╌>

GOP representative promises to replace over 20 stolen American flags burned ahead of 4th of July

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  3 comments

By:   Lawrence Richard (MSN)

GOP representative promises to replace over 20 stolen American flags burned ahead of 4th of July
A Republican lawmaker will replace over 20 American flags stolen from a cemetery in Anderson, South Carolina, and burned ahead of the 4th of July.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Republican lawmaker will replace over 20 American flags stolen from a cemetery in Anderson, South Carolina, and burned ahead of the 4th of July.

© Provided by Washington Examiner

Republican Rep. Jeff Duncan announced Tuesday he would pay to replace the flags after they were found burned in a pile on the night of July 3 near the Forest Lawn Memorial Park, where they are placed each year to honor those who have died.

"Our flag stands for values that can never be destroyed," Duncan wrote on Twitter.

"I've been in contact with Forest Lawn Memorial Park, and they have accepted my offer to replace all 21 American flags that were burned by vandals over the weekend," the congressman added in a separate statement to Fox News . "No amount of intimidation will cause us to shy away from showing our pride for this country."

I've been in contact with Forest Lawn Memorial Park, and they have accepted my offer to replace all 21 American flags that were burned by vandals over the weekend. Our flag stands for values that can never be destroyed. https://t.co/WxIuX8pQlG
— Rep. Jeff Duncan (@RepJeffDuncan) July 6, 2021

In a post to Facebook, the South Carolina congressman connected the burning to a theft incident of several American flags at Mama Penns, a restaurant in Anderson, in May. He also offered to help those who stole and damaged the flags to leave the country.

"Wonder if this was the same person who stole the American flag at Mama Penns? To the disturbed person who did this: if Old Glory is so triggering to you, why not leave the country?" he asked. "If you contact my office, and I will personally assist you with the paperwork needed for you to leave this country and denounce your citizenship."

Forest Lawn Memorial Park manager Joe Owens told Fox News the flags are traditionally laid each year.

"The flags were placed in our cemetery to celebrate the 245th birthday of our nation's Independence," he said.

"Each year, we place these American flags to celebrate our freedom, in memory of those who have fought for, are fighting for, and the future patriots that will be called upon to fight our country's independence," Owens added.

There are no known suspects, and local authorities are continuing to investigate the incident.

"Investigators have reached out to the local Crime Stoppers organization asking for reward assistance and any information about the incident," Public Information Officer Stephen Combs told the outlet.

Tags: Flags, South Carolina, Fourth of July, America, Republican

Original Author: Lawrence Richard

Original Location: GOP representative promises to replace over 20 stolen American flags burned ahead of 4th of July

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

What kind of special moron steals flags from a cemetery and burns them?

shona1
PhD Quiet
1.1  shona1  replied to  Texan1211 @1    3 years ago

The lowest of the low...and even worse from a cemetary..

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  shona1 @1.1    3 years ago

Agreed!