╌>

Kamala Harris Condemned For Memorial Day Weekend Tweet That Doesn’t Mention Veterans

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  32 comments

By:   Rudy Takala (Mediaite)

Kamala Harris Condemned For Memorial Day Weekend Tweet That Doesn’t Mention Veterans
Vice President Kamala Harris published a Memorial Day message on Saturday that included a photograph of herself — but failed to reference the subject of the holiday.

Vice President Kamala Harris
@VP
·
May 29, 2021

United States government official

Enjoy the long weekend.

E2k-mahWQAALzFs?format=jpg&name=small

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Vice President Kamala Harris published a Memorial Day message on Saturday that included a photograph of herself — but failed to reference the significance of the holiday.

"Enjoy the long weekend," Harris wrote in the missive, which displayed a picture of her smiling and looking to one side. Social-media users were quick to observe the message omitted any mention of military veterans.

Memorial Day, instituted by Congress in its current form in 1971, is dedicated to fallen personnel of the United States Armed Forces. The holiday falls on Monday, meaning Harris still has time to write a message potentially quelling some of her critics.

It is Memorial Day weekend - nor for enjoying - but for memorializing our fallen. Our brothers and sisters, who 'gave the last full measure of devotion'.

Please try to respect that. pic.twitter.com/pf2dDxG7sx

— PaxView Jeff (@JR_justJR) May 29, 2021

Staff should have told her a little more about the holiday. https://t.co/KKyYgN8tAe — Byron York (@ByronYork) May 30, 2021

OK, V.P. Selina Meyer pic.twitter.com/hoaUogaIxg — Arthur Schwartz (@ArthurSchwartz) May 29, 2021

Narcissus would approve. So would someone else who used to occupy the White House who never resisted noting important days & events w photographs of himself. More telling? Harris reducing Memorial Day to a "long weekend." #Pathetic on all counts. https://t.co/FMeFZ87ynw — Tammy Bruce (@HeyTammyBruce) May 29, 2021

It is Memorial Day weekend. This weekend is our time as a nation to honor our Fallen. It is our dedicated time to reflect on our war fighters, those who paid the ultimate price for our Freedom. — Code of Vets ™ (@codeofvets) May 29, 2021

What the hell kind of "statement" is this ? I got a more PATRIOTIC message from the guy at the Rental Car place. This is MEMORIAL DAY Weekend KAMALA—-it's about MEN and WOMEN who FOUGHT AND DIED for Our Country in UNIFORM. https://t.co/YPyGIDOdNy — Greg Kelly (@gregkellyusa) May 29, 2021

Unbelievably disappointed that there is no mention as to why there is a "long weekend". This is a picture of our son, PFC Paul Cuzzupe who can't enjoy the weekend as he died defending our freedom. pic.twitter.com/djHiP09fnU — Michael Kirk (@Flaskinsfan) May 29, 2021

Of course no mention of the reason for the long weekend pic.twitter.com/LMgMQ4ExUw — Chuck Leeds (@gwarn1) May 29, 2021

It's just a "long weekend" for this fraud. I have several dead buddies that disagree. — Buzz Patterson (@BuzzPatterson) May 29, 2021

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

a misstep by Kamala Harris.

Either mention the significance of Memorial Day or don't mention the "long weekend" at all. 

However, I dont think this mistep signifies that she is unpatriotic or unAmerican, but rather that she is like most other Americans who think Memorial Day and the 4th of July and Labor Day  are just fun days of picnics and barbeques and summer fun at the beach and they dont contemplate the larger significance. 

It's nothing new and unique to Vice President Harris, but I have the feeling this will sting her a little. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

This does not bother me as much as when Trump used the fallen dead as a backdrop in France to trash talk others and stood on the grave of another fallen.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 years ago
This does not bother me as much as when Trump used the fallen dead as a backdrop in France to trash talk others and stood on the grave of another fallen.

Me neither. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    3 years ago

Also, #45 considered them losers, everyone is a loser to him, especially those who do for others and die for others and sacrifice for others.    

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

Agreed, say something about the fallen or don’t say anything at all. Granted most of the country doesn’t know what the holiday is for, but still.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.1  devangelical  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2    3 years ago

exactly. time for the yearly debate with the self appointed super-patriots that are much too ignorant to ever comprehend the difference between memorial day and veteran's day.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.1    3 years ago

I can explain it to you if you have trouble with the differences.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    3 years ago

Conservative Twitter?

