╌>

Texas Democrat makes 'slave' comparison to Gov. Abbott's arrest threats

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  3 years ago  •  45 comments

By:   Kaelan Deese (MSN)

Texas Democrat makes 'slave' comparison to Gov. Abbott's arrest threats
One of the dozens of Texas Democrats who fled the state to block the passage of GOP-backed election security bills appeared to compare Gov. Greg Abbott's threat to have them arrested upon their return to the pursuit of escaped slaves prior to 1863.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

One of the dozens of Texas Democrats who fled the state to block the passage of GOP-backed election security bills appeared to compare Gov. Greg Abbott's threat to have them arrested upon their return to the pursuit of escaped slaves prior to 1863.

© Provided by Washington Examiner

Abbott, a Republican, previously threatened to arrest the roughly 60 Democratic lawmakers who fled the Lone Star State to Washington, D.C., on July 12. On Friday, State Rep. Senfronia Thompson shot back, saying, "I'm ready to be arrested" and asking, "What do you do to a slave if you don't do nothing but arrest them when they flee?"

The state senator spoke in Alexandria, Virginia, making a declaration that her caucus "refuse[s] to be a hostage."

Democratic lawmakers from the state lobbed attacks against the Texas governor last week for his demands for liberals to return and support the voting bill, which aims to enhance voter identification requirements and limit 24-hour voting. Since they left, the protesting lawmakers have bragged about their "fugitive" status and boasted about their absence from the Texas state Capitol on social media.

When it comes to the institutional knowledge of how far voting rights have come in Texas, we are blessed to know that @Senfronia4Texas has been a guiding light for communities once overlooked and shut out by those who controlled access to the ballot box. #txlegepic.twitter.com/jU61tojQCL
— Texas Democrats (@texasdemocrats) July 16, 2021

The Democrats have spent their extended protest in the nation's capital this month speaking with Vice President Kamala Harris and other Democratic lawmakers in Congress to push for the passage of two stalled federal election reform bills.

Texas House Democrats will not return to the state until the special session of the Legislature is over. State Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer said the group of Democratic lawmakers plans to return to the Lone Star State on Aug. 7.

In recent days, their efforts to promote voting rights have been overshadowed by at least six COVID-19 infections cropping among the circle of Texas Democrats, who were seen on a charter plane before landing in Washington without wearing masks, a measure the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises as a standard requirement for airlines and other travel vessels.

The Washington Examiner contacted Abbott's office but did not immediately receive a comment.

Tags:News, Greg Abbott, Texas, Democrats, Voting rights

Original Author:Kaelan Deese

Original Location:Texas Democrat makes 'slave' comparison to Gov. Abbott's arrest threats

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    3 years ago

I am not sure why the Texas Democrat did this.

Perhaps not everyone thought she was an idiot before, but now..............

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    3 years ago

Will Texas' throwback Governor Greg Abbott loose the bloodhound on runaway Democratic legislators?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2    3 years ago
Will Texas' throwback Governor Greg Abbott loose the bloodhound on runaway Democratic legislators?

All he has to do is to wait them out. He can keep calling special sessions as long as the Legislature is not already in session.

Democrats will have to return at some point, and the law will be passed.

The theatrical show being put on will have no noticeable effects, other than to ensure another Democratic loss in Texas come the next elections.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.1  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    3 years ago

True, Abbott is insuring the gop controls Texas.

For another election cycle then all bets are off!

As Trump voters die off the electorate changes.

The gop can't rig it against the majority forever.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    3 years ago
True, Abbott is insuring the gop controls Texas.

No, Democrats are ensuring that through their childish antics.

For another election cycle then all bets are off!

Been hearing similar crap every election in Texas since 1994.

Do you know what is significant about 1994?

As Trump voters die off the electorate changes.

If THAT is what Democrats are banking on, I am ecstatic!

Nothing is rigged. Otherwise, you would show some proof of said rigging.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago

And also define "majority". If the dems were the majority, how in the hell does the GOP supposedly control Texas? As a minority? LMAO

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    3 years ago
Nothing is rigged. Otherwise, you would show some proof of said rigging.

