╌>

NewsTalkers Vaccine Poll

Category:  Other

By:  dig  •  3 years ago  •  98 comments

NewsTalkers Vaccine Poll

Don't forget to hit the little 'vote' button after each question. The one between them can go unnoticed pretty easily when you're scrolling down the page.

What is your Covid-19 vaccine status?

Voting has Ended
Select
Option
Votes
One dose of Moderna, planning to get second.
One dose of Moderna, NOT planning to get second.
Two doses of Moderna (fully vaccinated).
One dose of Pfizer, planning to get second.
One dose of Pfizer, NOT planning to get second.
Two doses of Pfizer (fully vaccinated).
Single dose of Johnson & Johnson (fully vaccinated).
Something available outside the U.S. (AstraZeneca, Novavax, etc.)
Not vaccinated, but planning to be.
Not vaccinated, not going to be.

If fully vaccinated, did you experience any significant side effects such as fever, chills, nausea, body aches, etc?

Voting has Ended
Select
Option
Votes
Moderna - More so after the first dose.
Moderna - More so after the second dose.
Moderna - After both doses equally.
Moderna - No significant side effects after either dose.
Pfizer - More so after the first dose.
Pfizer - More so after the second dose.
Pfizer - After both doses equally.
Pfizer - No significant side effects after either dose.
Johnson & Johnson - After single dose.
Johnson & Johnson - No significant side effects after single dose.
Outside the U.S. (AstraZeneca, Novavax, etc.) - More so after the first (or only) dose.
Outside the U.S. (AstraZeneca, Novavax, etc.) - More so after the second dose (if applicable).
Outside the U.S. (AstraZeneca, Novavax, etc.) - After both doses equally (if applicable).
Outside the U.S. (AstraZeneca, Novavax, etc.) - No significant side effects after any dose.
Not yet fully vaccinated, but did experience side effects after the first dose (of any vaccine).
Not yet fully vaccinated, but did NOT experience side effects after the first dose (of any vaccine).
Not vaccinated, not going to be.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Dig
Professor Participates
1  author  Dig    3 years ago

Other than tenderness at the injection site, my first dose of Moderna was side effect free. The second one gave me a low fever and chills that lasted about a day.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dig @1    3 years ago

Yup, that was me, too. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Dig @1    3 years ago
my first dose of Moderna was side effect free.

So was mine.

The second one gave me a low fever and chills that lasted about a day.

I was only feeling tired. I slept it off.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    3 years ago

Us too, lol.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.2  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.1    3 years ago

I still had some THC vape juice left, so I don't remember...

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Dig @1    3 years ago

Same here except instead of a fever I just had a small case of the chills for a few hours

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Dig @1    3 years ago

After the second Moderna, I felt like I had been used as a human punching bag.  I just stayed in bed.  By the next day I was fine.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Dig @1    3 years ago

After my first Pfizer injection I felt generally unwell and really tired.  Didn't last more than about a day.  After the second and final dose, I didn't feel any effects at all.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    3 years ago

I got two doses of Pfizer in April.  After the second shot I felt somewhat ill the next day, like I would with a normal flu. It only lasted one day. 

evilone
Professor Guide
3  evilone    3 years ago

Slight ache in the area of the shot the first time for a day (no different than any other shot).

I was sore as hell after the 2nd shot, but I don't know how much was from the shot and how much was from the physical work putting in a new door and rebuilding most of the outside wall I did that day. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    3 years ago

I received the Moderna vaccine because that was what was available.  I didn't have a preference.

There wasn't any ache or pain in my arm from either injection unless I bumped into something.  The best way I can describe the aftereffect of the vaccine was it felt like I hadn't gotten enough sleep and that lasted less than a day.  The two doses didn't interfere with my normal activities at all.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5  Just Jim NC TttH    3 years ago

I had the Moderna. After first shot just sore arm..................until 3:00 the next afternoon. Started shivering so much I almost couldn't operate my computer mouse. Went home. 103 fever and slept for 2 1/2 hour and thought I was waking up the next morning after 14 hours. I was delusional but the next morning I was okay except for some brain fog.

Second shot, woke up the next morning with 102 fever, body aches, headache, lasted pretty much all day.

I may not have even had to get it because I had such a severe case when I had Covid but my doctor said why not. If you all knew or remember, I spent 16 days in the hospital (first week in ICU with the threat of intubation) and the following 11 days with the local hospital's "Healthy at Home" program with 2 paramedic visits, 2 nurse phone calls for vitals, and one virtual doctor visit EVERY DAY with an oxygen generator.

And I had tested positive last October but was asymptomatic............

The only reason I didn't have the shots prior was schedule availability

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    3 years ago

Wife got the J&J some time back and was down with classic flu symptoms for almost four days. Vomiting, headache, body ache, fever never really rose above normal but she was bad sick.