Really?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2    3 years ago

I dont think you understand the headline. 

Dont go off topic or you will be deleted. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago
I dont think you understand the headline. 

What you think I understand is irrelevant.

Dont go off topic or you will be deleted. 

Duly noted.

Can I talk about what is in the article? Here is the headline you posted:

Conservative Twitter Condemns Kamala Harris Memorial Day Weekend Tweet That Doesn’t Mention Veterans

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    3 years ago

The headline reads "conservative twitter" because the headline writer perceived that the criticism of harris was perhaps mosty coming from conservatives. Maybe they thought it was inappropriate to just say "twitter condemns harris". 

This is your last warning. Whether twitter is conservative or liberal is not the topic of this seed. 

Further reference to that WILL be reported as off topic for deletion. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    3 years ago

I see no indication that it was conservatives "attacking" Harris.

Where in the article does it claim that the people posting on Twitter are conservatives, or did they just assume that no liberal progressive would ever criticize Harris for anything at any time?

Are progressive liberals not allowed to criticize party members?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Sean Treacy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    3 years ago
The headline reads "conservative twitter" because the headline writer perceived that the criticism of harris was perhaps mosty coming from conservatives.

IT's just another example of the "Republican's pounce" school of journalism.  When a Democrat does something dumb, liberal writers focus on the response as being partisan, rather than the underlying gaffe itself. It's just another example of liberal bias in the media, and serves as a running joke for those who don't drink from the kool-aid. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
3  Hallux    3 years ago

Memorial Day is this Monday, it is not Memorial Weekend. Today she tweeted:

"Throughout our history our service men and women have risked everything to defend our freedoms and our country. As we prepare to honor them on Memorial Day, we remember their service and their sacrifice."

@!@

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @3    3 years ago
Memorial Day is this Monday, it is not Memorial Weekend. Today she tweeted:

Classic case of CYA.

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.1  Hallux  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    3 years ago

As with the twitter trolls, classic case of always finding something to be 'offended' by while they run off to baseball, beaches and bigbox stores.

Pfft!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Hallux @3.1.1    3 years ago

No, I leave that to the progressive liberals who are constantly whining about something or other.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @3.1.1    3 years ago

Kamala Harris is supposed to have aides that check her twitter posts before they go out.  

This was an unforced error. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.1.4  Hallux  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    3 years ago

Could well be, I still don't see it as a rational for hair to spontaneously combust.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Hallux @3.1.4    3 years ago

I dont think anyone here has their hair on fire.  Maybe on the Trump networks they do. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3.1.6  Gazoo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    3 years ago

“Harris is supposed to have aides that check her twitter posts before they go out.”

in other words, harris is not smart enough to determine whether her twitter posts are appropriate.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hallux @3    3 years ago

I have always heard of it being referred to as Memorial Day weekend.

"Throughout our history our service men and women have risked everything to defend our freedoms and our country. As we prepare to honor them on Memorial Day, we remember their service and their sacrifice."

She gave recognition to me and every other vet out there and the day we are honored so what is that person's problem?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    3 years ago

Probably because that is how most folks describe ANY 3-day weekend--the whole weekend becomes part of the holiday.

Can you imagine someone being upset that we refer to Labor Day WEEKEND?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.2.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    3 years ago

That statement recognizing Memorial Day was made after her original tweet about the weekend which did not, so one could say it was damage control. 

Hallux
PhD Principal
3.2.3  Hallux  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2    3 years ago

... and MLK Day, is that also referred to as MLK Day weekend? No snark, just asking.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Hallux @3.2.3    3 years ago

I have heard it and other holidays that are on Monday referred to as holiday weekends.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.2.4    3 years ago

Yeah, no one I know of ever says "I have this weekend off plus Monday.

They all just say we have a 3 day weekend or we have Memorial Weekend off.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
4  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

Thought police. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    3 years ago

The ugly low information bitch doesn't have a clue.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Wow, just wow!

Hallux
PhD Principal
5.2  Hallux  replied to  Greg Jones @5    3 years ago

Which is why she is VP and you are just another poster on a will-o'-the-wisp site ... /S

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    3 years ago

Meh. This is ok. I don’t think there is much danger that Harris will totally blow off the real reason for Memorial Day forever. Regular people celebrate “the long weekend” all the time, whether it’s Memorial Day, Presidents Day, or MLK day. They also can acknowledge the reason for the long weekend, but they might not do it in the same breath. That doesn’t mean they are disrespecting the reason.