╌>

Big Indigenous wins at Canadian Screen Awards

Category:  Entertainment

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Vincent Schilling, Akwesasne Mohawk

Big Indigenous wins at Canadian Screen Awards

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Michael Greyeyes has just effectively been named the best actor in Canada in 2021 after taking home a Canadian Screen Award for his role in “Blood Quantum.”

Mohawk director Tracey Deer has just received a similar honor for two awards for her film “Beans” based on the Mohawk Oka crisis. And Jeff Barnaby has received seven Canadian Screen Awards for his movie “Blood Quantum” in production and art direction, make-up, costuming, direction and editing.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

Do your stuff Netflix ... I've watched everything else ... Maybe APTN

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

I'm not a fan of the ''Zombie'' movies but it seems that this one is quite good (Blood Quantum). 

Greyeyes is excellent in ''Rutherford Falls''. I'll have to find ''Beans'' since I've followed the Oka wars with great interest. 

All and all the awards won by First Nations people is quite encouraging.

Hallux
PhD Principal
2.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

Art writing history ...

What is it? A zombie movie with a twist, Blood Quantum centers on an outbreak in which the non-Indigenous locals are turning into the undead and the Indigenous population finds itself immune.

Mi’kmaq director-writer Jeff Barnaby’s second feature is an exploration of indigeneity and the ongoing effects of colonization. The film is set in 1981, which is a reference to the Alanis Obomsawin documentary Incident at Restigouche, about the raids on Listuguj Mi’gmaq First Nation by Quebec police over salmon fishing rights, an act Barnaby witnessed as a 4-year-old. This film is layered with history like this throughout – including some eerie use of undead fish! – and also features zombie film references and animated interludes

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @2.1    3 years ago

That has changed my view of Blood Quantum, I will have to find a way to see it since I'm familiar with ''Incident at Restigouche''.

A lesson in not making an assumption.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Hallux @2.1    3 years ago

If you have not seen, ''Smoke Signals'' starring Adam Beach and Evan Adams (both Canadians) with a host of other native actors it's well worth seeing. 

Adams went on to received his medical degree and later became Chief Medica Officer of the Indigneous Health Services in Canada.