**Had to edit my post above as it read like I was in the hospital care for 11 weeks instead of days

Dig
Professor Participates
5.2  author  Dig  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5    3 years ago
 If you all knew or remember, I spent 16 days in the hospital (first week in ICU with the threat of intubation) and the following 11 days with the local hospital's "Healthy at Home" program

I did not know that. Wow. Scary stuff. Bet that was hell to go through. 

If there's a bright side, having natural antibodies combined with a vaccine might make you completely impervious to another bout of severe illness. For a good while, at least.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Dig @5.2    3 years ago

it indeed was hell.............First three days in, I was under the impression I had been there three weeks. The affect on the mind was boggling.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
6  Snuffy    3 years ago

Slight arm pain after the first shot,  mild headache that lasted the day after the second shot.  That was it.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7  Greg Jones    3 years ago

Had a moderate case of Covid back in early November and spent 8 days in hospital. By moderate I mean I did not feel all that bad, but it took awhile to get the oxygen saturation up due to some preexisting COPD

Had both doses of Moderna.

Some mild pain at the injection site and a bit of fever both times

Kavika
Professor Principal
8  Kavika     3 years ago

I had a bit of soreness around the injection site both times but no more than a normal shot. 

My wife had a low-grade fever overnight after the second shot (Moderna)

Ender
Professor Principal
8.1  Ender  replied to  Kavika @8    3 years ago
I had a bit of soreness around the injection site both times but no more than a normal shot. 

Same.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9  sandy-2021492    3 years ago

First dose of Pfizer - just a sore arm.  Very minor.  Some mild all-over muscle tension the next day.  Nothing that made me want to take an Advil or anything.

Second dose - just run over me with a truck, why doncha?  101 temp, severe chills.  Worn out the next day from shivering so much.  By the next evening, I felt normal.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
9.1  Ronin2  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    3 years ago

My mother had the Pfizer- first dose took her down for 3 days

Second dose if was a week.

She isn't going to get their "booster shot". It just isn't worth it to her to be out of commission that long.

Dig
Professor Participates
9.2  author  Dig  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    3 years ago
Second dose - just run over me with a truck, why doncha?  101 temp, severe chills.

LOL. I had to take a long, hot shower to make my teeth stop chattering. Just once, though. It wasn't so bad after.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @9.2    3 years ago

That lasted all night for me.  I was in my recliner wearing my warmest pajamas, with a heating pad on top of me, along with a thick fleece throw, and the dog was on my lap.  And I was freezing.  I went to bed with the electric blanket on high.  And froze.  Next morning, I was fine.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
9.2.2  TᵢG  replied to  Dig @9.2    3 years ago

Wow, sorry to hear that ... Sandy too.

My wife took Pfizer and only experienced a little soreness in her arm the next day.    Dodged a bullet it seems.

Dig
Professor Participates
9.2.3  author  Dig  replied to  TᵢG @9.2.2    3 years ago

So far even this poll shows that quite a few people suffer no side effects.

Lucky bastages. :)

My fever and chills weren't as bad as Sandy's, but still I'd rather not have had them. 

Makes me wonder what a third dose booster will be like for everyone.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9.2.4  sandy-2021492  replied to  Dig @9.2.3    3 years ago

I'll take a booster if it's recommended. But I'll get it on a Friday, so I have the weekend to recover.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10  Tacos!    3 years ago

I got Moderna and had a sore arm the first time. The second time, I had more pain, but also numbness and tingling in various parts of my arm that last for a few days. I was a little freaked out for a couple of days because of what was going on with a friend at the same time:

The worst I have heard was a friend of mine who ended up in the hospital diagnosed with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. She actually lost all feeling in her body from about the shoulders down. She may have been the first person in the world to have this reaction - at the time, there was no record of it anyway. Over the course of several days (and now weeks) she has improved a lot. She can walk around and function now, although I don’t know if she is 100%.

The Guillain-Barre thing is not specific to Covid vaccines, though. Turns out this is a reaction that has been observed in some extremely small number of people for decades. They don’t seem to know precisely why it happens, but apparently, it can be a reaction to any vaccine. My friend is lucky. Some people have suffered pretty severe permanent disability from a shot.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @10    3 years ago
The Guillain-Barre thing is not specific to Covid vaccines, though. Turns out this is a reaction that has been observed in some extremely small number of people for decades. They don’t seem to know precisely why it happens, but apparently, it can be a reaction to any vaccine. My friend is lucky. Some people have suffered pretty severe permanent disability from a shot.

