╌>

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says White Supremacy Has Become 'a Very Important Base' for GOP

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  33 comments

By:   Katherine Fung (MSN)

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Says White Supremacy Has Become 'a Very Important Base' for GOP
"I don't think we've really internalized how much of that has been created through the subjugation of other people," Ocasio-Cortez said.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

© Alex Wong/Getty U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) speaks during a news conference to introduce the "Puerto Rico Self-Determination Act of 2021" at Rayburn House Office Building on Capitol Hill March 18, 2021 in Washington, DC. Reflecting on the Capitol riot, the congresswoman said white supremacy has become a "very important base" for the GOP.

Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez says the January 6 Capitol riot revealed that that white supremacy has become "a very important base" for the GOP.

"[The pro-Trump protesters] were looking for us, and we were not protected," Ocasio-Cortez told Latino USA's Maria Hinojosa. "White supremacy in and of itself is a mythology, and you have to protect it in order to protect that political power, which has now become a very important base in the Republican Party."

She said the attack's aftermath "has deeply, deeply affected lawmaking, policymaking" in Congress as some members have been forced to come to terms with the threats made against them.

A probe conducted by U.S. Capitol Police found that threats made against members of the most racially diverse Congress in history have more than doubled this year.

"There's this one myth that it's all happened because we're smarter and perform better," Ocasio-Cortez said. "I don't think we've really internalized how much of that has been created through the subjugation of other people."

The congresswoman also recalled how close rioters got to then-Vice President Mike Pence after then-President Donald Trump told his supporters that Pence "didn't have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution."

"Pence was taken out of the Senate chamber something like 60 seconds before these terrorists, insurrectionists got into the Senate chamber," Ocasio-Cortez said.

"Pence was the one person, arguably, that had one of the most important roles in making sure that procedurally the Electoral College counts went on as proceeded," she added. "Sixty seconds could have meant potentially the difference between what we have right now and a martial state. This was an all-out attempted coup."

She said had those 60 seconds gone differently, Pence's safety could have been compromised as rioters tried to locate him and demand that he overturn the results of the election.

"We don't want to acknowledge that that's how close we got, but that is how close we got," the Democrat said.

On Wednesday, a divided House voted to create an independent commission to investigate the Capitol riot after every Democrats and 35 Republicans voted pass the legislation.

The vote came hours after Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell declared his opposition to the plan and pressured his Republican colleagues to fall in line.

Just a day earlier, McConnell had said he would be open to voting for the commission, He had also previously been vocal in denouncing Trump's role in the Capitol riot as well as the efforts made to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

The dumb just spills out of her mouth every times it gapes open.

Shut the hell up, you dumbass!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

What did she say that is incorrect ? 

Trump wanted the white supremacist vote so badly that he forgot who David Duke was. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    3 years ago

If you don't already know, then nothing anyone can say will make any difference.

The woman is an idiot.

Revered and adored by the progressive clownshow.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 years ago
If you don't already know, then nothing anyone can say will make any difference.

Translation:  I cannot prove you wrong, so I will just claim you are wrong and ignore what you said.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    3 years ago

Please fix your translator--it is seriously fucked up.

Or, alternatively, you could just read my posts written in plain English and decipher what each words mean instead of "interpreting" them so wrong all the time.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    3 years ago
Translation:  I cannot prove you wrong, so I will just claim you are wrong and ignore what you said.

You took the words right out of my mouth. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.4    3 years ago

I figured he got them from somewhere.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.6  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.1    3 years ago

I asked you a simple question, what did she say that was wrong?

When Trump pretended to forget who David Duke was , he was signaling that the white supremacist faction of voter was important to him. 

Instead of hemming and hawing, just tell us what Cortez said that was incorrect. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.6    3 years ago
I asked you a simple question, what did she say that was wrong?

Asked and answered already. Move on.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.8  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.7    3 years ago

Yes, your answer is that you dont know. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.9  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.8    3 years ago

I really, truly admire how you can read exactly what I don't write.

