╌>

U.S.'s 67.1% adult vaccinations rate misses Biden's goal of 70% - UPI.com

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  3 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   UPI

U.S.'s 67.1% adult vaccinations rate misses Biden's goal of 70% - UPI.com
Just eighteen state have reached President Joe Biden's goal of 70% adults vaccinated by the Fourth of July.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

July 4 (UPI) -- Just 18 of 50 states reached President Joe Biden's goal of 70% adults vaccinated with at least one dose by the Fourth of July.

In the United States, a total of 173,194,895 Americans, or 67.1%, had received at least one shot of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For totally vaccinated, its 150,312,726 or 58.2 percent.

On May 4, Biden said: "As we turn to this new phase, we're also setting a new goal. Two months from today -- two months from today, families across the country are going to celebrate the Fourth of July. Our goal by July 4th is to have 70 percent of adult Americans with at least one shot and 160 million Americans fully vaccinated."

The goal was 100 million shots over 60 days. On that date the figure was 263,407,685. It now is 330,604.253.

In March, Biden said there was a "good chance" that people would be able to get together in small groups for backyard barbecues to celebrate Independence Day, but not large events. But with vaccination rates increasing, and cases and deaths down, big crowds are not being discouraged. Large-scale displays are planned, including Washington, D.C., and New York.

For the total population, there have been 182,412,776 vaccinated at 54.9% and full 157,323,738 at 47.4%.

Among people 12 years old and old, it's 64.3% with one dose and 55.4% totally vaccinated. The CDC has only authorized three vaccines -- Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson -- for those 12 and older.

For the vulnerable population 65 and older, 88.4% have received one dose and 78.7 fully vaccinated. Pfizer and Moderna require two doses and J&J one.

Vermont had the best percentage of 85.3%, followed by Hawaii at 83.7%, Massachusetts at 82.5%, Connecticut at 79.4, Maine at 77.8, New Mexico at 77%, New Jersey at 76.5%, Rhode Island at 76.1%, Pennsylvania at 75.8%, Maryland at 75.1%, California at 75.1%, Washington 74.6%, New Hampshire 73.6%, New York 72.6%, Illinois 72.2%, Virginia 71.3%, Delaware 70.4%, Minnesota 70.2%, Colorado 70.0%. The District of Columbia's rate was 72.9% and Puerto Rico was at 74.7.

The state with the worst percentage: Mississippi 49.2%.

The death toll from the pandemic is 605,510, according to tracking by Johnson Hopkins. Cases are 33,715,687. The United States leads the world in both of those categories

On Saturday, 80 deaths and 4,739 cases were reported though only 15 states reported death data.

California leads with 63,141 deaths and 3,713,944 cases with data now not reporting on weekends or state holidays.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    3 years ago
Just 18 of 50 states reached President Joe Biden's goal of 70% adults vaccinated with at least one dose by the Fourth of July. In the United States, a total of 173,194,895 Americans, or 67.1%, had received at least one shot of the COVID-19 vaccine, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For totally vaccinated, its 150,312,726 or 58.2 percent.

36% of the states have 70% of the vaccinations. I'm sure it wouldnt be hard to guess what regions of the country contain the states resisting vaccination. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     3 years ago

It is amazing to me that there are people refusing to get the vaccine.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Kavika @2    3 years ago

Unless they are allergic to any of the components, those who won't get vaccinated are just selfish.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1    3 years ago

I'm not sure I would call them selfish.  Combine the horrific experimentation that was done on Blacks with injections in the past, add that the vaccines are still operating under emergency authorization rather than full approval and then add in how badly this pandemic was politicized from the start and I think I can understand why some groups are less than enthusiastic about getting a vaccination. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @2.1.1    3 years ago

I understand what you're saying Snuffy but on the other hand Native Americans and Alaska Natives which have as much if not more suspicion of the US Government and have a death rate of 3 times that of whites from COVID have been especially successful in getting members vaccinated. The Navajo the largest tribe in the US are at a 70% plus rate for ALL tribal citizens. The Blackfeet are at 95% and many other tribes are at a very high vaccinated rate. 

We, as a people have learned the very hard way what pandemics and disease can do to us. 