This is very true, and I was going to say something about it. Most people have never heard of Guillain-Barre, but you can get it from just getting a virus of any type. I had a mild case when I was a teen after having Chicken Pox.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
10.2  bccrane  replied to  Tacos! @10    3 years ago

Got the Moderna also, was sore in the arm both times and felt a little off after the second for a couple days.

My brother will not get the vaccinations, he has had severe reactions to vaccines in the past, and also had Guillain-Barre Syndrome after contracting Lyme's disease back in the nineties.  It was bad, his entire body went numb and they had to do 3 plasma transfusions in an attempt to change out all of his plasma.  I was there for his last transfusion.  They start by draining your blood through a machine the removes the plasma, he was talking to us as this was happening then he would just go out like a light, then they started returning the blood with new plasma and he would just turn back on where he left off.  He was worried that it wasn't working because his throat was all scratchy and sore, I asked him if he could feel  his throat before, he said no, so I told him yeah I think it's working the numbness was going away. 

CB
Professor Principal
10.2.1  CB  replied to  bccrane @10.2    3 years ago

Wow. Interesting story about why some people can't - won't get the vaccine. Very dramatic.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
10.2.2  Tacos!  replied to  bccrane @10.2    3 years ago

I'm pretty militant about getting people vaccinated.

I think to be fair, though, we should acknowledge that there are people in the world - like your brother - who can have terrible reactions to these shots. Still, those people are a very tiny percentage of the populace.

Notwithstanding our experiences, I would guess that the great bulk of people claiming some medical jeopardy from the shot are actually full of shit. If everyone without a genuine medical issue would get vaccinated, I think we could put this thing to bed, even without the under-12 kids being vaccinated.

shona1
PhD Quiet
10.2.3  shona1  replied to  Tacos! @10.2.2    3 years ago

Absolutely... there are people with medical conditions and I am one...so I watched with great interest what was happening in the US and UK.

I had time on my side and at the end of the day can only be guided by the medical doctors and my own knowledge...and I was happy with that...

As for implanting micro chips the cat was happy I could not swap with hers...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
11  pat wilson    3 years ago

Had covid in December 2020. Had blood tested April 1 and June 22. Both times tested positive for antibodies.

Baron Creek
Junior Quiet
12  Baron Creek    3 years ago

Wife and I had both doses of the Pfizer vaccine in February, with no issues. Paying close attention to the potential need of 3rd dose. 

CB
Professor Principal
13  CB    3 years ago

Moderna x 2 shots. Injection site pain only. No other signs that I can call out (for shot purposes alone). Will probably "keep up with my shots" as normal each year with any additional shot needed.

charger 383
Professor Silent
14  charger 383    3 years ago

Got J&J back in March, no side effects.  I had CV19 before they knew what was and sick for a week and tired and did not feel right for a month

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
14.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  charger 383 @14    3 years ago

I swear I had it the full Christmas week. Stayed in bed most of the time. Only time I got out of bed was Christmas afternoon. But then for me to get it again in early April didn't make much sense. Doctor still thinks I had a variant of the original in April because of the severity

TᵢG
Professor Principal
15  TᵢG    3 years ago

My Moderna vaccination (both doses) was without issue.   A little soreness the next day but truly minor.   No ill effects at all.

shona1
PhD Quiet
16  shona1    3 years ago

Morning. Had my first injection of astra zeneca last Friday.

Did not even feel the injection go in and had no side effects what so ever. I expected the worst, but nothing happened. Will be getting the second injection in a couple of weeks time.

Dig
Professor Participates
16.1  author  Dig  replied to  shona1 @16    3 years ago

Hi Shona. I hope the second one goes just as well for you.

Ender
Professor Principal
16.1.1  Ender  replied to  Dig @16.1    3 years ago

I don't think we have that shot here, do we?

Dig
Professor Participates
16.1.2  author  Dig  replied to  Ender @16.1.1    3 years ago

Nope. As far as I know only the Moderna, Pfizer, and J&J vaccines have received emergency use authorization here so far.

I was looking at a list of vaccines from around the world earlier, and there are a bunch of other ones out there, several dozen at least, either already in use or still under development.

CB
Professor Principal
16.1.3  CB  replied to  Dig @16.1.2    3 years ago

We have-had stockpiles of the Astra Zeneca vaccine, but a judgement was made to use the 'top' three and since we have 'sufficiency' share Astra Zeneca with other "needy" countries in South America et ceteras.:

US to share AstraZeneca shots with world after safety check

By ZEKE MILLER   April 26, 2021
WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. will begin sharing its entire stock of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines with the world once it clears federal safety reviews, the White House said Monday, with as many as 60 million doses expected to be available for export in the coming months.The move greatly expands on the Biden administration’s action last month to share about 4 million doses of the vaccine with Mexico and Canada. The AstraZeneca vaccine is widely in use around the world but has not yet been authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.4  shona1  replied to  Ender @16.1.1    3 years ago

Morning ender.no far as I know you don't.we have also got Pfizer as well but they are using that for the under 60s as there are concerns about blood clots with astra...

