╌>

Pakistan's top diplomat makes anti-Semitic remark during CNN interview about Gaza conflict

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   Bianna Golodryga and Emmet Lyons (MSN)

Pakistan's top diplomat makes anti-Semitic remark during CNN interview about Gaza conflict
In a CNN interview that was supposed to focus on the United Nations finding a solution to the violence between Israel and Hamas, Pakistan's top diplomat Shah Mahmood Qureshi instead made an anti-Semitic remark.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In a CNN interview that was supposed to focus on the United Nations finding a solution to the violence between Israel and Hamas, Pakistan's top diplomat Shah Mahmood Qureshi instead made an anti-Semitic remark.

© Provided by CNN

"The pressure of public opinion is mounting, and ceasefire is inevitable. Israel is losing out. They're losing the media war despite their connections, they are losing the media war," the Pakistani foreign minister said Thursday.

"What are their connections?" asked CNN's Bianna Golodryga.

"Deep pockets."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, they are very influential people. I mean, they control media," Qureshi responded.

"I would call that an anti-Semitic remark," Golodryga replied.

During the "Amanpour" program on Thursday, Golodryga repeatedly called out comments made on-air by the Pakistani foreign minister as anti-Semitic.

The International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA) defines a working definition of anti-Semitism as "the myth about a world Jewish conspiracy or of Jews controlling the media, economy, government or other societal institutions."

Speaking from CNN's UN office in New York, Qureshi said of Israel:

"The point is they have a lot of influence, and they get a lot of coverage. Now what has balanced that is the citizen journalist who has -- who has been reporting, sharing video clip(s) and that has jolted people and that has woken up people, and people who were sitting on the fence are today speaking up."

"Do you see how in different capitals of the world, in London and Madrid, in Michigan, Chicago, every place from Sydney to the European capitals, people have come out and (are) saying put an end to this insanity. They're calling for an immediate ceasefire. The Security Council has failed in... coming out with a joint statement and forging a consensus."

While there have been peaceful protests across the world regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, there have also been reports of a rise in anti-Semitic acts in countries such as Germany, the United States and the United Kingdom in recent days.

When pressed by Golodryga as to whether he could support calls for peace without anti-Semitic rhetoric, the Pakistani foreign minister said that he would not condone rocket attacks and "the aerial bombardment that is taking place."

"You do not engage, there are no negotiations, when there's occupation, when there's genocide, when there's war crime... ethnic cleansing, then an extremist element takes advantage of that situation. Avoid it. How do you avoid it? You avoid it by pursuing a two-state solution, by adhering to the Security Council resolutions and respecting them, implementing them, fulfilling the promises that have been made, and have been often broken."

The foreign minister denied that he had used an anti-Semitic trope.

"What I am saying is the perception. Look at the perception the world has. You cannot ignore that ... negate it. Negate it. By giving a balanced coverage, negate it."

Golodryga asked whether the foreign minister was able to be an honest diplomatic broker in the conflict and whether he would agree that Israeli and Palestinian lives are equally important. "I am objective and I would want to be objective. Loss of life, I will not condone. Every life, every human life is important to me," he replied.

Golodryga asked Qureshi "personally to please avoid using anti-Semitic tropes." Qureshi responded by saying he has "never been anti-Semitic and I never will be."

Speaking to media on Friday, a spokesperson for the Pakistani Foreign Office said that "any twist given to the Foreign Minister's remarks would unfortunately prove the very point he was making."

"The right to freedom of expression must be respected equally by everyone," the spokesperson said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

I bet the Palestinian feels good knowing he has people like the Squad backing him.

Pathetic little anti-Semitic creature.

No wonder the progressives support Hamas and Palestinians.

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
1.1  SteevieGee  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

You'll be ok as long as they don't replace you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  SteevieGee @1.1    3 years ago

inanity, again.

sigh.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

Hope I don't get another ticket for mentioning this, but I do not support  the terror organization  Hamas. And in terms of "The palestinians"...well that's quite an over- generalization. (Hard to answer-- it too general.

NOTE to moderaters-- this is not a personal attack nor intended to be one. However if I violated one of the rules please feel free to modify or delete it!

P.S: I also now re-read everything I post before I click send-- if I have in some way offendedyou or violated one of the rules please believe me-- it was unintentional!

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.2    3 years ago
Hope I don't get another ticket for mentioning this, but I do not support  the terror organization  Hamas. And in terms of "The palestinians"...well that's quite an over- generalization. (Hard to answer-- it too general.