Isn't it just a waste of your time being here seeing as how you know what everyone thinks and just assign words to others whenever it suits you?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.10  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.3    3 years ago
Please fix your translator--it is seriously fucked up.

Nope, it is properly set to Russian spin talk.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.10    3 years ago

I am sure you are fluent then.

So no need for me to clarify for you what you read.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.11    3 years ago

So no need for me to clarify for you what you read.

But you keep trying, don't you?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.13  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.12    3 years ago

I try not to waste time on hopeless tasks such as that.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

The really sad part is the dummies who fall for it.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
3  Sunshine    3 years ago

Notice how she speaks to her base...very slow and like they are kindergarteners.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4  devangelical    3 years ago
Pence's safety could have been compromised as rioters tried to locate him and demand that he overturn the results of the election.

swing and a miss, bummer.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @4    3 years ago

I'm sure you were sorely disappointed more blood wasn't shed. I'm not surprised.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago
I'm sure you were sorely disappointed more blood wasn't shed.

Are you saying that tourists shed blood?  They were just taking selfies at Pelosi's desk.  Carrying the lectern around to hold their cameras.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago

they'd still be power washing the steps of the capitol and wiping it up with trump flags.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.1    3 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @4.1.2    3 years ago

Oh, yay, inanity. Gee, I missed it.

/s

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.1    3 years ago
Are you saying that tourists shed blood? 

Is that what you read?

Why are you asking me about what YOU read?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.6  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    3 years ago

Why are you asking me about what YOU read?

Because YOU wrote it.  Remember? 

I'm sure you were sorely disappointed more blood wasn't shed.

Your words, not mine.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.7  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @4.1.6    3 years ago

[Deleted]

I never mentioned tourists in my post. Maybe you should ask about what I DID write instead of making stuff up.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5  Ronin2    3 years ago
"Pence was the one person, arguably, that had one of the most important roles in making sure that procedurally the Electoral College counts went on as proceeded," she added. "Sixty seconds could have meant potentially the difference between what we have right now and a martial state. This was an all-out attempted coup."

She really is dumb as the day is long. Even if they had "gotten Pence" there are procedures already set for naming and ratifying his replacement. Or does she think a VP has never been unable to fulfill their duties before? 

As for her "all-out attempted coup" bullshit. She and the rest of the hyper ventilating left need to look at some real coups. If this was a real coup it would have involved thousands of people; not just hundreds. They would have been armed. Who the hell stages a coup with no fire arms- sure way to wind up dead. They would have taken key locations and held them. Communications cut, no. Barricades erected, no. Hostages taken, laughably no. These mighty mental midgets got easily distracted by anyone any anything- they were more interested in taking selfies, and making sure authorities could easily identify them. 

She should be force into the middle of some true rioters in Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Minneapolis, or Atlanta. If DC frightened her to that much; being present during any of those other riots would scare her to death. No great loss there.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @5    3 years ago
being present during any of those other riots would scare her to death. No great loss there.

Death wishing???

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @5.1    3 years ago

Stating facts.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
6  Thrawn 31    3 years ago

Well, white supremacists do make is some of his lost hard ore supporters and he does think nazis are very fine people...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6    3 years ago

Ah, yet more left-wing progressive "theories"!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  Krishna  replied to  Thrawn 31 @6    3 years ago
Well, white supremacists do make is some of his lost hard ore supporters and he does think nazis are very fine people...

Yup!

Former KKK leader David Duke: 'We won it for Donald Trump'
A former Ku Klux Klan leader – or 'grand wizard' – has suggested fascists had helped  Donald Trump  win the  US presidential election .

David Duke, who once led the neo-Nazi, white-supermacist organisation, tweeted the claim on election night.

“This is one of the most exciting nights of my life,” Mr Duke wrote.

“Make no mistake about it, our people have played a huge role in electing Trump!”

(LINK)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @6.2    3 years ago

Still fixating on Trump. I see.

Will it ever end, or will it consume your entire life?