A Brief History of Texas Gerrymandering

rawImage.jpg Texas02.jpg

180625_District_90_Map.jpg 1018-drawl_udrmxh.jpg

Don't bother replying Texan1211, we all know you'll just deny it with no facts behind your denial.

KENSOBMKNQ7ILKFUNRZ2H6JPWA.png

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.5    3 years ago

Evidently the court doesn't agree with the assumption..........from your link.

"the Supreme Court rejected almost all claims that Republican lawmakers in the state had drawn electoral districts to intentionally dilute minority voters’ influence"

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.7  Jack_TX  replied to  JBB @2.1.1    3 years ago

You've never actually been to Texas, have you?

Jack_TX
Professor Quiet
2.1.8  Jack_TX  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.6    3 years ago

The real gerrymandering is done with the US Senate elections......

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.6    3 years ago
"the Supreme Court rejected almost all claims that Republican lawmakers in the state had drawn electoral districts to intentionally dilute minority voters’ influence"

My comment, link, and graphs were educational in nature.  And your quote was NOT what SCOTUS said about it, it was a quote from right wing bloggers.  It was someone's opinion.

JBB
Professor Principal
2.1.10  JBB  replied to  Jack_TX @2.1.7    3 years ago

I am an Okie but lived in Dallas for nine years.

The gop has gerrymandered and suppressed minorities for generations in Texas but those days are waning. All those young black and brown Texans are becoming voters. The old time white establishment is losing power...

The big California companies moving to Texas for tax reasons are also having a liberalizing effect on many Texas metropolitan areas. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.5    3 years ago

Gerrymandering is done by both parties when they can do it. To pretend otherwise is to ignore reality.

BTW, SCOTUS has upheld gerrymandering. I wonder why Democrats didn't bother to complain about gerrymandering when they were doing it for decades.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.12  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    3 years ago
Gerrymandering is done by both parties when they can do it.

Care to provide any examples of democratic gerrymandering?  I'll give you a clue, there currently are none.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.13  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.12    3 years ago
Care to provide any examples of democratic gerrymandering?  I'll give you a clue, there currently are none.

You couldn't find even ONE?

Seriously going to stick with that?

How hard did you actually LOOK, if at all?

Because I found one in less than 30 seconds.

The 12 Most Gerrymandered Districts In America (ranker.com)

Unless, of course, you truly believe that Massachusetts, Maryland, and Illinois are not blue states, of course.

Do you believe that?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.14  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.12    3 years ago
I'll give you a clue, there currently are none.

Why are you pretending that there are no Democratic-gerrymandered districts?

From WHAT website did you get your "information" from?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.15  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.13    3 years ago
Because I found one in less than 30 seconds.

Too bad you didn't actually read what you found.  I told you that there currently were none, and your response was about some from 4 - 5 years ago, that are no longer gerrymandered.

Not only that, you have gone and rebutted "Just Jim NC TttH" by showing that SCOTUS has not ruled against gerrymandering.

In May of 2017, the Supreme Court ordered two gerrymandered districts in North Carolina to be redrawn because they were designed to segregate voters by race, and other districts have been stricken down by the courts as well. While these individual wins are terrific for democracy, some of the most gerrymandered districts in America are still skewing the electoral system.

So thank you for that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.16  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.15    3 years ago
Too bad you didn't actually read what you found.  I told you that there currently were none, and your response was about some from 4 - 5 years ago, that are no longer gerrymandered.

Oh, Ozzwald, really?

So now you are claiming that districts drawn aren't current districts?

Perhaps looking closer at the link would have revealed this:

Maryland takes gerrymandering to a whole new level with its 3rd district, which throws all logic aside with its bizarre shape. This seat in congress has been held by the Democrats since the district was redrawn in 2000, and it isn't likely to change hands in the near future.

The 3rd isn't the only district in the state affected by this gerrymandering. Maryland districts are among the least compact and most gerrymandered in the country.

So, while the district was drawn in 2000, (by Democrats), it has not been significantly changed since then.

The Massachusetts district is still being used.