Unfortunately a couple of people have died from the vaccine due to blood clots...but that is the same with any vaccine...

I would rather have it than not..if anyone basically wants to drown because they can't get their breath, then go for it. I had a chest infection a few weeks ago ended up in hospital on oxygen for the first time in my life..and having to sit up through the night because you have a feeling of drowning is rather horrendous.

We have got outbreaks of the virus in Melbourne and my State Victoria..we are in lock down at the moment...and in New South Wales they are also in lock down..

Ender
Professor Principal
16.1.5  Ender  replied to  shona1 @16.1.4    3 years ago

I would have taken what was given as well. The risk is kinda small.

Sorry to hear that. My Aunt had to lay at an angle at night as when she would lay down flat she could not breath. Said it is the worse feeling she ever had.

Hope you are doing a lot better.

Here, even though cases are on the rise, they are determined to open everything back up.

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.6  shona1  replied to  Ender @16.1.5    3 years ago

Thanks ender..all good now and back to normal. Have to go back to Melbourne on Tuesday for a bone marrow biopsy but have no concerns about going there.

Hope your aunt has recovered and yes I know exactly how she felt...

So to all the anti vaxers I would not wish that feeling on anyone...but if you want to experience it, it is one you won't forget, if you survive..

Ender
Professor Principal
16.1.7  Ender  replied to  shona1 @16.1.6    3 years ago

I just thought of something. When I was in, I don't remember exactly, maybe 5th or 6th year of school we had this program where we all had a penpal from Australia. Someone where we would correspond with letters. I was one of the last people to get assigned a person and they told me, we are out of boys so you have to have a girl.  Haha

We actually kept sending letters for several years.

shona1
PhD Quiet
16.1.8  shona1  replied to  Ender @16.1.7    3 years ago

Yes penpals...I had one in Scotland and one in PNG..many moons ago now...had to wait weeks for a reply...bit different now.

When my grand parents migrated here took 6 weeks for a letter to arrive from England in the 1920's..

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
17  Raven Wing    3 years ago

I had no side affects from the first Pfizer vaccination. And with the second dose of Pfizer all I had was a bit of soreness in the area of the arm where I got the shot that only lasted for the day after I got it. I was fully prepared for the shots to hurt, but, I really didn't feel either one. It was all over and done with while I was still waiting to get the shot, which really surprised me. When the Pfizer booster becomes available I will get that as well. And this from someone who really hates needles. But, hurt or not, side affects or not, I will not be so foolish to put my family at risk.

Ender
Professor Principal
17.1  Ender  replied to  Raven Wing @17    3 years ago

The needles they use are really small.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
18  bbl-1    3 years ago

Pfizer administered by the VA.  Slight soreness, went to work afterward, no big deal.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19  Transyferous Rex    3 years ago

I'm mixed on it. CDCs wonder search shows that there have been over 31,000 events of death, disability, or life threatening illness following the COVID vaccine. If you open the search up to all vaccines, you get a return of 85,104. Those numbers date back to 1990. 

I know its easy to say "but look at the alternative." I personally know someone that died following the vaccine, and three more that have suffered severe life threatening reactions. Per the CDC, over a third of the severe adverse events since 1990 are attributable (although they put their disclaimer on it) to the COVID vaccine.

My mom died during all of this mess. Had the virus around the end of the year, didn't know she had it, and only discovered because she went in for routine check up, and they tested her. She got vaccinated...died from a pulmonary embolism. Not saying the vaccine killed her, or that the pulmonary embolism was a for sure result of the vaccine, but the timing is shit, and certainly makes one wonder. As an aside, her death is what prompted me to start digging around on the CDCs page. 

The CDC VAERS page has a link to a spreadsheet, containing over 400,000 entries of adverse events. Not all are life threatening, but shit, 400,000? I'm not an anti vaccination guy, but, given the above numbers, I don't think anyone can be chastised for squinting at the vaccine. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
19.1  shona1  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19    3 years ago

Morning Trans...at the end of the day it is your decision and yours alone so be at peace with it.

To be honest I watched what was happening overseas before making my decision.

We are far enough away, the tyranny of distance was on our side for once.

What happened in Italy where it wiped out whole familes, Europe was a basket case.. was enough for me... England hell they were a bigger mess....but the biggest shock of all was the US and the hundreds of thousands that have died..I never expected that in a million years.

As they say sometimes to much info is a dangerous thing. So sieve out the crap from the fact and go for it either way.