NOTE to moderaters-- this is not a personal attack nor intended to be one. However if I violated one of the rules please feel free to modify or delete it!

P.S: I also now re-read everything I post before I click send-- if I have in some way offendedyou or violated one of the rules please believe me-- it was unintentional!

Oooops-- I forgot to mention: After re-reading my comment sever times I am pretty sure its not off topic. Sorry to bother you, but if you have time and it is off topic, would it be possible to contact me and explain why?

TIA for your kind consideration! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @1.2    3 years ago

no questions were asked.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.3  Ronin2  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

There is a difference between supporting Hamas and supporting the Palestinians.

I don't support Hamas or the PA. Both are reprehensible organizations that do nothing for the people they represent. Hamas uses the lives of the Palestinians under their rule as a political counter. The more civilian dead the better the return from the media in terms of publicity and Iran in terms of money. The PA, on the other hand, takes money from the US and Israel and quells opposition from the people under their rule to the Israeli settlement expansion and Separation Wall that is stealing their land.

I do support those Palestinians that try every day to live their lives; earn a living; and want to make a better future for their children. The ones that have watched their businesses and homes being destroyed in Gaza; and their land and livelihoods taken in the West Bank. Who if they speak out or organize against Hamas or the PA will disappear along with their family and friends.

I know it was in the 80's and 90's when I joined with Palestinian exchange students to send care packages to those living under occupation in the West Bank and Gaza, having to work past every obstruction Israel put in place. But, I can tell you there were no terrorist sympathizers. The vast majority of the US citizens that helped out were exceedingly liberal. There were only 3 conservatives in the entire organization if you included me; and my conservative credentials were strongly open for debate (still are by many for that matter). 

As for today. Those who peacefully protest and do not use ethnic or anti-Semitic slurs cannot be lumped in with those doing the assaults, rioting; and  hurling ethnic slurs.

What i can't believe is that something that is occurring in Israel and Gaza is causing so much damn strife over here. We are all supposed to be Americans first right? Once you are a citizen of this country loyalty to it comes before all other countries; and that is what unites us. Or at least that is the way it is supposed to be.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  Krishna    3 years ago

In the good old daze, there was a social media site called "Newsvine". They had different categories for seeds as well as original articles.

After a while they created a new category called "Not News".

Perhaps we need that category here on NT?

if my comment wasn't clear...let me explain: A Pakistani official making a an Anti-Semitic comment certainly is by no means "News"!

(Actually I'm wondering why anyone would even bother to take the time post it...?)

[This comment stands.  If a seeder/author wishes to declare a comment off topic, he or she must not respond to it other than to urge a return to the topic.]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2    3 years ago

no one forced you to read it and post on it, did they?

give me a sign if they did. perhaps I can help

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago
no one forced you to read it and post on it, did they?

No, someone actually did.

(But unfortunately I promised not to tell who it was :-(

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.1.1    3 years ago

aww.

tell me who and I'll take care of it!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago
tell me who and I'll take care of it!

Promise?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @2.1.3    3 years ago

sure!

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2    3 years ago
This comment stands.  If a seeder/author wishes to declare a comment off topic, he or she must not respond to it other than to urge a return to the topic.]

I have to admit that sometimes I find some these rules to be a bit complex...occasionally too difficult for me to understand. :-(

Maybe it my bad-- perhaps I spend too much time seeding things and engaging in conversations?

(And most of the time when one of my comments gets flagged I understand why...but sometimes I don/t...can't help wonderingif this site may be improved, and be easier to use if the rules were simplified...?)

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
2.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Krishna @2    3 years ago
there was a social media site called "Newsvine".

Damn I feel old lol. Got my ass suspended there a lot too so I guess some things never change.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    3 years ago
"Deep pockets."

"What does that mean?"

"Well, they are very influential people. I mean, they control media," Qureshi responded.

"I would call that an anti-Semitic remark," Golodryga replied

OK honest question here. Are those references that this Pakistani would even understand as prejudiced? Those stereotypes - to my understanding - developed in western culture.

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
3.1  Thrawn 31  replied to  Tacos! @3    3 years ago

I don’t know but I wouldnt be surprised to learn that they had spread to other cultures as well. Far as I can tell Jews are not liked in some Muslim areas for the same reason Christians and others aren’t, because they aren’t Muslim. And on top of that because they aren’t the right kind of Muslim. I don’t know if they have added anything else to justify a dislike of Jews or if that is good enough.

A good question though and one I hadn’t even considered.