Your claim about 4-5 years ago is simply ludicrous. Districts are drawn after the census, which happens every 10 years. Obviously that means that the districts drawn in 2010 are the current ones being used while legislatures draw up new ones after receiving the info from the 2020 census. That means that states didn't redraw districts 4-5 years ago.

Not only that, you have gone and rebutted "Just Jim NC TttH" by showing that SCOTUS has not ruled against gerrymandering.

I was speaking directly to you to prove to YOU that SCOTUS has approved or allowed gerrymandered districts to stand. If you can show me a case where the Court has struck down all gerrymandering, simply do it and prove your claim.

Here is some more proof to support my claim:

Redistricting and the Supreme Court: The Most Significant Cases (ncsl.org)

Now I will give you the chance to prove your claim by citing a single case before SCOTUS which struck down all gerrymandering.

I look forward to reading your links proving your claim.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.17  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.16    3 years ago
I was speaking directly to you to prove to YOU that SCOTUS has approved or allowed gerrymandered districts to stand. If you can show me a case where the Court has struck down all gerrymandering, simply do it and prove your claim.

tenor.gif?itemid=9264828

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.18  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.17    3 years ago

So you have absolutely nothing to support your ludicrous claims.

I expected that.

Have you even bothered to Google "most gerrymandered districts in America" yet?

Have you learned when districts are drawn?

Has it been proven to you yet that there are, indeed, Democratic-gerrymandered districts in America TODAY, despite your ridiculous and false claim that there are none??

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.18    3 years ago
So you have absolutely nothing to support your ludicrous claims.

What claim is that? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.20  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.19    3 years ago
What claim is that? 

You should pay more attention. Already pointed it out.

This one. Perhaps you may remember your own words:

I have proven your claim to be completely false.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.21  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.19    3 years ago

Have you even bothered to Google "most gerrymandered districts in America" yet?

Have you learned when districts are drawn?

Has it been proven to you yet that there are, indeed, Democratic-gerrymandered districts in America TODAY, despite your ridiculous and false claim that there are none??

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.22  Ronin2  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.12    3 years ago

Took less than a second to prove you wrong.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.23  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @2.1.22    3 years ago
Took less than a second to prove you wrong.

Have you read the articles?  The democratic districts listed were gerrymandered by republicans to lock the democrats into that district and the republicans into the surrounding ones.

Example 1: "The 9th was designed by the Republican who controlled state mapmaking in 2001 to get rid of a Democratic House member, by making two incumbents living more than 100 miles apart compete for one seat."

Example 2: "Maryland's 3rd is atrocious. And the narrow nature of most of the district — constructed to favor Democrats — makes it difficult for residents to know whether they are physically in the district or not."  UH OH!

BUT: The seat is held by Democrat John Sarbanes, the author of HR 1, the House-passed electoral reform package that includes a provision turning House redistricting over to independent commissions in every state.

Example 3:  Without these contortions, Alabama's seven-member House delegation could quite possibly have a second Democratic — and potentially black — member in addition to Terri Sewell.

Example 4:  The 6th, held by Republican Garrett Graves, is highly gerrymandered to ensure it has remained consistently red. 

Example 5: 6th was drawn by Democrats to pack as many Republican voters as possible into a single meandering district.

Example 6:  The 2nd District, held since the start of the year by Dan Crenshaw, is the result of extreme Republican gerrymandering in Texas. If the district were less oddly shaped and contorted it would actually be quite difficult for a Republican to win in this area.

Example 7: If the capital of Texas, and its fourth-largest city, was all in one congressional district, it would most certainly be a deep blue bastion.

Example 8:  there's an issue with the three counties that are the most populous in the state and form the core of Atlanta's metropolitan area. They are subdivided to a troubling extent.

Example 9:  Ohio's 4th District is known as "the duck," with its bill up in the northern counties just under Lake Erie. It has no defining quality or characteristic.

Example 10: Email correspondence among GOP operatives in 2011, obtained by Michigan news outlets, included one summarizing the party's control over the House mapmaking: "In a glorious way that makes it easier to cram ALL of the Dem garbage in Wayne, Washtenaw, Oakland and Macomb counties into only four districts," the 14th among them.