Everyone I know has had no reaction, or aches the next day, slight fevers or just felt off. Yes people have died here from the vaccine, most have underlying medical issues and some don't...

We have Astra Zeneca here in Australia and Pfizer...I have multiple myeloma so if anyone was going to cop it, I thought well it is going to be me...Nothing happened but I have the second injection in a few weeks time.

The other thing is I do not want to be responsible for passing it on to family, friends or any individual and causing them grief.

But the feeling of literally drowning and not been able to breath, even on oxygen, is the most heart thumping and sickening feeling I have experienced...this was an ordinary chest infection corona is ten times worse I was told..my decision was made...time to get the vaccine after that. I waited long enough.

Stay safe and stay well...and good luck either way...

CB
Professor Principal
19.1.1  CB  replied to  shona1 @19.1    3 years ago

Life is a risk 'factor' even in modern times. I am glad you are "in" on the vaccination routines. Of course, I am sending you my best wishes, hopes, and aspirations in all of this that you are experiencing.

Stay safe and stay well. . . .

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.1.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  shona1 @19.1    3 years ago

Both of my parents got the vaccine. Dad is fine, and as far as I know, had no issues whatsoever with it. 

The other thing is I do not want to be responsible for passing it on to family, friends or any individual and causing them grief.

I appreciate that. Purposely stayed away from my parents damn near all of 2020. They both ended up testing positive for it, so we started meeting after that. 

Here's to an uneventful second shot.

CB
Professor Principal
19.2  CB  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19    3 years ago

What "decided" me to take the shots? It was just too much news, too many deaths, too much sickness, —for too long! I did remember something: I take all my other 'annuals.' And that in itself could be a line of demarcation between me and some people who do not have a "regular" vaccination schedule. I trust my healthcare professionals to give me the best that they have because they have been doing so for years.

Another line of demarcation between me and some others may be that I stay up on the discussion of what is in the MRNA (no virus particles itself). It is strictly 'new' medicine/technology use of RNA.

Thirdly, I lagged behind (April 2021) as others in the medical industry, nursing homes, and older seniors, went ahead of me. I was not on the 'cutting edge' - anyone getting the shots  now is considered a 'laggard' —like me.

Lastly, I am building confidence (loosing up my guard only a little bit for now) in this new medicine as I have had it oh three months now.

Oh, I still mask, because I don't trust people to be honest about their 'statuses'  - I know people can let me down; lie, "have their way with me," and be partially vaccinated calling it full vaccination.

Overall, we can only do the best that we can. Life is not a guarantee. This virus (and any other new one of the future) is a reminder that ultimately life is tenuous and fragile.

(Smile.)

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.2.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  CB @19.2    3 years ago
I trust my healthcare professionals to give me the best that they have because they have been doing so for years.

As do I CB. I only know one doc that is on board with it. My personal doc told me to my face, that they'd fire him before he took it. He's a good doctor, probably the best I've had. 

Dig
Professor Participates
19.2.2  author  Dig  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19.2.1    3 years ago
My personal doc told me to my face, that they'd fire him before he took it.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Your doctor is an antivaxxer?

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.2.3  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Dig @19.2.2    3 years ago
I don't understand what you're saying here. Your doctor is an antivaxxer?

Not at all. He's not on board with the COVID vaccine though. 

bccrane
Freshman Silent
19.3  bccrane  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19    3 years ago

I would say that 31,000 number is there because of massive number of those who got vaccinated, I don't believe you could find another vaccination with distribution this large.

My sister knows of someone that died just after the vaccination, but you have to wonder, people die, was it the vaccine or the coincidence of it being their time.

My son will be getting the vaccine soon, but he waited to see what his mother and my reaction was to it.  We're fine after 3 months, but I did tell him to remember the "double-tap" rule.

CB
Professor Principal
19.3.1  CB  replied to  bccrane @19.3    3 years ago
"double-tap" rule

What is the "double-tap rule"?

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.3.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  bccrane @19.3    3 years ago

There were between 194 and 198 million flu vaccines given last year. I'm not going to look at how many have been given since 1990, but I'd be willing to bet that it is above 3 trillion. I don't think it would be too hard to find hundreds of vaccines that have been given more times over the course of the last 30 years.

My sister knows of someone that died just after the vaccination, but you have to wonder, people die, was it the vaccine or the coincidence of it being their time.

You do have to wonder. My mom never had any known issues with blood clots...until she died from one. The CDC admits a link to myocarditis, although they are playing the seriousness of it down now. With all due respect to the family of the football player from Philly, and not making any suggestion as to the cause of his death, I have concern about my sons, who all are actively involved in athletics, and I know would not tell their coach that they are experiencing any difficulty until it is too late. 

