╌>

Trump appointee arrested in connection with Capitol riot - POLITICO

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  3 years ago  •  11 comments

By:   POLITICO

Trump appointee arrested in connection with Capitol riot - POLITICO
Federico Klein, a former State Department aide, was picked up Thursday on charges stemming from the Jan. 6 takeover of Congress.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Insurrection Fallout

Trump appointee arrested in connection with Capitol riot

Federico Klein, a former State Department aide, was picked up Thursday on charges stemming from the Jan. 6 takeover of Congress.

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F50%2F3d%2F6410a3cf4f089ee59f0a7ef03535%2Fap21046724101949-2.jpg

Rioters try to break through a police barrier at the Capitol in Washington, D.C. | John Minchillo, File/AP

The FBI on Thursday arrested Federico Klein, a former State Department aide, on charges related to the storming of the Capitol on Jan. 6, marking the first known instance of an appointee of President Donald Trump facing criminal prosecution in connection with the attempt to block Congress from certifying President Joe Biden's victory.

Klein, 42, was taken into custody in Virginia, said Samantha Shero, a spokesperson for the FBI's Washington Field Office.

An FBI lookout bulletin issued two weeks after the Capitol assault included a photo of Klein, prompting two tipsters to contact the FBI and finger him as the man in that picture, according to an affidavit filed in federal court in Washington.

The affidavit says video from police body-worn cameras on Jan. 6 shows Klein jamming a riot shield into doors at the Capitol as police were trying to secure them to keep the mob out. Klein was also heard on video trying to encourage others to clash with the police, the complaint says.

"We need fresh people, we need fresh people," Klein shouted repeatedly, according to the complaint. In much of the video, he is wearing the Trump campaign's trademark "Make America Great Again" red hat.

Klein is charged with several felonies, including assault on police officers, interfering with police during civil disorder and obstruction of an official proceeding, as well as lesser offenses.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    3 years ago

During a brief first court appearance Friday afternoon, Klein complained about the conditions where he was held overnight at the central cell block at Metropolitan Police Headquarters in Washington.

"I'm wondering if there's a place I could stay in detention where I don't have cockroaches crawling over me while I'm trying to sleep," Klein told U.S. Magistrate Judge Zia Faruqui. "I haven't really slept all that much, your Honor. It would be nice if between now and Tuesday I could sleep in a place where there are not cockroaches all over."

Faruqui said he'd address any complaints Klein had about the conditions, but that he would likely be moved to another location later Friday.

No plea was entered Friday, but the magistrate detailed the charges Faruqui faces and noted that those of assaulting a police officer and obstructing Congress carry potential maximum sentences of 20 years in prison.

The judge said Klein indicated he wanted to hire an attorney, but the defendant said he hasn't made much progress on that front. "It's really impossible to do anything from my cell at this point," he said.

Prosecutors asked that Klein be detained pending trial. Faruqui set a bail hearing for Tuesday afternoon, saying he wanted to move briskly on the issue but also give Klein enough time to find a lawyer.

"I don't want you to just be on hold, in purgatory, while you sort out your counsel," the judge said.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    3 years ago

Huh, I thought roaches liked hanging out together. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.1    3 years ago
In much of the video, Klein is wearing the Trump campaign's trademark "Make America Great Again" red hat. He is charged with several felonies, including assault on police officers, interfering with police during civil disorder and obstruction of an official proceeding, as well as lesser offenses.

I'm going to enjoy watching these domestic terrorists rack up some federal time.

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Kavika   replied to  devangelical @1.1.1    3 years ago

If convicted of a federal crime he will have to serve a minimum of 85% of his sentence before being eligible for release.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @1.1.2    3 years ago

what a bummer, bwah ha ha ha ...

zuksam
Junior Silent
2  zuksam    3 years ago

Throw his ass in Jail for a decade or so ! 

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    3 years ago

Now we need to know what Trump knew about the insurrection January 6th and when did he know it? 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @3    3 years ago

he heard about it and tried to micro manage it. then he fucked up the logistics, like he does everything else.

JBB
Professor Principal
4  JBB    3 years ago

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
4.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  JBB @4    3 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JBB @4    3 years ago

is that a Tony Montana Cock a roach...?