╌>

The war for attention

Category:  Other

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  10 comments

By:   Jim VandeHei - Axios

The war for attention
Never have humans talked, tweeted or texted more words — and found it more difficult to be heard.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

In this era of nonstop noise, every person must be a skillful communicator. Yet most struggle at it.

• Customers and employees   are demanding to know what companies stand for. Most executives have been lousy at providing an answer.
  • Our remote and hybrid   working world puts a premium on clarity and consistency of message. Most managers are unprepared.
  • When communication fails , teams and ideas fail. 30% of all project failures are the direct result of poor communication, according to a Project Management Institute   study .

Here are a few tips   we have learned running a media company that you can use to bust through the noise:

1. Write like you speak.  Jargon, throat-clearing and well-known background weigh your message down. Conversational language is captivating.
  2. Ruthlessly prioritize.  Attention spans are short and shrinking. Accept it. Get to the point quickly so readers can move on. 60% to 80% of people will scan, not read, what you write, University of Maryland research found.
  3. Repetition matters.  If you want someone to remember something, communicate crisply — and repeatedly. By the time you have annoyed yourself, others are probably starting to hear you.
  4. Diversify. Fast.  Every person needs to be able to speak authoritatively — or listen authentically — about diversity, equity and inclusion. If you rolled your eyes at this one, get help, quick.

The big picture:   The communications crisis isn’t confined to business or top leaders. The more noise and distraction, the more precision and efficiency matter in being heard — and remembered.

• Just look at politics:   Power no longer flows from position, seniority or money. It flows to those who master — or game — modern, short-burst communications on cable or Twitter.
  • Teachers, preachers, small-group leaders   — everyone who communicates one-to-many — face similar challenges in penetrating brains rewired by quick-twitch technology
  • You're invited:  Join Jim VandeHei and other Axios colleagues Friday at 12:30 p.m. ET for a half-hour virtual event, "The War for Attention: Communication Rules for a Hybrid Workforce."  Sign up here .

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
Masters Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

"Repetition matters." For some here it is a religion.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

I need to remember this when I'm writing letters for my job

Hallux
Masters Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    3 years ago

No, no, no, I repeat, no, no, no!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1.1.1    3 years ago

But I must must must! I write letters to people with the literacy of a 6th grader

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2  Bob Nelson    3 years ago
60% to 80% of people will scan, not read, what you write

Not even...

On NT, many people do not read the seeds. The Usual Suspects read only the headline. (I've never named a single one of the Usual Suspects, but using the term gets me tickets, anyway...)

In fact, some seeders don't bother to read their article. Seeding an article without reading it... That's a phenomenon that should get some attention from TPTB, but hey!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    3 years ago

[deleted]

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Bob Nelson  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    3 years ago

If you know enough to have an opinion, you must be an exception: someone who occasionally reads a seed.

Alternatively... you are like the Usual Suspects: you do not read the seeds. In which case, your opinion isn't worth sh!t.

My guess is n° 2.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    3 years ago

How nasty!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Bob Nelson @2    3 years ago

I have noticed a certain few who don't bother to read anything at all including the articles they seed and the comments they respond to