╌>

Mother of deceased Capitol Police officer presses GOP senators to back Jan. 6 commission

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

Mother of deceased Capitol Police officer presses GOP senators to back Jan. 6 commission
“I suggest that all Congressmen and Senators who are against this Bill visit my son’s grave in Arlington National Cemetery and, while there, think about what their hurtful decisions will do to those officers who will be there for them going forward.”

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The remains of Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick are carried down the East Front steps after lying in honor in the Rotunda of the U.S. Capitol on Feb. 3 in Washington, D.C. | Michael Reynolds-Pool/Getty Images

The mother of fallen Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick and another D.C. police officer injured on the job during the Capitol riot will meet with GOP senators on Thursday to push them to support a proposed bipartisan commission to investigate the events of Jan. 6 — a measure Republicans are poised to block. Gladys Sicknick, as well as Brian Sicknick's longtime girlfriend Sandra Garza, had been seeking sit-downs with every single Senate GOP office to emphasize “the importance” of establishing an independent body to investigate the deadly insurrection, according to a copy of one of the scheduling request emails obtained by POLITICO. 

Michael Fanone, who suffered a heart attack and concussion while responding to the Jan. 6 attack, and Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn, who was pepper sprayed and maced while defending the Capitol, are slated to join Sicknick and Garza in some of their Senate meetings. Fanone had unsuccessfully sought a face-to-face with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy when that chamber was deliberating over the riot commission bill.

“Not having a January 6 Commission to look into exactly what occurred is a slap in the faces of all the officers who did their jobs that day,” Gladys Sicknick said in a statement. “I suggest that all Congressmen and Senators who are against this Bill visit my son’s grave in Arlington National Cemetery and, while there, think about what their hurtful decisions will do to those officers who will be there for them going forward.”

Last week, an  anonymous and unsigned statement  was released on Capitol Police letterhead and said to be authored by multiple officers on the force, delivering a rare and scathing public rebuke of top Republicans for opposing the commission bill.

Former President Donald Trump has come out swinging against the commission and slammed the House Republicans who voted for it.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

The mother of fallen Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick and another D.C. police officer injured on the job during the Capitol riot will meet with GOP senators on Thursday to push them to support a proposed bipartisan commission to investigate the events of Jan. 6 — a measure Republicans are poised to block. Gladys Sicknick, as well as Brian Sicknick's longtime girlfriend Sandra Garza, had been seeking sit-downs with every single Senate GOP office to emphasize “the importance” of establishing an independent body to investigate the deadly insurrection

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Michael Fanone, who suffered a heart attack and concussion while responding to the Jan. 6 attack, and Capitol Police officer Harry Dunn, who was pepper sprayed and maced while defending the Capitol, are slated to join Sicknick and Garza in some of their Senate meetings.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

“Not having a January 6 Commission to look into exactly what occurred is a slap in the faces of all the officers who did their jobs that day,” Gladys Sicknick said in a statement. “I suggest that all Congressmen and Senators who are against this Bill visit my son’s grave in Arlington National Cemetery and, while there, think about what their hurtful decisions will do to those officers who will be there for them going forward.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Update, 5/27:

Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is pressuring GOP senators to vote against a January 6 commission "as a personal favor".

No wonder he looks worried:

Republicans are facing mounting political pressure, including from some in the law enforcement community, to get behind the proposed commission.

CB
Professor Principal
4.1  CB  replied to  Krishna @4    3 years ago

Two-faced 'bastards'! All they want to do is take! Compromise is not 'in' these freakish people!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    3 years ago

Mrs. Sicknick is wasting her breath.  It isn't that the GOP won't investigate, rather it is that they can't.  Something has seeped it's way into one of America's political parties, the GOP.  That something was brought by Trump, the GOP bought it and that something is foreign, dirty and treasonous.  The first out in the open sign of this occurred at Helsinki.  And there is where this riddle can be solved.  The only American that was present behind those closed doors, a female interpreter/transcriber knows.  Is she even still alive?  Trump took her notes, swore her to secrecy.  Is that legal?  

It is time Congress get off it's ass.  Something happened at Helsinki.  Something dangerous and one of it's results was Jan. 6, 2021.  Don't forget about the Kurds too.  And there is more.  Much more.

Was Helsinki another Sept. 11, 2001 except with more sinister consequence?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

These cowards don't want to be implicated.  They don't give a shit that a man lost his life.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     3 years ago

It's exactly what you would expect for the cowards. 

Officer Fanone met with Johnson and ''blasted him''...

Over 70 Capitol Police officers have left the force since January 6th the day of the INSURRECTION.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1  CB  replied to  Kavika @7    3 years ago

Do the Capitol Police have a union? They should protest Republicans bringing them 'down' to a political level openly. Why just quietly take it? I will hate to see it, but it's another case of needing to 'Act up' or as Representative John Lewis (Deceased) would label it: "Good trouble."

Hallux
PhD Principal
8  Hallux    3 years ago

Ah Gladys, had your name only been Patricia Smith ...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

The GQP is now also the party of covering my own ass by blocking this commission.

Duck Hawk
Freshman Silent
10  Duck Hawk    3 years ago

So much for conservatives "backing the blue." Whenever I think these DEPLORABLES have set a new low , they surprise me.