Who the hell do you listen to? The WHO says that people the age of my children should not get the vaccine. 

shona1
PhD Quiet
19.3.3  shona1  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19.3.2    3 years ago

Morning Trans..what they have said here if it is an help.. people aged between 40 and 60 or with blood issues should get Pfizer..

As you mob don't have Astra Zeneca anyone gets that one here. Currently my State Victoria we are in lock down as is New South Wales got an out break and it is spreading...this is our 5th lock down so know the drill..

As I said do what is comfortable for you and sounds like you have done all the right things...re your parents...sorry about your mum.

Keep well, safe and with what ever you decide...be at peace with it..😷😷

bccrane
Freshman Silent
19.3.4  bccrane  replied to  CB @19.3.1    3 years ago

You never just shoot a zombie once, you always shoot them twice.  In the movies the zombies always get back up, so the "double-tap" rule from the movie Zombieland.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
19.3.5  bccrane  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19.3.2    3 years ago

My son is 23 years old, and maybe doing the drive with me and others from Michigan to Tennessee and then Tennessee to Alabama later this fall.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
19.4  Split Personality  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19    3 years ago

400,000out of 217 million?

I think that is 00.0018%

31,000 out of 217 million?

I think that is 000.00014%

My Ex died after a short bout of flu.  She lived with her mother and a live in cook/maid/hairdresser. They didn't see the EX for a few days and the bedroom door was locked. Police came. Coroner came. Coroner says it's not a crime scene and they don't have the COVID test kits to waste on the deceased.

That skews the numbers.

My wife's Ex had a similar experience.  He had a rough year, beat colon cancer only to find it spread to his stomach, In and out of the hospital, a life time chain smoker, he finally had to quit when he was in hospital for a week in July.  Started having breathing issues. Tested negative for COVID in August.  Back in the hospital for a lung biopsy in September, they were short on beds, they put him in the COVID ward for a week.  He was able to live at home with twice a week nurse visits. In November he developed a nasty cough, fever and breathing dificulties. Two ambulance trips to the hospital and released within a day. He was dead the next day when the nurse came. She wanted him retested for COVID.  Coroner said no, not enough kits for the living.

That  skews the numbers.

One of the lawyers my wife works for refused the vaccine and the mask. He died in the COVID unit at a hospital in Dallas in December.

His wife barely survived and requires 24/7 care.

It might be a crap shoot either way, but so is driving to work, wearing a seat belt, smoking etc.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.4.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Split Personality @19.4    3 years ago

Split, it would be 0.18% and 0.014%.

Regardless, I'm still mixed. I know some docs in a prominent facility in Houston that are adamant...do not get the vaccine. I trust their expertise more than mine, based on the above stats. Still, I don't think anyone needs to be a doctor to look at those numbers and squint. More than 1/3 of the deaths or life threatening events over the last three decades are attributable to a group of vaccines administered less than a year. 

Saw a story out of Boston, talking about breakthrough cases, touting that only 0.1% of fully vaccinated people have tested positive, and only 74 of those have died. Oddly enough, only around 0.1% of the population has tested positive for COVID, vaccinated or not. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
19.4.2  Split Personality  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19.4.1    3 years ago

I read and heard that 99.5% of the 600,000 dead were not vaccinated.

That equates to your 31,000 assuming the Covid deaths are not under reported.

If the true number of deceased is higher it increases the efficiency of the vaccine.

Pretty clear to me to get the vaccine.

It's safer than many everyday activities.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19.4.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Split Personality @19.4    3 years ago

My uncle passed away (trauma, not Covid) in November.  After his funeral, one of my cousins went to visit an aunt who had flown in from Texas to WV for the funeral at her hotel room.  My aunt flew back to Texas the next morning, and that same morning, my cousin started getting sick - tested positive for Covid.  My aunt had the same symptoms and developed pneumonia, but was sent home from the hospital even while she was still really sick.  They didn't test her for Covid while she was hospitalized.  Weeks later, when she was still weak enough to need home nursing care, she was finally tested for antibodies to Covid - she had a positive antibody test.  She had Covid pneumonia that was undiagnosed at the time, because the hospital refused to test her, despite knowing that she'd travelled by plane and been exposed to a known Covid patient.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
19.5  Tacos!  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19    3 years ago
CDCs wonder search shows that there have been over 31,000 events of death

I don’t know what you’re referencing , but here at this link, the CDC is saying it’s about 6,000 deaths after receiving the vaccine. However, it’s not clear if any of those deaths were actually  caused by the vaccine. Sometimes people just die because they died from something else and it’s a coincidence that they were also vaccinated. 

Keep in mind that is 6,000 deaths after over 334 million doses. 0.0018%. The regular flu is about that deadly.

I know its easy to say "but look at the alternative."

Sure it’s easy. It’s easy because the difference is so dramatic.

