of suicide please call the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 800-273-8255, text TALK to 741741 or visit SpeakingOfSuicide.com/resources for additional resources.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)    3 years ago

So, people were going up there for the sole purpose of jumping off? That's just nuts! You'd think that it would be just as easy to jump from somewhere else in NY. One has to ask, "Why this attraction"?

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @1    3 years ago

Really. It's not like there aren't plenty of buildings to choose from.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka) @1    3 years ago
So, people were going up there for the sole purpose of jumping off?

Perhaps they've convinced themselves the world is an iPhone app game and they thought they could get bonus points if they landed in those white rectangles on the ground...

MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)
Junior Guide
1.2.1  MsAubrey (aka Ahyoka)  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.2    3 years ago

With how disconnected from reality some are, it wouldn't really surprise me.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I had never heard of this place before this article. It looks remarkably dangerous.

1024px-The_Vessel%2C_Hudson_Yards%2C_New_York_City%2C_June_2019.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vessel_(structure)#/media/File:The_Vessel,_Hudson_Yards,_New_York_City,_June_2019.jpg

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2    3 years ago

It reminds me of a honeycomb in a beehive.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I believe people are attracted to jump from high open places, particularly buildings (as opposed to say ,mountains).  Then once a bunch of people kill themselves there the place will gain an aura of evil or possession. 

I wouldnt want to be the owner today. This place could become a white elephant. It's not like it could be repurposed into something else. 

1024px-Vessel_top_vc.png

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I once worked in a building that housed the Shubert Theater in downtown Chicago. One day arriving at work I saw the traffic on the block stopped and a vinyl tarp on the street and cops standing around. 

There was a lawyer's office on the 19th floor. Seems a guy had gotten some bad legal or financial news from his lawyer and had walked out into the hallway outside the office, opened a window on the street side, and jumped.  It was an older building and all the windows could be easily opened. 

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
6  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

Just install nets, like in the Chinese Foxconn City industrial park.

Ender
Professor Principal
7  Ender    3 years ago

I will have to ask my brother about this. I don't remember hearing about it.

Different looking.