╌>

US embassy in Vatican flies Pride flag outside its building for month of June | The Independent

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  jbb  •  3 years ago  •  25 comments

By:   Danielle Zoellner (The Independent)

US embassy in Vatican flies Pride flag outside its building for month of June | The Independent
Secretary of State Anthony Blinken gives permission for US embassies to fly the Pride flag outside

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Secretary of State Anthony Blinken gives permission for US embassies to fly the Pride flag outside

Danielle ZoellnerNew York @dani__zoellnerThursday 03 June 2021 22:09

Biden urges US to reckon with history of racial injustice

The United States embassy in the Vatican has decided to fly the Pride flag for the month of June in honour of the LGBT+ community.

"The US Embassy to the Holy See celebrates #PrideMonth with the Pride flag on display during the month of June," the embassy wrote in a tweet on Tuesday. "The United States respects the dignity and equality of LGBTQI+ people. LGBTQI+ rights are human rights."

The embassy also shared a statement from US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken on 1 June, the start of Pride Month.

"As we celebrate Pride Month this June, let us not only observe how far we have come in the struggle for the human rights of LGBTQI+ persons, but also acknowledge the  challenges  that remain," the statement read.

Mr Blinken announced earlier this year that US embassies and consulates would be allowed to fly the Pride flag on the same flagpole as the American flag during "Pride season".

This authorisation under the Biden administration, which was not a mandate, was announced before 17 May, an international day against homophobia and transphobia.

US embassies have also participated for the month of June, which was celebrated as Pride month within the LBGT+ community.

But authorities have asked for US embassies located in specific locations to not fly the flag out of concern of the potential reaction.

The Trump administration reportedly prohibited the Pride flag to be flown on flagpoles outside of federal buildings, but allowed for the flag to be hung inside.

The announcement of the Pride flag flying outside the US embassy in the Vatican has sparked some backlash among Americans, specifically Catholics, who questioned if the flag was flying outside embassies in locations where homophobia was punishable by death.

"Do we have this flag hanging in Saudi Arabia? Indonesia? Iraq? Or is the Biden Administration's policy really just meant to provoke the Catholic Church?" one person wrote following the news.

Newsweek editor Josh Hammer called the move a "deliberate, provocative insult to traditional Catholicism".

At the start of June, president Joe Biden, who is Catholic, released a statement celebrating the month.

"Pride is both a jubilant communal celebration of visibility and a personal celebration of self-worth and dignity," Mr Biden stated before calling on Congress to pass the Equality Act, which would establish sexual orientation and gender identity as protected classes in federal civil rights law.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JBB
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JBB    3 years ago

Happy Pride Month!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  JBB @1    3 years ago

... in support of some of the clergy there, obviously...

JBB
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JBB  replied to  devangelical @1.1    3 years ago

If priests could have adult relationships with other adults, straight or gay, paedophilia would not be such a recurring problem for Catholics... 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago
Newsweekeditor Josh Hammer called the move a "deliberate, provocative insult to traditional Catholicism".

He would best be advised that traditional Catholicism has a horrible history. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

Blinken is pushing his hardest to get the LGBT+ flags posted everywhere.  Is that the new U.S. policy?  Don't think so.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @2.1    3 years ago
Blinken is pushing his hardest to get the LGBT+ flags posted everywhere.  Is that the new U.S. policy?  Don't think so.

It's not a problem for me, is it for you?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    3 years ago

I'd prefer the KIA/MIA flags - they're not in evidence of being posted.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.2    3 years ago

Biden returned the MIA flag to the top of the White House where it flies 365 days a year. There are a certain number of days/dates that the MIA flag is flown at all US government installations, six I believe.

The MIA flag has not been relegated to the dust bin but remains in the most prominent place in America, the White House.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1    3 years ago

Blinken made a huge mistake! As far as US embassies, the only flag that should be flying is the US flag. In allowing the rainbow flag to be flown, he is giving preferential treatment to endorse one particular special interest group at the expense of other such groups.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.4    3 years ago

I never knew gay people were a special interest...

