By:   BY TORI B. POWELL, KATHRYN WATSON

Biden awards Medal of Honor to Korean War veteran

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

President Biden on Friday awarded the first   Medal of Honor  of his presidency to retired Colonel Ralph Puckett Jr. for his "conspicuous gallantry" in the Korean War. Mr. Biden presented the medal, which is the nation's highest military honor, in a ceremony alongside South Korean President Moon Jae-in.

Mr. Biden said the honor for Puckett is "70 years overdue." The president said he's "incredibly proud" to give Puckett the full recognition he deserves, and he retold the story of Puckett's heroism. 

In a daylight attack on an enemy hill, Puckett "intentionally ran across an open area three times to draw enemy fire," allowing the Army Rangers to locate and destroy the enemy positions and seize the hill.

"It took three runs intentionally exposing himself to the enemy to pick off the gunner," Mr. Biden noted. 

A counterattack that night left Puckett seriously wounded, with limited mobility. He ordered the Rangers to leave him and evacuate the area, but they felt "a sense of duty to aid him" and retrieved Puckett from a foxhole under enemy fire.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

President Moon of South Korea was present as well:

"President Moon, it's a real honor to have you here participating in this ceremony today," Mr. Biden said. "The strength of the alliance between the United States and the Republic of Korea was born out of the courage, determination and sacrifice of the Korean troops fighting shoulder to shoulder with American troops. And having you here today is an important recognition of all that our nation has achieved together, both of them, in the decades since."

That must've really pissed off a draft dodger like ex-President D onald "Bones Spurs" Trump, who famously praised Communist North Korea's barbaric leader instead:

Trump praises North Korean dictator's 'great and beautiful' vision for his country

President previously said he and dictator 'fell in love' when they met

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    3 years ago

This is the kind of person who should be receiving Medal of Honor. Not that shitbag Rush Limbaugh

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @3    3 years ago

Limbaugh didn't receive the MoH, he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, he didn't deserve it either.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @3.1    3 years ago

my bad. I was trying to make a point and futzed it up.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

A well deserved honor for Col. Puckett. It makes him one of the most decorated soldiers in history.

MoH, DSC, 2 Silver Stars, 2 Bronze Stars with V for valor and 5 Purple Hearts.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @4    3 years ago
A well deserved honor for Col. Puckett. It makes him one of the most decorated soldiers in history. MoH, DSC, 2 Silver Stars, 2 Bronze Stars with V for valor and 5 Purple Hearts.

I was flipping channels, then happened to hit MSNBC just at the start of the ceremony...saw the whole thing live.

Often people have accused me of being "too mental"...and "out of touch with my feelings" (And there is some truth to that-- for example I rarely cry).

But watching that ceremony and realize the amazing feats that he did...and his persistence to carry on on numerous occasions...I have to admit it brought tears to my eyes!

What a truly amazing person!!! jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 years ago
I have to admit it brought tears to my eyes!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm about to tear up just reading your comment

Kavika
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @4.1    3 years ago

There was one thing that he did when I read a story about him that no matter what else, he was someone that I could look up to. 

In Korea, he took two black Rangers into his unit saying that we all bleed red. (remember much of the army was still segregated)