╌>

This Day In History

Category:  History & Sociology

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

This Day In History

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

June 25 — in history

original

th?id=ABT85A035BD41BFAD23843409CAD020BC3F9C9D266B4EF0AB3F3B71C9ED30144DD5&w=608&h=180&c=2&rs=1

©

1876 1947 1950 1984

Custer's last stand Anne Frank published Korean War Prince goes purple

A coalition of Native American tribes, resisting a forced move onto reservations, array themselves against  George Armstrong Custer's  US 7th Cavalry at the  Battle of Little Bighorn  in Montana Territory. A vastly overconfident Custer advance is met and wiped out in a matter of an hour.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I still remember the Errol Flynn movie where Custer was portrayed as a misunderstood valiant hero who was let down by the higher ups. 

They Died With Their Boots On. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @1    3 years ago

If the US Army won it was a great victory. If Indians won it was a massacre. 

Times are slowly changing.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 years ago

When I was of Cub Scout age a long time ago there was a "jamboree" in one of the local parks and a couple hundred Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts camped out overnight in that city park.

The next day, for a reason I can no longer understand, us boys did a re-enactment of Custers Last Stand . part of the group were the soldiers and a larger part were the Indians . The soldiers were in the middle and the Indians ran a circle around them war whooping and shooting play arrows. The kids that were the soldiers had been instructed to fall down dead at regular intervals so their number would go down to zero. 

I dont remember if we were supposed to be happy or sad that the soldiers all died or that they were brave , but I do remember feeling like our side had lost. 

I assume the Cub Scouts dont do that sort of thing anymore. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.2  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @1.1    3 years ago

Custers wife Elizabeth kind of made a post Last Stand career out of promoting her husbands bravery and heroism. I think she was doing it until the day she died, and she lived a LONG time. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.2    3 years ago

I'm sure that she did. Fantasy sells, reality not so much.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Kavika @1.1.3    3 years ago

I know she wrote a book or two about him after he was dead, and I imagine they were big sellers at the time. 

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2  Mark in Wyoming     3 years ago

think the movie that influenced me the most on this subject  when i was young, was the one with dustin hoffman, Little big man , it kind of put things into perspective for me even though it was satire and comedy . it made me think hollywood and history usually dont tell the truth , so one has to seek it out from all the sources .

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2    3 years ago

One of everyone's favorite movies. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

Jack Crabb and Old Lodge Skins...Classic

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.1.2  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    3 years ago

2 scenes i always remember in that movie , jacks rival walks up and says , " i have x ponies and a wife , " jack being much shorter , hangs his head and replies i have x wives and one pony ......all the while the wives are giggling in the background...

the other scene was where jack was telling custer what he faced , and custer , being the boneheaded idiot enamored with his own press releases mythos , did as any politician would do and made a gobbledy gook summation of what jack was telling him. only to find out jack was telling the truth. 

I think that second scene was likely a little closer to the truth since it is no secret custer had asperations to run for president and was building his political reputation .

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Kavika @2.1.1    3 years ago

And Grandfather Dan George.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.4  1stwarrior  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @2.1.2    3 years ago

And that was before Custer wore his arrow shirt.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Kavika   replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.3    3 years ago

Yup, and he played Old Lodge Skins.

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
2.1.6  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.4    3 years ago

Arrow always made some fine dress shirts , now the type custer ended up with ......reminds me of the old song  by Ray Stevens , please mr custer , i dont wanna go....

ear worm warning...