╌>

World leaders brace for historic Trump Facebook ban decision

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  4 comments

By:   Axios Sara Fischer, Jonathan Swan

World leaders brace for historic Trump Facebook ban decision
The decision will set a historic precedent for how the tech giant treats accounts of world leaders, and could be a litmus test for the board’s power.

Covid helped to clean the air we breath ... Trump's twitter feed helped to keep it dirty.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The upcoming decision from Facebook’s  independent Oversight Board  on whether to uphold or reverse Facebook’s indefinite suspension of former President Trump’s profiles has policymakers on edge.

Why it matters:  The decision will set a historic precedent for how the tech giant treats accounts of world leaders, and could be a litmus test for the board’s power.

Facebook helped establish the Oversight Board with  $130 million in funding  in 2019 to review user appeals of Facebook's content moderation choices.

Its independence has been questioned by Facebook critics, but its first few case decisions this year suggest the board  isn't afraid to disagree with Facebook , and it tends to err on the side of free speech.

Trump was the only case in which Facebook has indefinitely suspended a sitting head of state, but the company has begun taking action on other world leaders' accounts. It  froze  Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro’s page for 30 days in March for violating Facebook's policies against spreading COVID-19 misinformation.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

Trump's twitter nonsense is akin to a dust storm coming in from the East and a rain storm coming in from the West combining into a mud storm. Pigs and his fans love it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

I've never seen trmp's face book page and I didn't realize he actually did a lot with it.

I am glad he will never be on Twitter again

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3  Snuffy    3 years ago

I'm not on twitter myself and I've never been to his facebook page. So if he's restored or not won't be a huge impact to me.

But I think it's wrong to ban him when they leave so many other world leaders who in my opinion are worse still active. Put a warning on anything he posts basically sayiing 'these are words from Donald J. Trump and  you know what you get' and leave it at that. But I think the banning was wrong.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I predict that they will reinstate Trump and try in some way to restrict what he is allowed to say.