╌>

White woman captured on camera vandalizing statue of the only Black member of the Lewis and Clark expedition

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  15 comments

By:   Olafimihan Oshin (MSN)

White woman captured on camera vandalizing statue of the only Black member of the Lewis and Clark expedition
Video captured a white woman vandalizing a statue of the only Black member of the famous Lewis and Clark expedition, NBC-affiliate KGW reported on Wednesday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Video captured a white woman vandalizing a statue of the only Black member of the famous Lewis and Clark expedition, NBC-affiliate KGW reported on Wednesday.

AAKV23m.img?h=351&w=624&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=316&y=32

Video obtained by the Portland, Ore., NBC-affiliate shows an unidentified white woman using purple spray paint to deface the statue of York, which honors an enslaved member of the Lewis and Clark expedition.

In an obscenity-laced rant, the woman says that she has been  "prejudiced against Black people and Hispanic people," and says that replacing the statue of a white man with a Black man is "not unity." She also shared her personal information with a bystander who recorded the incident.

Had an interesting encounter during a bike ride this morning. A person was defacing the Bust of York statue on the top of Mt Tabor. pic.twitter.com/LbLYut9RGr
- GodzEli (@santoku) June 8, 2021

The statue of York, who was the first Black person to cross North America and reach the Pacific Coast, replaced a statue of Harvey Scott, who was the longtime editor and owner of the Oregonian newspaper, according to NBC-affiliate KGW.

Scott's statue was toppled in October because of his past conservative views on women's suffrage, which he opposed.

This is the second time within three months that the statue of York has been vandalized, according to the Williamette Week report.

Statue of Harvey Scott torn down in Mt. Tabor Park.

Scott died in 1910, was a longtime editor of the Oregonian and also brother of women's rights advocate Abigail Scott Duniway.

Scott opposed woman's suffrage pic.twitter.com/VHWMeeQxCW
- Devon Haskins (@devonhaskins) October 20, 2020

Portland Parks & Recreation told KGW that it's already working on removing the paint and determining the cost of the damage. The Portland Police Department is investigating the incident.

The Hill has reached out to Portland Police for more information

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

When asked to explain herself by a bystander who saw her doing this, she said "I dont give a fuck".

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

There is video of this incident on this page, although the sound part of the recording leaves a little to be desired. 

White woman filmed vandalizing York monument in Oregon | Daily Mail Online

Ender
Professor Principal
3  Ender    3 years ago

Who is it that keeps saying racism is a thing of the past?

On a side note, fat people need to stop wearing skin tight leggings.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Ender @3    3 years ago
Who is it that keeps saying racism is a thing of the past?

Honestly, I don’t see people saying that. They say things are better, and I would say that for the most part, that’s true. I have never encountered anyone who said there there was no racism.

Kavika
Professor Principal
4  Kavika     3 years ago

Yup, we're in post-racial society.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
5  Dismayed Patriot    3 years ago
"In an obscenity-laced rant, the woman says that she has been  "prejudiced against Black people and Hispanic people," and says that replacing the statue of a white man with a Black man is "not unity." "The statue of York, who was the first Black person to cross North America and reach the Pacific Coast, replaced a statue of Harvey Scott, who was the longtime editor and owner of the Oregonian newspaper, according to NBC-affiliate KGW. Scott's statue was toppled in October because of his past conservative views on women's suffrage, which he opposed."

So this woman is protesting that a monument to a black person replaced that of a white man who vehemently opposed her having the right to vote. Truly a profile in both racism and stupidity. I'll bet a years salary I know who she used her right to vote for in the last Presidential election, and it certainly wasn't Joe Biden.

evilone
Professor Guide
5.1  evilone  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @5    3 years ago
I'll bet a years salary I know who she used her right to vote for in the last Presidential election, and it certainly wasn't Joe Biden.

I'm almost tempted to take you up on it and guess she didn't vote.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

This racist bitch needs to get the bill for the clean up.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    3 years ago

That may very well happen, plus fines and probation.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @6.1    3 years ago

Toss her in jail.  Maybe the sisters can re educate her.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    3 years ago

There is something else going on here. This person looks like they might be trans to me. Especially, if you get the straight on picture of the face. They are painting the androgyny symbol and doing it in purple (androgyny color). There is a story behind all of this that I think we haven’t heard yet.

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1  Ender  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 years ago

I was wondering what that symbol was.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
7.2  Sunshine  replied to  Tacos! @7    3 years ago

Another Jessie Smollett.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
8  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

Ahhh never mind.......... deleted by me really doesn't matter in the scheme of things

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9  Split Personality    3 years ago

On Thursday, the Portland police identified the woman as 43-year-old Jeanette K. Grode. She was cited for second-degree criminal mischief, abuse of venerated objects, unlawful applying of graffiti and vandalism. 

Portland Parks & Recreation said their maintenance team is working on removing the paint and determining the damage's costs. 

Since Mt Tabor is a city park, it looks like Grode will not be subject to the 2003 Congressional Act which could have carried a 10 year sentence.