╌>

Tommy Chong stunned he got more prison time than Capitol-storming Trump loyalist

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  hal-a-lujah  •  3 years ago  •  12 comments

By:   Brian Niemietz

Tommy Chong stunned he got more prison time than Capitol-storming Trump loyalist
Damn, I got 9 months for selling bongs

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

One-time cannabis enthusiast and comedian Tommy Chong had his mind blown by the fact Paul Alan Hodgkins was sentenced to only eight months in the can on a felony charge after storming the U.S. Capitol with a mob attempting to stop the certification of the 2020 presidential election.

“Damn, I got 9 months for selling bongs,” Chong tweeted Monday.

Hodgkins was sentenced Monday morning for his role in the Jan. 6 uprising by Donald Trump loyalists who didn’t believe their candidate lost the election. The 38-year-old Tampa, Fla., man admits making his way into the building was “a foolish decision on my part.”

The judge in the case called the violent uprising an “assault on democracy.”

Chong, 83, was sentenced to nine months at a California Federal, where he was an inmate from October 2003 to July 2004. He pleaded guilty to selling marijuana-smoking paraphernalia on the Internet through his family-owned company Nice Dreams Enterprises.

His cellmate was stock market swindler Jordan Belfort, who became known as “The Wolf of Wall Street,” thanks to a tell-all Chong reportedly encouraged him to write. Martin Scorsese turned that book into a 2013 movie.

“Nice Dreams” was the name of a popular 1981 film from the comedy duo “Cheech and Chong,” which also starred funnyman Cheech Marin.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah    3 years ago

Welcome to America.

Damn, 83 years old and still going strong!!  Go weed!!!

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @1    3 years ago
Go weed!!!

saving republican lives for the last 100 years...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    3 years ago

No doubt we need common sense sentencing reform in this country but 8 months for obstructing an official proceeding vs 9 months for selling marijuana/smoking paraphernalia?

Doesn't sound that far off at all considering current laws at the time.

Hal A. Lujah
Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Hal A. Lujah  replied to  Sparty On @2    3 years ago

And it’s not like the new bongs were loaded with pot or couldn’t be used for tobacco.  I remember once having to stop for gas in a seedy part of town.  I went in to pay because the card reader on the pump was broken.  At the register there was a display of glass tubes with a tiny fake flower in them that was obviously meant for smoking crack.  About half of them had already been sold.  But if you’re Tommy Chong then there’s a problem.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Hal A. Lujah @2.1    3 years ago

Yeah, i really don't disagree.   He most definitely got railroaded because of who he was but complaining about his sentence vs the one this guy got, as a matter of law, is nothing but whining really.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @2.1.1    3 years ago

Nothing but whining?  Oh please.  . . 

JBB
Professor Principal
3  JBB    3 years ago

He is no Nelson Mandela but, the ridiculous federal prosecution and persecution of Tommy Chong for selling bongs will be an embarrassing moral lesson learned from when some overzealous dumbasses criminalized of a mildly intoxicating weed...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @3    3 years ago

Ignorance of the law is never a good excuse.  

Not even for a liberal.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sparty On @3.1    3 years ago

1/6/2021

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @3.1.1    3 years ago

2020 ...... a shitload of rioting/looting throughout big cities in the US ,,,, too many to number. 

Next ......

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    3 years ago

I didn't even know he was in trouble.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1  JBB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    3 years ago

It is old news but the federal government went all out to entrap Chong for selling bongs across state lines. It was ridiculous and really seriously creepy...

Chong ended up serving time and it is a travesty!

What the government did to him was a much worse crime than what he was accused of. They had a whole taskforce working to entrap a comedian...