╌>

The three major stock market indexes closed at new record highs Monday

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  3 years ago  •  17 comments

By:   Jonathan Ponciano

The three major stock market indexes closed at new record highs Monday
"We ran out of superlatives to describe corporate America’s stunning performance during first-quarter earnings season," LPL Financial wrote in a Monday note, citing profits that exceeded high expectations by one of the biggest margins in history. 

Related:

Big technology stocks like Amazon and Apple led major indexes to new records Wednesday, signaling to experts that investors are plowing into risky assets in search of market returns as stock valuations return to unprecedented highs.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Traders and financial professionals work on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. GETTY IMAGES

KEY FACTS

• Adding to a Friday high, the Dow, which is composed of 30 legacy corporations like Disney and Goldman Sachs, jumped 126 points, or 0.4%, to 34,996 on Monday, pushing gains to nearly 16% this year alone.

• Also nabbing new records, the S&P 500 jumped 0.4% to 4,385 points, and the tech-heavy Nasdaq ticked up 0.2%; they're now up 18.5% and 16% this year, respectively.

• Ahead of their earnings reports this week, big banks Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan were among stocks heading up the S&P's gains, climbing 3%, 2.5% and 2%

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

"We ran out of superlatives to describe corporate America’s stunning performance during first-quarter earnings season," LPL Financial wrote in a Monday note, citing profits that exceeded high expectations by one of the biggest margins in history. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

The firm expects "more good news this quarter as more of the economy has opened up," but also acknowledges the second quarter "will almost certainly end up being the peak in earnings growth for this cycle."

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    3 years ago

Buoyed by optimism over the waning pandemic, energy and financial stocks headed up the market at the start of this year, but technology stocks have also bounced back 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

But..but...but...it was supposed to crash and burn with Biden in office according to the loser who was defeated in January.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    3 years ago

That's okay, we are still waiting on Krugman's predictions of a giant Trump crash to happen, too.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago

Trump's crash was last year when the markets fell thousands of points. Did you forget that?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    3 years ago
Trump's crash was last year when the markets fell thousands of points. Did you forget that?

Minor, minor "crash", if one can even call it that.

Not what Krugman predicted.

Paul Krugman: Trump will bring global recession - POLITICOBack ButtonSearch IconFilter Icon

Besides, should one invested in the stock market panic over a one-day plunge, or even a 2 or 3 day plunge?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.1    3 years ago
Did you forget that?

Did you forget the double digit gains the overall stock market had last year?

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1    3 years ago

That's okay, we are still waiting on Krugman's predictions of a giant Trump crash to happen, too.

That's really irrelevant-- actually an off-topic "Whaddaboudism"!

(But since I'm in such an unusually good mood today, I won't report it.) Heh! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

There are tons (Hundreds. Even thousands?)... of self-appointed "experts" when it comes to the market. 

I don't follow Krugman because I have not found his advice or predictions on the Stock Market to be particularly helpful-- or even accurate.

And, if fact, IMO that's true of the vast majority of "experts"

So-- practitioners of following the strategy of "whaddaboutism" can find numerous examples of some outlier to attempt to approve a point. But why should we waste time listening to any self-annointed expert-- when IMO his advice. more often than not, is worthless (at least to me as I'm more interested in being successful in my trading that I am discussing irrelevant political issues...and any attempt to prove tjhemselves "right" and anyone who disagrees to be wrong)). 

Significance of your remark re: Krugman in terms of the actual topic here? You ain't got nutin'! 

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.5  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    3 years ago

Gains off the bottom of the "Trump's Crash"...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.5    3 years ago
Gains off the bottom of the "Trump's Crash"...

Actually, and more importantly, factually, the gains were for the entire year, not after the market dipped.

Not one thing to do with any alleged "crash".

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.3    3 years ago
Did you forget the double digit gains the overall stock market had last year?

WTF does that have to do with the subject of this seed?

Which is:

The Three Major Stock Market Indexes Closed At New Record Highs Monday

This seed is about the current performance of the Stock market-- whats happening now.

But I am looking at it from the perspective as a trader/investor who wants to do well-- not someone trying to make political points.

(Heck, if wanted to try to make a political point, I could find some example in the past when it did very well under a Democrat-- or when it did poorly. Ditto for republicans).

I'm not interested in any past "whataaboudisms.  I'm interested in the current situation!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @4.1.7    3 years ago

Did you forget the double digit  gains   the overall stock market had last year?

Did you forget about what was happening in the past -- when one of the best businesses to invest in were companies that made buggy whips?

Of course that was before the invention of "the horseless carriage"?)

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @4.1.7    3 years ago
WTF does that have to do with the subject of this seed?

Perhaps you should read my initial post and what I was responding TO.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.6    3 years ago

Obviously you're not too familiar with the market.

I suggest you do a stock market chart showing what happened on the days from Feb 19 to 25th,, 2020.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @4.1.10    3 years ago

Wow, one HELL of a crash.

The market barely survived it, and only posted yet another double digit GAIN for the entire year.

Really some crash there!

LOL.

Aren't savvy investors told to stay the course and not react to every little market hiccup?

Look, I get that it must be tough to admit the market did okay under Trump.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @4.1.10    3 years ago
Obviously you're not too familiar with the market.

I am all ears if you want to take a shot at explaining what a crash has to do with the market posting an overall double-digit gain.

Are you suggesting that the market wouldn't have gained without the crash?