Even if we accepted that 31,000 number as accurate, more than ten times that number have died from Covid since the vaccines came out in December. However, over 99.5% (I’ve also see it reported as 99.8%) of those people were unvaccinated . Many more, who got sick but survived, suffer long term effects from the disease - for example, lung scarring worse than is typically seen even in smokers.

Meanwhile, each infected person - serious complications or not - creates an opportunity for the virus to mutate and become even more contagious or deadly.

Unless somebody has an obvious and clear medical reason not to, I don’t know why people would put off getting vaccinated. It’s good for them and everyone they come into contact with (and everyone they come into contact with).

The CDC VAERS page has a link to a spreadsheet, containing over 400,000 entries of adverse events. Not all are life threatening

In fact, almost none of them are life-threatening and they occur extremely rarely - on the order of a handful of people per million. Your odds against the virus are far worse.

bccrane
Freshman Silent
19.5.1  bccrane  replied to  Tacos! @19.5    3 years ago

The 31,000 number wasn't just deaths, it was serious side effects as well as deaths.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.5.2  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Tacos! @19.5    3 years ago

The 31,000 includes more than deaths. 

Sometimes people just die because they died from something else and it’s a coincidence that they were also vaccinated. 

We could go the other way and replace vaccinated with COVID positive. 

Meanwhile, each infected person - serious complications or not - creates an opportunity for the virus to mutate

Look, I can appreciate that. Perhaps I should have prefaced with this. My family has had the virus, yet we are still getting pushed to also get vaccinated. College is mandating my son get vaccinated before arriving on campus. That doesn't sit well with me. Apparently, the below is full of shit?

CDC isn't too up front with its data on natural immunity, nor its position.

Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again.  

So, even if I've had it, and have natural immunity, I should get the vaccine, run the risk of having a severe reaction to the vaccine, all for the purpose of not being in the rare number that get infected again after having COVID? Experts don't know how long natural immunity lasts...okay, I can believe that.

Immunity after COVID-19 vaccination

• There is still a lot we are learning about COVID-19 vaccines and CDC is constantly reviewing evidence and updating guidance. We don’t know how long protection lasts for those who are vaccinated.

But, experts don't know how long immunity lasts after the vaccine either.

Basically, the CDC's position is "fuck natural immunity." I don't get that. Again, my mom was vaccinated, after she had COVID. I can't say for certain, but I'd bet she had immunity. Why the hell did she need to be vaccinated also? Died from a blood clot. Coincidence that she got the vaccine and died from a blood clot? Maybe. At some point the vaccine pushing starts to look like a cult. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
19.5.3  Tacos!  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19.5.2    3 years ago

I agree that for people who have been sick and recovered, recommending a vaccination seems strange. I was already nervous about the vaccine’s side effects and I think I would have been much more hesitant to get it if I had already had Covid. So that is at least a hesitancy I can find rational. I doubt our new spike in cases is because previously sick people didn’t get vaccinated.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.5.4  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Tacos! @19.5.3    3 years ago

Apparently, the CDC is not overly crazy about the notion of a booster, because of the risks associated with the vaccine. It's almost like its saying "you dodged the bullet with the 2nd shot...don't temp a third just yet."

I'm not going to try and talk someone out of getting vaccinated. I encouraged our office manager to get vaccinated. For me, for now, I don't think it's time.

Dig
Professor Participates
19.6  author  Dig  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19    3 years ago

Sorry about your mom. 

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.6.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Dig @19.6    3 years ago

Thank you.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19.7  sandy-2021492  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19    3 years ago
CDCs wonder search shows that there have been over 31,000 events of death, disability, or life threatening illness following the COVID vaccine. If you open the search up to all vaccines, you get a return of 85,104. Those numbers date back to 1990. 

The thing is, ALL adverse events are reported, with no real way of determining whether they're due to the vaccine or not.  And this is the first vaccine I can remember when VAERS has actively sought feedback from so many people - I was given a QR code to scan with my phone, and signed up to answer questions at intervals after my vaccine.  One day when the text came through, I had a mild headache.  I reported it, so it shows up in the adverse events stats, but was it vaccine-related?  Likely not.  I have chronic sinus congestion and a job that's hard on my eyes sometimes.  It's not rare for me to have a headache.  I don't have them any more often now than I did before the vaccine.  But in the interest of statistical integrity, I reported it.

It's easier with this vaccine to report adverse events than it has been with any other - most of us have the means to do so at our fingertips.  It is not unexpected that ease and publicity have led to increased reports, with no real way to determine whether those reports were of legitimately vaccine-related events.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.7.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  sandy-2021492 @19.7    3 years ago
And this is the first vaccine I can remember when VAERS has actively sought feedback from so many people

I can agree with tone of that, but they track, and have been tracking, adverse events. The interest people have in the VAERS could also be related to the fact that there have been an increased number of adverse events.

