╌>

How to make sense of the new findings on 'forever chemicals' in makeup

Category:  Other

Via:  hallux  •  3 years ago  •  5 comments

By:   Emily Chung, Alice Hopton, Inayat Singh · CBC News ·

How to make sense of the new findings on 'forever chemicals' in makeup
PFAS found most often in 'wear-resistant' liquid lipsticks and foundation, waterproof mascara

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

People who wear makeup such as lipstick or mascara may be absorbing or licking up potentially harmful ingredients that hang around for decades in the environment, according to a new study by researchers in the U.S., Canada and Switzerland.

Those ingredients, known as polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS), are rarely disclosed on labels, making them hard to avoid, said the study   published Tuesday in the journal Environmental Science & Technology Letters .

What are PFAS and where are they found?

PFAS are a group of more than 4,700 human-made chemicals that contain fluorine bonded to carbon, a strong chemical bond that makes them hard to break down.

"What's really concerning about them is that they're highly persistent," said Miriam Diamond, a University of Toronto professor who co-authored the research. "It'll stick around for years, actually. … Decades."

That's why they're often referred to as "forever chemicals" by scientists. It's also how they can accumulate to high levels over time in the body or the environment.

PFAS have been used for lubricants, stain repellents, waterproofing, non-stick coatings and firefighting foams, and can be found in products ranging from carpets to cosmetics to food packaging.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hallux
PhD Principal
1  seeder  Hallux    3 years ago

I'm just way too gorgeous for makeup.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Hallux @1    3 years ago

Me, too

Hallux
PhD Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Hallux  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1    3 years ago

I know!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2  Greg Jones    3 years ago

So....don't eat....

lubricants, stain repellents, waterproofing, non-stick coatings and firefighting foams, and can be found in products ranging from carpets to cosmetics to food packaging.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
3  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

I think it’s funny how many humans have fallen for the bogus minimum water intake for a healthy lifestyle bullshit.  I only drink water when I am genuinely thirsty, which is hardly ever.  Yet suckers out there are needlessly funneling it down their throats all day long just like the bottled water industry has directed them to, and then making crazy claims about how much healthier they are because of it.  Guess what you are also needlessly funneling into your physiology in your effort to create as much plastic waste as possible?  PFAS is inextricably saturated in every gallon of your habit.