Example 11:  While strange shapes can be used to crack and pack voters, the 4th's unusual shape connects two Hispanic and solidly Democratic communities, and combining them allows Latinos in the city to have an equal opportunity to participate in the political process.

Example 12:  A new congressional map for 2020 was redrawn by the Republcian-majority General Assembly in November to settle a lawsuit alleging the map described here so favored the GOP that it violated the state Constitution's "fair elections" clause.

So of the 12 from YOUR OWN LINK, # 2 is Democratic, however the democrat from that district is trying to push through a law that would re-divide it, so it really can't count since if he had his way it would not be gerrymandered.

# 5 is about the only one that would qualify as gerrymandering to keep a particular democrat in power.

# 11, according to your link, was done to give Latino's an opportunity to participate, so it also doesn't really qualify.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.24  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.23    3 years ago

But your claim was that there were NO Democratic-gerrymandered districts anywhere in America.

You even made a wisecrack about how you were giving me a clue that there were NONE.

You have been shown how wrong that crackpot theory is.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.25  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.24    3 years ago
But your claim was that there were NO Democratic-gerrymandered districts anywhere in America.

Wow, you got me, I guess I was wrong.  Republicans only do 95% of gerrymandering, not 100%.  Feel better now???

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.26  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.25    3 years ago
Wow, you got me, I guess I was wrong. 

No need for guessing about it.

Why couldn't you just admit that yesterday when I proved it to you?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.27  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.26    3 years ago

Why couldn't you just admit that yesterday when I proved it to you?

Because I was letting you dig your own hole.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.28  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.27    3 years ago
Because I was letting you dig your own hole.  

Digging my own hole by supplying facts to refute an amazingly wrong and false claim?

I'll take it!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.29  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.28    3 years ago
Digging my own hole by supplying facts to refute an amazingly wrong and false claim?

By letting you show how republicans are unable to win without cheating. 

By showing that the ratio of republicans using underhanded tactics, to the ration of democrats using them, is unbelievably high.

By letting you provide links that show 1 case of democratic gerrymandering in comparison to 10 republican ones, and that the republican ones are more extreme.

All thanks to your linked news stories.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.30  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.29    3 years ago
By letting you show how republicans are unable to win without cheating. 

Okay, Republicans can't win in Maryland and Massachusetts because of Democratic gerrymandering, got it, thanks.

Your claim stated specifically that there were NO Democratic gerrymandered districts anywhere.

All I did was prove that bullshit to be false.

Oh, BTFW, do you know what must occur before some party gets to draw gerrymandered districts?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.31  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.30    3 years ago

They gotta be winners!!!!!!!

Great point

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.32  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.31    3 years ago

The point virtually every progressive liberal misses.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Of course they do. Democrats like to pretend they have it just as bad today as slaves did. The south is just as racist now as it ever was etc.etc..

Oppression is their religion.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    3 years ago

Luckily, that dog won't hunt in Texas.

Sunshine
Professor Quiet
5  Sunshine    3 years ago

Have to say that the Democrats are in their element when it comes to political theatre.  They do exceed at it.

Abbot needs to issue a travel ban on them to prevent any further COVID outbreaks.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6  Sean Treacy    3 years ago

Ironic that a day after an actual ELECTED  democrat compares her plight to a slave the progressives here are outraged that a PUNDIT  made a hyperbolic comparison to the Holocaust.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Sean Treacy @6    3 years ago
Ironic that a day after an actual ELECTED  democrat compares her plight to a slave the progressives here are outraged that a PUNDIT  made a hyperbolic comparison to the Holocaust.

But once again, not very surprising.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    3 years ago

You had no problem when Geico M T Green did it when she compared wearing masks is like the Holocaust.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    3 years ago
ou had no problem when Geico M T Green did it when she compared wearing masks is like the Holocaust.

Why are you deflecting?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.3  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.1    3 years ago
You had no problem when Geico M T Green did

Instead of making wildly inaccurate statements like that, why not just ask me what I think of her?