But, as I suggested to Tacos, the CDC is pushing the vaccine, even if you have had the virus. The position on the CDC's website is basically "we don't know how long natural immunity lasts, and there is a rare chance you could get infected again," which is basically the CDC position on the vaccine. I'm really not sure what to make of it. Does the science say that natural immunity is a pile of shit? The CDC is sure treating it that way. Why? 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
19.7.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19.7.1    3 years ago

Immunity from infection is a bit of an unknown, whereas immunity from vaccination has been studied and followed better.  That's not to say the CDC thinks that natural immunity is worthless.  They just haven't been able to quantify it as well.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
19.7.3  Tessylo  replied to  Transyferous Rex @19.7.1    3 years ago

Nothing cult like about it.  To be safe you should get the vaccine. 

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
19.7.4  Transyferous Rex  replied to  sandy-2021492 @19.7.2    3 years ago
Immunity from infection is a bit of an unknown, whereas immunity from vaccination has been studied and followed better.

They have been studying immunity since early last year. NIH recently put out a study, showing potential for natural immunity for up to a year. The CDC's position oil vaccine immunity is the same as for natural immunity. They claim to not know for either, but you better get vaccinated, even if you have some natural immunity. According to the CDC, don't get the booster though, known side effects occur with 2 shots, a third might bring on some really severe side effects.

Dragon
Freshman Silent
20  Dragon    3 years ago

Husband and I had 2 doses of Pfizer in April. My arm was a bit sore after first, like most shots I get. Neither one of us had any side effects, thank goodness. 

Freewill
Junior Quiet
21  Freewill    3 years ago

Pfizer - both doses no side effects at all.  A little bit of "dead arm" several weeks after on the injection side, but then again I got beaned with a fast ball up and in on the same arm a week after the vaccine.  So tough to pinpoint causality. My biggest fear was waking up with the condition known as "hot dog fingers". jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

Did get sick about a month or so after the second shot but I'm thinking it was a sinus infection.  Been there, done that, know what it feels like. 

My wife says I'm " shedding spike proteins " whatever the fuck that means.  If she means losing my gray hair, then she is dead nuts on. 

She also wanted to see if a magnet would stick to my injection site after both shots.  So I thought I'd play a trick on her and glue it to my arm.  Jokes on me... Gorilla Glue is the real deal.... 

shona1
PhD Quiet
21.1  shona1  replied to  Freewill @21    3 years ago

Morning Free...You have made my morning... Gorilla glue...

Just as well you did not glue them somewhere else...jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Freewill
Junior Quiet
22  Freewill    3 years ago

Just for fun....because it's Friday....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
23  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

England has developed a blood test that can determine which people who have been vaccinated will have extended side effects.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
25  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

Here, 99% plus of new infections, hospitalizations, and deaths are from non vaccinated people.  I hope the 4 anti vaxers here realize that they are playing with fire.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
25.1  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @25    3 years ago

Not only playing with fire, but risk burning others. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
25.2  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @25    3 years ago

Here in Maryland everything was going down, numbers were looking good for the first time since January.  Now it's all on an uptick with testing positive/hospitalizations/deaths.  Is it because of the Delta variant or is it those who refuse to get vaccinated?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
25.2.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Tessylo @25.2    3 years ago

Same in Virginia.  We're seeing an increase in new infections and positivity rate.

Bob Nelson
Professor Guide
26  Bob Nelson    3 years ago

I often hear things like, "I can't trust 'experts' who are changing their advice all the time." I have trouble staying calm....

The situation is constantly changing. New variants. New treatments. Anyone who says they have "the" answer is either a fool or a huckster. In a constantly changing context, a genuine expert will necessarily be giving constantly changing advice. 

CB
Professor Principal
26.1  CB  replied to  Bob Nelson @26    3 years ago

Correct! And this is what some people do not comprehend a science: Science does not speak in terms of CERTAINTY about unknowns. It will give an ASSESSMENT based upon historical recordings and current data. That is, today's "up" can stay current up until a change is observed.

There is no need for people to feel "betrayed" by science. Science is not pretending, "acting," or intending to be a friend of anybody. It simply is what it is. In conclusion, go with it in that manner.

(Some of my "friends of science" what say you to that?)

Dig
Professor Participates
27  author  Dig    3 years ago

It's been a  week and voting has closed. My thanks to all who participated, especially to those who shared their experiences with side effects in the comments.

As far as I'm concerned, this was a highly informative exercise. It might even help some of our fellow unvaccinated members take the plunge, with knowledge directly from online friends or acquaintances about what they might expect afterwards.

Well done, everyone.