Just to understand the lengths we have gone through to get natives vaccinated in rural Alaska the vaccine was delivered by dog sled. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Kavika @2.1.2    3 years ago

And that's great. But I would say that's more a tribute to the leadership of the tribes than the leadership of the federal government. And the tribes have an advantage over the Blacks,  the Blacks don't have their own governments but are forced to look towards Washington and their local governments who are so politically divided it's a wonder they can get the trash picked up on the scheduled days. 

But what you say in no way changes my initial reply to Paula. Based on all the past "experiments" conducted by government on Blacks they have less reason to trust government than a lot of other ethnic groups, add in the emergency authorization and the politicization from the beginning and I would not call them selfish for being hesitant in getting a vaccination.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Snuffy @2.1.3    3 years ago
And that's great. But I would say that's more a tribute to the leadership of the tribes than the leadership of the federal government. And the tribes have an advantage over the Blacks,  the Blacks don't have their own governments but are forced to look towards Washington and their local governments who are so politically divided it's a wonder they can get the trash picked up on the scheduled days. 

The vaccine comes from the feds, Snuffy. Yes, the leaderships played a role as did the concern of many tribal members that we could lose our elders which are the historians/cultural/language carriers of the tribes. 

But what you say in no way changes my initial reply to Paula. Based on all the past "experiments" conducted by government on Blacks they have less reason to trust government than a lot of other ethnic groups, add in the emergency authorization and the politicization from the beginning and I would not call them selfish for being hesitant in getting a vaccination.

I wasn't asking for you to change your reply, I was giving you another perspective from a group that has no reason to trust the US government and as with blacks had to deal with past ''experiments'' on us. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3  SteevieGee    3 years ago

My fireworks show was attended by an estimated 250 people.  No one wore masks.  No social distancing.  It could be called a real super spreader event.  I honestly believe that we're not out of the woods yet.  We're going to have another wave of infections.  The unvaccinated will bear the brunt of this.  Hopefully, they will all get it and get natural immunity before the virus has a new catastrophic mutation sending us all back into isolation.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  Ender  replied to  SteevieGee @3    3 years ago

Same here. Large groups gathering and no masks. We are already on an uptick. I bet in the next couple of weeks we see a good rise.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4  Snuffy    3 years ago

While I do wish everybody would get vaccinated (and this means to me the entire world, so long as there are countries with very low vaccination rates this virus will continue to mutate and spread) one thing that is never brought into the conversation is the immunity levels of those who had the infection and recovered. We know there are levels of immunity from having Covid before. It would be nice if there was more testing being done to show the percentage of population (both here and world-wide) to show antibodies and resistance to this virus. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @4    3 years ago

We saw the death toll the virus has taken. Natural immunity would come at a large cost.

Has there been cases where people have gotten it twice? I thought there was.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.1  Snuffy  replied to  Ender @4.1    3 years ago
Has there been cases where people have gotten it twice? I thought there was.

Yes, and there are some who have been fully vaccinated and became ill with the virus. Nothing is 100% here.  (I mean, believing the Bible means that not even death is 100% cuz we had two who made it out of here without dying)

But at least lets be honest and include some testing to show levels of immunity around the country rather than just pushing the fear of the virus. If the vaccine provides some immunity and previously having had and recovered from the virus provides some immunity then let's include that in the discussion rather than ignoring that part of immunity because it doesn't fit a political goal. I believe this pandemic has been so highly politicized that honest discussion is no longer allowed.

I do wish that everybody would get the vaccine but I'm not gonna go around lambasting them because they don't. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Ender  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.1    3 years ago

I was talking about people that never got the vac and had it twice.

I just don't get the hesitation. As soon as it was available to me I was in line.

I will lambast them because if everyone got it, it would make sense to me that this could be over a lot quicker.

The same with people that refused to get their kids vaccinated for other things and then there is an outbreak of measles.

I think the anti vac and mask people have made it more political than others.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    3 years ago

We are surrounded by crazy people. I can’t believe I live in a time and place when the idea of getting vaccinated against a highly contagious and fatal disease would be controversial. The world is inside out or something.