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.6  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ender @2.1.5    3 years ago

In my opinion, as much as any other group looking out for their own interests, yes they are. That was not meant as a condemnation, only a observation.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Ender  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.6    3 years ago

But the thing is, they are not a 'group'.

They are real people living among you.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @2.1.5    3 years ago

They are a special interest group if they have PACs and organizations that donate money to politicians. Which they have several to choose from.

Google is your friend- there are countless more besides the ones that I listed. Look it up.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.8    3 years ago

Are straight people a group?

They sure as hell have a lot of pacs and make money...

The only thing special is the way they are treated, by some.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.10  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.8    3 years ago

Are you one of those people that thinks being gay is a choice?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.11  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @2.1.9    3 years ago

You already answered your own biased question.

Let me know when they announce a straight pride month; and hang a straight pride flag from US Embassies and government buildings.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.11    3 years ago

So you refuse to answer my question.

Very telling.

Tell me when straight people were discriminated against...

You have no point. Other than trying to act like being gay is some special class of their own making.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @2.1.10    3 years ago

Are you one of those people that doesn't get the definition of a special interest group?

Here, let me help you.

noun
noun: special interest group
  1. a group of people or an organization seeking or receiving special advantages, typically through political lobbying.
    "more than $300 million has been spent by special interest groups trying to influence the nation's energy policies"
Interest group , also called special interest group , advocacy group , or pressure group , any association of individuals or organizations, usually formally organized, that, on the basis of one or more shared concerns, attempts to influence public policy in its favour. All interest groups share a desire to affect government policy to benefit themselves or their causes. Their goal could be a policy that exclusively benefits group members or one segment of society (e.g., government subsidies for farmers) or a policy that advances a broader public purpose (e.g., improving air quality). They attempt to achieve their goals by lobbying —that is, by attempting to bring pressure to bear on policy makers to gain policy outcomes in their favour.

special interest

noun

English Language Learners Definition of special interest

chiefly US : a group that tries to influence the people who run a government in order to help a particular business, cause, industry, etc.
Yes, they are a special interest group.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.13    3 years ago

So according to you anyone that is gay belongs to a special interest group.

[Deleted]

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Ronin2  replied to  Ender @2.1.12    3 years ago
So you refuse to answer my question.

You already answered your own damn question; so what is the point of me answering it.

Very telling.

Very telling that you can't recognize the very definition special interest.

Tell me when straight people were discriminated against...

Which set of straight people do you want to choose? They don't all go under one banner. There are very few straight group PAC's out there with their name actually in them; but you could put out every last religious group and organization out there that doesn't want their religious beliefs infringed upon to start with.

You have no point. Other than trying to act like being gay is some special class of their own making.

Typical Democrat, making assumptions that don't exist. Not once did I state they had a choice. I said they were a special interest group; which they are. They fit every definition of the word. No special interest group should have their flag hung at any Federal, State, or Local government building; period. The government is not supposed to show favoritism to any group at any level.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.15    3 years ago

Again, being gay is not some secret society where one becomes a member.

Yes gay people have special interest groups just like straight people have special interest groups.

It does not make them as a whole some special interest group, like you are trying to make it seem. So get real.

There is no shame in showing solidarity. Sorry that it offends you so much.

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.17  Ender  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.15    3 years ago

Just for once I would like some on the right to acknowledge that people are just people.

Being gay is not a crime yet it seems some would like to make it so.

Say what you mean and mean what you say.

It pisses you off that an embassy dared to hang something gay.

Fits the narrative that I heard lately, from the right wing, that we are weak.

Just because we are inclusive and don't discriminate is in no way a weakness, despite right wing claims.

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.2  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

equality is obviously a new concept to some americans...

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.3  devangelical  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago
He would best be advised that traditional Catholicism has a horrible history.

centuries of murder, genocide, pedophilia, and facilitating the escape of nazi war criminals...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

A section of the original pride flag has been found and now on display in SF.  The person who had it didn't realize what he had and said he got chills when he realized it.