╌>

Mike Pence Will Be No-Show At Trump's Send Off—And Attend Biden Inauguration Instead

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tig  •  3 years ago  •  21 comments

By:   Nicholas Reimann (Forbes)

Mike Pence Will Be No-Show At Trump's Send Off—And Attend Biden Inauguration Instead
As the invasion was taking place, Trump tweeted that Pence was a coward for refusing to take part in efforts to overturn Biden's win, leaving Pence reportedly furious with Trump.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Topline

Vice President Mike Pence is not expected to attend President Donald Trump's send off from Washington Wednesday morning, according to multiple reports, instead opting to focus on the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden, as the rift between the top two U.S. officials appears to deepen.

Key Facts

Trump is planning to leave the White House early Tuesday morning before his send off at Joint Base Andrews, where he will board Air Force One for his final time as president and depart at 8 a.m. for his post-presidential home at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida.

Pence won't attend that send off because of logistical conflicts around his plan to attend President-elect Joe Biden's inauguration, according to reports.

Biden will officially become the 46th president at noon Eastern time, though performances and other events surrounding the inauguration will start earlier.

The top Republicans in Congress, Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), are also not expected to attend Trump's send off, according toThe Hill.

Surprising Fact

Trump's send off as president is expected to be a small, intimate event—far from the large military goodbye he was hoping for. In what's believed to be an attempt to boost turnout, Trump has reportedly cast a wide net for invitations, including former administration officials that have become outspoken critics since leaving the White House, like Anthony Scaramucci and John Bolton.

Key Background

After years of being a loyal Trump backer, Pence suffered a falling out with the president as his supporters stormed the Capitol on Jan. 6. The mob at times chanted calls to execute Pence, after Trump had publicly pressed the vice president to refuse to certify the results of the election (something he legally could not do). Pence escaped from the Senate chamber just a minute before the mob might have spotted him. As the invasion was taking place, Trump tweeted that Pence was a coward for refusing to take part in efforts to overturn Biden's win, leaving Pence reportedly furious with Trump. Pence would later resist calls to invoke the 25th Amendment in order to remove Trump from power.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1  seeder  TᵢG    3 years ago

I am pleased to see this.   Pence showing up for the inauguration further identifies Trump as the asshole he is.

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1  Ender  replied to  TᵢG @1    3 years ago

Me too. I don't like him or his policy but at least he has some respect for the office.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  TᵢG @1    3 years ago

I wouldn't be there either, not when Trump sent a mob chanting "Hang Mike Pence" after me. Fuck that guy.

I mean fuck Mike Pence too, but definitely less than Trump. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

Take that, Trump....

I don't agree with much that Pence has ever done or stands for but it seems that he does understand the Trump lost and lied and has respect for the office of the President.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    3 years ago

I hope he gets a standing ovation, a long one.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4  seeder  TᵢG    3 years ago

Pence was (to his own discredit) Trump's key sycophant for four years.   That must have been tough for him to do because it seems to me he was not in lockstep with the way Trump operated.  But he sucked it up and carried Trump's water.

For Trump to piss all over Pence in the end is quintessential Trump.   He exploits and then trashes people — a perfect malignant narcissist.   Pissing on Pence (and others like Giuliani) perfectly punctuates the Trump presidency.

Even though I suspect Pence stiffed Trump over Biden partly as a counter-punch, I think Pence does believe that attending the inauguration is the right thing to do and thus I credit him for his decision.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @4    3 years ago

pence had plenty of chances to redeem himself to america, and he failed repeatedly, consistently.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  devangelical @4.1    3 years ago

You give him no credit for attending the inauguration?

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    3 years ago

sure, but he definitely missed the salvation train to future political office.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1.3  pat wilson  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.1    3 years ago

He's doing that in his own self interest. Not much else going on there.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5  devangelical    3 years ago
Pence won't attend that send off because of logistical conflicts

he'd be in a very small crowd, and trump had previously insisted upon howitzers for the 21 gun salute...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  devangelical @5    3 years ago

I would agree to the howitzers but only if I get to choose the direction that they are fired.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Trump is so desperate to get people for his party that the invitation says to bring 5 friends.  So far, few RSVP's have been returned.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    3 years ago

I guess we'll be watching Newsmax tomorrow to see how they fluff the exit.

devangelical
Professor Principal
6.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    3 years ago

... their entire production crew were encouraged to bring friends and family.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    3 years ago

It's a shame that a moment of someone doing the exact right and expected thing has to be news.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
8  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

I will say, I have been pleasantly surprised by Pence's behavior recently.  Yes, he followed along in Trump's footsteps for years, and I can't say I liked his policies as Indiana's governor before that.  But he has shown himself lately to have at least a bit of class and integrity, when it comes to the 2020 election and Trump's attempts to undermine it.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9  Ronin2    3 years ago

An Establishment tool welcoming an Establishment tool into office. 

This is news?

Pence's career in politics is over as surely as Trump's. You need look no farther than the comments from the left on this site. 

Wonder if China Joe will at least try to be gracious about Pence's presence; while delivering a speech that is sure to drive everyone even further apart. As he is surrounded by Democratic soldiers that passed their loyalty tests/oaths, and will far outnumber those in attendance. It will be an imaging befitting Beijing China, not Washington DC. Thanks Democrats, for proving to be everything you claim to hate.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.1  seeder  TᵢG  replied to  Ronin2 @9    3 years ago
This is news?

Yes, because there was a question as to whether Pence would be at the inauguration.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.2  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @9    3 years ago

If Hillary & Bill could survive Trumps inauguration ceremony, 

I have no misgivings that the Pences, Bidens and Harriss will all be sincerely gracious to each other tomorrow

as we would expect adults to do.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
10  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

This may or may not be relevant: Today the covid death toll passed four hundred thousand...